We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: 2016 - Robert's adventures in the Northern Sierra Nevada - California  (Read 107664 times)

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
Re: 2016 - Robert's adventures in the Northern Sierra Nevada - California
« Reply #345 on: May 28, 2016, 09:24:57 PM »

. . . . .
Despite the rain, soaking and chill I was still pleased with the day. . . . .

Robert,

Seems you forgot to bring woolen underwear as well as raingear ;D

In your case I believe that any rain is welcome! Although you didn't manage to photograph every plant you saw you did a good job! Especially the Calochortus venustus :)
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #346 on: May 29, 2016, 10:58:24 PM »
Looks like a wonderful day despite the weather.

Anne,

It was indeed a wonderful day!  :)

I liked that it was raining as it often creates an almost magical ambiance when a body of water is completely placid and the surface is broken by the rain drops. This is how it started out. Even the tempest that arrived quickly had its feelings that were a pleasure to experience.

The plants were enjoyable too.  :)
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #347 on: May 29, 2016, 11:33:53 PM »
Robert,

Seems you forgot to bring woolen underwear as well as raingear ;D

In your case I believe that any rain is welcome! Although you didn't manage to photograph every plant you saw you did a good job! Especially the Calochortus venustus :)

Trond,

I actually enjoy late spring, summer, and early autumn thunderstorm activity in the Sierra Nevada. When I was younger, I was a storm chaser of sorts. When I saw the first signs of a thunderstorm activity in the afternoon, I would drive off it see exactly where it was located and what sort of weather was being created. For me this was fun.

The foothill region more or less received average precipitation for the season (at least in our area and to the north, the southern Sierra and foothill region did not receive average). The new season will start 1 July. There is still a considerable amount of snow at the higher elevations. One can see it in some of the photographs I took. Also, all of our local reservoirs are full!

I know that I like to make a photographic record of my outings, partly to help tell the story behind each outing. I saw some interesting and unusual plants on this outing that could have helped around out the story as well as give some indication of some of the more detailed observations that I am making. For me at least, photographs of this nature are often difficult to make and / or can be time consuming.

Much of what I do now requires detailed observations and patient, methodical progress (i.e. hand lens, metric measurements, GPS details, etc. ). I go slow. For me, it is my tiny contribution to horticulture. For me, it was a little disappointing missing the opportunity to at least attempt some photographs of the less common plant species or species that could help round out the whole perspective. I have to admit my overall feeling is one of gratitude. For me, I feel very fortunate to have this marvelous opportunity to contribute something very good while I am on this planet.

I always appreciate your comments and observations!  :)
Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #348 on: May 31, 2016, 08:44:05 PM »
Too all the faithful who read my plant diary -

My wife and I were in an automobile accident. The auto needs repair. We need repairs.

Sadly, there will be no outings until things get fixed.

Thank you for your understanding.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #349 on: May 31, 2016, 08:51:01 PM »
Horrible news Robert- hope you and Jasmin are soon back to full fitness- and the auto too.  Rest up meantime and get well.
All best wishes,

Maggi and Ian
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 08:54:08 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Hoy

« Reply #350 on: May 31, 2016, 09:02:01 PM »
Robert,

Very sad to hear that! But very glad you both survived albeit not unscratched. Hope both of you recover quickly and that the car can be mended. I will miss your reports. They are always welcome.

God bedring!

Robert

« Reply #351 on: June 01, 2016, 12:09:12 AM »
Trond and Maggi,

I am beginning to think that my life is a "soap opera" (a la U.S.A. T.V.).  :)

In California it is the law to stop at cross walks and let pedestrians cross the road. We stopped at the cross walk to let a woman and her dog cross the road. We were hit in the rear of our truck by a man who did not stop. The woman and her dog were not harmed, however we and the truck got banged up. The woman, Sylvia, was so sweet. She lived close by, went home, and brought back water and a sweet treat for us. She was also a witness to the accident so the cable company will have to pay for our truck repairs and any medical attention we might need. I think that we are going to be okay, just sore right now. I have looked at the truck and I think that it can be repaired too. The frame is okay, however the truck will need a new bed, bumper, tail gate, and rear lights.

Right now my time is required settling the whole situation. What a "soap opera"! We are so thankful that no one was hurt seriously, including the driver of the other vehicle. He must feel terrible emotionally! After all he did not want to hit our truck, it was just an accident.

In time I am sure that this will all get straightened out. If time permits I might be able to do some location botany at the Sacramento River. It is only a short distance away and I can walk there or ride my bicycle. My wife and I were there just the other day. The habitat has been severely altered, however I could be fun trying to turn such an outing into something interesting. Right now I need to nurse my wounds and feel better.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

astragalus

« Reply #352 on: June 01, 2016, 01:20:42 AM »
Robert, so sorry to hear of the accident. Hope you are fully recovered quickly.
Steep, rocky and cold in the
Hudson River Valley in New York State

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #353 on: June 01, 2016, 02:54:37 AM »
That's very bad news Robert and I wish you both a speedy recovery. We will patiently wait for your wildflowers reports  :)
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Robert

« Reply #354 on: June 01, 2016, 08:50:04 PM »
North Fork of the Mokelomne River

Part I

Wednesday, 13 April 2016

Sacramento Weather

Weather: Partly Cloudy
High: 72 F (22 C), Low: 50 F (10 C)

There are two outings from April that I have never had the chance to report on. While I recover from the accident and our truck is repaired I can report on the outings.

I started out in the early morning across the Sacramento Valley toward the Sierra Nevada Foothills. In April the valley was still green. Most of the open space in the valley is occupied as crop or grazing land. Often one can still see remnants of the native valley flora in the strip between the highway and the private property fence line.

Ithuriel's Spear, Triteleia laxa, is a remnant species often seen along the highway.

After a lengthy drive, I arrived at Tiger Creek Reservoir. Tiger Creek is a tributary to the North Fork of the Mokelomne River. Situated at 2,360 feet (719 meters), this was to be the low point of this outing as I would work my way up the Mokelomne River Canyon toward Salt Springs Reservoir.

Silene laciniata ssp. californica was at the peak of its blooming cycle and were frequently seen.

Calochortus albus is generally associated with foothill habitat a bit lower down the mountain, however I did see a few here and there as I checked around the reservoir.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 10:55:48 PM by Robert »
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Hoy

« Reply #355 on: June 01, 2016, 10:11:40 PM »

There are two outings from April that I have never had the chance to report on. While I recover from the accident and our truck is repaired I can report on the outings.

Luckily your fingers didn't get damaged in the accident ;)

Robert

« Reply #356 on: June 01, 2016, 11:02:46 PM »
Luckily your fingers didn't get damaged in the accident ;)

Trond,

I wish that I could say the same for my back and neck!  :'(

I can tell that I am not 20 years old..... but then maybe this is a blessing.  ;D

Anyway, everything is getting settled quickly. We will be getting some body work for our injuries. This should help greatly.  The truck is scheduled to be fixed soon.  :)

Now back to the outing......
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #357 on: June 01, 2016, 11:20:57 PM »

There was an interesting diversity of species around the reservoir, most the the species being ones that I also see in El Dorado county to the north.

Tauschia hartwegii is a foothill species from the Apiaceae family. It is fairly common, but generally not in huge numbers within its range.

Within the mid-elevation zone, Osmorhiza berteroi, is much more common. It is not uncommon to see this species mixed with Trail Plant, Adenocaulon bicolor, and Lysimachia (Trientalis) latifolia carpeting the forest floor.

In shady areas there were many colonies of Viola sheltonii. This species blooms extremely early in the season. All the plants I saw had long since finished blooming.

Lathyrus nevadensis was in its prime.

I spotted some excellent specimens of this species, some of the best I have come across. Some had large trusses of deep lavender-blue flowers. I took many photographs, but the the best did not turn out.  :'(
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #358 on: June 01, 2016, 11:43:54 PM »

After spending some time around the reservoir, I moved up into the Tiger Creek drainage. The road into this area is a very steep, narrow one lane track. It is used frequently by the power utility company and their large trucks. This made travel interesting to say the least. Speed was not an issue for the truck drivers as they plowed their way down the track. The goal for other drivers was to find a sliver on the edge of the road so they could pass without ones own vehicle tumbling off the road down into the canyon.

I did find a large turn-out and parked the truck. From there I hiked the track on foot checking on the plants along the way. April was peak blooming season for Deer Brush, Ceanothus integerrimus var. macrothyrsus at this elevation.

Collomia heterophylla is a very common annual species at this elevation. Some were just starting to bloom.

Another annual is Mimulus kelloggii. It is a delight to see them in numbers again. During the drought years I rarely saw them and the plants that I did see were very stressed and very stunted.

Our other common native Lathyrus species, L. sulphureus, was in bloom too. I indicate native as there are a few non-native invasive Lathyrus species that grow in our area too.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 11:47:32 PM by Robert »
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #359 on: June 02, 2016, 12:08:23 AM »

It is fascinating looking back in time with the photographs. In April Sanicula bipinnatifida can be found in bloom almost everywhere. As of today, 1 June, they have quickly dried, produced seed, and are in summer dormancy for the most part.

Another species that I am seeing in numbers this year is Calochortus monophyllus.

I am not sure if drought conditions or just coincidence accounts for the difference. It is very very compact species that is very easily cultivated in our climate. Some plants seem tolerant of some summertime moisture, however I generally like to keep them summer dry.

Lupinus nanus is an annual species. Their numbers have certainly increased this year. There have been some fantastic displays this year.

After hiking down the road for a distance, I finally arrive where a stream ran down the side of the mountain. Here there were large colonies of Mimulus guttatus blooming on the moist rocks. Juncus balticus and a Cyperus species were two other species that I noted from this location.  ???
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal