We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Menziesia  (Read 1770 times)

Roma

Menziesia
« on: June 13, 2016, 11:17:25 PM »
Menziesia ciliicalyx 'Honshu Blue'
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 10:30:07 AM by Roma »
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Tristan_He

Re: Menziesii
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2016, 11:50:29 PM »
That's lovely Roma. But how do you pronounce it - as it's written or as in Ming the Merciless..?  ;D

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 02:44:19 AM »
I think most people would call it Men zees ia but I like to go with my Scottish grandparents' pronunciation. They always referred to the late Australian Prime Minister as Robert Mingies. :)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Steve Garvie

• Rainbirder's photostream
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2016, 09:37:27 AM »
This discussion reminds me of an incident in my youth when camping near Loch Tay.
The land on which we were camping was owned by an old lady who also ran a nearby guesthouse. She was keen that we visit Fortingall to see the ancient Yew tree -claimed to be the oldest living thing in Europe. She also told us that Fortingall was the birthplace of Pontius Pilate and that "a'body here kens that Pontius Pilate's mither wis a Menzies" (Ming-us)!  :o
WILDLIFE PHOTOSTREAM: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rainbirder/

Steve
West Fife, Scotland.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal