We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: 2016 - Robert's adventures in the Northern Sierra Nevada - California  (Read 107681 times)

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
Re: 2016 - Robert's adventures in the Northern Sierra Nevada - California
« Reply #210 on: April 23, 2016, 08:37:11 AM »
As always it is a great pleasure to follow you on your outings, Robert!

Even at that altitude the spring is more advanced than here and the flora of the conifer forest is more interesting than conifer forests here.
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #211 on: April 23, 2016, 05:36:52 PM »
Trond,

This report will mostly likely be broken into 3 parts. The last part of this outing was at a much higher elevation where some winter snow was still on the ground.

Yes, the flora here in this part of California seems very rich indeed. This time of year I am logging well over 100 different taxa on any given outing. In addition, there is often considerable variation within any given species. I like to record this too. Needless to say this keeps me very busy and makes each outing extremely interesting.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #212 on: April 23, 2016, 06:47:45 PM »
Flemming Meadow
Part II

I ended the last installment at the natural rock garden above Camp Creek.

This site is a south facing, rocky slope, open to the full sun. Most of this site is very xeric during the summer, however there is an open spring very close by on this slope.

I have found 3 species of Mimulus at this site. Mimulus kelloggii is one of the first species to come into bloom.

Mimulus bicolor is another early bloomer, however it reaches peak bloom about 10 days after Mimulus kelloggii.

Each Mimulus species has an extended blooming season so there is considerable overlap in their blooming cycles.

The color combinations with just the two Mimulus species is quite showy, however when other species come into the act it can be spectacular.
Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #213 on: April 23, 2016, 07:10:09 PM »

Blue Dicks, Dichelostemma capitatum, is another species that grows abundantly at this site. The large drifts are very showy.

Blue Dicks are often growing in combination with Mimulus kelloggii and M. bicolor. The fern Pellaea mucronata with Acmispon parviflorus and Epilobium brachycarpum are often added to this mix. This is only Act I of this natural scene. Gilia capitata, Eriophyllum lanatum var. croceum, Penstemon heterophylla, and Dudleya cymosa are some of the other species that will come into bloom a little later in the season.

I mentioned the spring nearby. Here a completely different set a species are found growing. At this time Mimulus guttatus is in full bloom.

As I moved on down the trail toward Camp Creek I continued to find blooming plants of Mimulus bicolor.

Always one of the earliest species to come into bloom in our foothill region is Lacepod, Thysanocarpus curvipes. This species was found in bloom too. It is indeed early spring at this elevation.

As I moved closer to Camp Creek the forest began to close in again.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #214 on: April 23, 2016, 07:28:34 PM »

There were still areas of intense sunlight along the slope. In these areas grew drifts of Calochortus monophyllus.

With the Calochortus were clumps of the Asteraceae, Helianthella californica.

There was a tremendous amount of blooming color in this area and the flowering peak for Act I was still 1 to 2 weeks away.

I found this Cirsium species hiding in the shade of a Ceanothus plant. Some species can have very attractive silvery foliage. I am currently testing some in our garden. I am cautious as they could prove to be weedy.

The last stretch of the trail to Camp Creek becomes very shady again. Here I found Maianthemum racemosum budded and ready to bloom soon. In this area there were considerable numbers of ferns, mostly Polystichum imbricans ssp. curtum, Cystopteris fragilis, and Dryopteris arguta. Yet to start blooming were Clintonia, Dicentra formosa, Fragaria vesca, as well as others.

Finally at Camp Creek with a good head of water flowing.

Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #215 on: April 23, 2016, 07:34:47 PM »

Down by Camp Creek I found one plant of Ribes nevadense. This species has showy pink flowers that I find quite attractive.

I had two other sites I wanted to check on this day, so now it was time to return to the truck.

Part III will have the last part of this outing.

I hope that you are enjoying this!  :)
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
« Reply #216 on: April 23, 2016, 08:47:13 PM »
Another great trek Robert, thanks for taking me along with you;-)
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

Robert

« Reply #217 on: April 23, 2016, 11:23:02 PM »
Another great trek Robert, thanks for taking me along with you;-)

Ian,

You are very welcome.

Finally everything is getting caught-up and back to normal.  :)

I have some great projects planned for this coming summer and autumn. It will be a pleasure to share these with everyone.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #218 on: April 24, 2016, 01:59:54 AM »

I have some great projects planned for this coming summer and autumn. It will be a pleasure to share these with everyone.
Looking forward to those project reports, Robert!
Those mimulus are quite endearing :)
do natural hybrids arise where they flower together?
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #219 on: April 24, 2016, 02:44:22 AM »
Your new outing made for such an interesting evening read Robert, as always  :)
And once again I learned about a few new species!
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #220 on: April 24, 2016, 06:18:03 PM »
Robert,
Thanks again for your reports and especially for mentioning the violets in particular!

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #221 on: April 24, 2016, 07:03:55 PM »

.  .  .  .  .  .

I hope that you are enjoying this!  :)

Oh yes, Robert, of course!

Although we have full sun today it is no pleasure to be outside. The air is very cold for the season and a steady strong wind from north makes it feel even colder. Freezing temperature is expected tonight.

It is not many wild plants blooming at the moment around here so therefore I have a good time looking at yours ;)
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Robert

« Reply #222 on: April 24, 2016, 10:36:07 PM »

Those mimulus are quite endearing :)
do natural hybrids arise where they flower together?
cheers
fermi

Fermi,

This is a very interesting question. I have wondered about this myself. To date I have not observed any natural hybrids between any of the Mimulus species. As you can see from the photographs some species often grow and bloom right next to each other. I keep an open mind about such things. In general I have observed natural hybrids in other species in their natural habitat. Then there are many other suspected hybrids that I have not been able to confirm as of yet.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #223 on: April 24, 2016, 10:45:01 PM »
Robert,
Thanks again for your reports and especially for mentioning the violets in particular!

Gerd

Gerd,

I have a keen interest in Viola species myself. When possible I will be reporting on those I find in their natural habitat. I have volunteered in a multi-year project on the flora of the Lyon's Creek area in California. 5 Viola species grow in this area. So far, this is the only area where I have seen possible natural hybrids between our different species. The snow is just starting to melt and leave the ground in the lower elevations of this study site. Most likely I will be visiting this area in the next two weeks, however the Violas will not be blooming for at least another month at the earliest.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #224 on: April 24, 2016, 10:52:13 PM »
Gabriela and Trond,

I am very pleased to be online again and it certainly feels good to know that my efforts are appreciated.  :)

Trond,

The weather has turned cool here too. There has been some rainfall and snow in the mountains. Delaying the hot, dry season is good, especially considering the past 4 years of extreme drought conditions.

I look forward to your wildflower season. It seems that it must be right around the corner!
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal