We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: 2016 - Robert's adventures in the Northern Sierra Nevada - California  (Read 107675 times)

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
Re: 2016 - Robert's adventures in the Northern Sierra Nevada - California
« Reply #180 on: March 25, 2016, 04:49:56 AM »
Trond,

Much of California would become heavily overgrown to the detriment of the flora without fire. The crown fires we have now are very destructive too. I have witnessed the benefits of less intense fire countless times. Learning fire management and gaining public acceptance is a challenge. Some of my Native American friends attempted to share their knowledge of the traditional use of fire by their people with the U.S. Forest Service. Unfortunately, not much progress was made in this regard. We still have a long way to go, however I am hopeful progress can be made.

We also have another native Primula, P. suffrutescens, the Sierra Primrose. It indeed looks like a "Primula", at least when it is flowering. The foliage is somewhat spoon shaped (spatulate) and the foliage has a "succulent" look to it. It looks nothing like a Dodecantheon type Primula.

I never came across any this past summer, however I know a number of sites where they do grow. I have some photographs on my other computer, but my Lexar zip-drive quit functioning the other day. I'll try to access the photographs anyway.  They are very beautiful. :)
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #181 on: March 26, 2016, 03:52:18 AM »
A few photographs from the farm and the vicinity.

Ranunculus occidentalis var occidentalis. These are growing on the farm property. A return to average rainfall and better stewardship has increased their numbers dramatically.

Drifts of Nemophila menziesii growing near the entrance to the freeway.

Their numbers too have increased this year.

A close up.

Gilia tricolor.

The Nemophila grow about 1/2 mile (0.8 km) north of the farm. The serpentine rock strata is south of the farm by less than 1/2 mile. It continues southward for an unknown distance. I found more Gilia tricolor on this formation about 1 mile (1.6 km) south of the farm. The whole area is private property so my ability to explore the serpentine formation is extremely limited. I was very pleased to find more Gilia tricolor in this area.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 01:52:24 PM by Maggi Young »
Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #182 on: March 27, 2016, 05:32:43 AM »
Out on errands today I used the scenic route. Traverse Creek is not that far away so I decided to take a quick look around.

With all the rain Traverse Creek was full of water. During some of the recent storms it was evident that it had flooded over its banks.

At 2,220 feet (677 meters) spring is a bit later to arrive, however there were many wildflowers in bloom.

The usual masses of Goldfields, Lasthenia californica.

They are still blooming down the road at the farm, but it does not hurt my feelings to see more.

Plenty of Lomatiums in bloom too. This is L. utriculatum. L. marginatum also was in bloom. Other Apiaceae were Sanicula bipinnatifida, S. crassicaulis, and the weedy non-native invasive Torilis arvensis.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #183 on: March 27, 2016, 05:44:26 AM »

I see plenty of Butter and Eggs, Triphysaria eriantha, where ever I go this time of year. Not many at Traverse Creek this year.

One of the treats for today was seeing Lewisia rediviva in bloom.

I found some blooming plants, many with unopened flower buds, and many seedlings. It is good to see them reproducing well.

For me the best treat was finding Viola douglasii in bloom.

I did not have much time, so it was back to the scenic route. Along the scenic route the Wildflowers, Act I, was in full bloom. I will post photographs from this part of the journey a little later.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #184 on: March 27, 2016, 07:13:38 AM »
Robert,

I have read of the importance of regular natural fires in many ecosystems. A few places along the coast here in Norway they still put fire to the heath to maintain the open landscape. It has to be done at the right time of the year (early spring when the soil is still frozen or at least soaked) and when the weather is right also.

I take a look at your posts every morning if I have time before the others wake up :)
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #185 on: March 27, 2016, 12:08:17 PM »
Robert, your posts epitomises everything that is wonderful about wildflowers. It is this sort of post that most excites me in the forum - there is nothing like  the pleasure of  seeing  flowers  "doing their thing" in  profusion.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Robert

« Reply #186 on: March 27, 2016, 03:52:12 PM »
Trond, Maggi,

There is very much a story to be told here. Often, I think about Dick Proenneke and his documentation of the Twin Lakes area in Alaska. His films and diary were instrumental in the creation of Twin Lakes Wilderness and National Park.

The flora of our part of California is just one small piece of the pie in our gardening palate. Then there are the other benefits that come from awareness and conservation of our natural habitats. I wish very much to continue this floral diary. My wish is that it be inspirational and beneficial to as many as possible.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #187 on: March 27, 2016, 05:17:10 PM »

The scenic route to and from town follows the South Fork of the American River. The road traverses the north canyon side winding in and out of the side canyons and creeks that flow into the American River.

Many of the early blooming wildflowers are still flowering and in their prime, however the first of the mid-season bloomers are now getting started.

Pretty Faces, Triteleia ixiodes, is one of the mid-season wildflowers. Soon there will be various species of Delphinium, Scutellaria, Collinsia, Calochortus, and many more starting into bloom.

Phacelia imbricata, one of our perennial Phacelia species. Most often they are found on dry sunny banks and rock faces.

Lithophragma bolanderi. A very pretty perennial and a broad-leafed species that has a small "bulb" from which it returns each season.

Broom. In this case Cytisus scoparius. It is attractive in bloom, however it is also a major invasive pest in our part of California.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #188 on: March 27, 2016, 05:26:13 PM »

Lupinus albifron is still blooming. This specimen is one of the better forms I have seen in this area.

At a different site I found a few more Mimulus kelloggii.

These were right next to the road, of easy access for photography and hopefully gathering some seed later in the season.

One of our perennila Lathyrus species, L. sulphureus. I find it very attractive and hope to cultivate it in our garden.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #189 on: March 27, 2016, 05:45:12 PM »

Lupinus bicolor. This is one of our "dwarf" annual species. The flowers and flowering spikes are somewhat small, however when they grow in quantity they are very showy.

Lupinus nanus is another one of our annual "dwarf" species. It is very similar to L. bicolor, however one of its attributes is its larger flowers that are very showy too, especially when seen in large drifts.  I did not see any of this species today.

The flora along this stretch of the American River is surprisingly rich. I have been conducting a detailed survey of the flora in this area for the past 3 years. I am still finding something new to this area every season. Layia pentachaeta is one such species. This is the first time I have observed this annual species anywhere in our area. Maybe I have not been in the right place at the right time. Regardless, I was extremely pleased to find a small colony.

Considering I was only driving back and forth from town, I was very pleased with the outcome.

Until next time....   :)
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #190 on: March 28, 2016, 09:00:28 AM »
I am back home - out of the white montane landscape and into the grey and rainy coast. Not much has happened here except a few more bulbs in bloom, and all the early iris flowers eaten by slugs :(

It is therefore a pleasure to see your pictures, Robert :)

I am also looking at the soil ;D For example, the soil in the picture of the Layia. It seems to be very rocky and containing very little organic matter?

You say the broom (Cytisus scoparius) is a pest over there and I experienced the same in Argentina. The yellow roadsides were a pretty sight from afar but the native plants suffered. Here it is a rare (not native) shrub and (still) no pest although it has spread somewhat from gardens.

But three Lupinus species are considered pests here: Lupinus nootkatensis, L. polyphyllus and L. perennis.

Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #191 on: March 29, 2016, 08:41:24 AM »

One of the treats for today was seeing Lewisia rediviva in bloom.

I found some blooming plants, many with unopened flower buds, and many seedlings. It is good to see them reproducing well.

For me the best treat was finding Viola douglasii in bloom.

Robert,
Thank you once again for these illustrative photos. I would be glad if you tell me the type of rock in which the two species mentioned above are growing.

Gerd

Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #192 on: April 05, 2016, 11:26:08 AM »
Friends, Ian and I have  had a note from Robert:  He tells us that he is currently, and for the foreseeable future without a computer. He does hope  to be able to make occasional contact  with the forum via the  local library facilities. 
He and his wife are in Sacramento and are well   -  don't wory about them - Robert will return here in time, he is anxious to do so.   :) 8)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Robert

« Reply #193 on: April 15, 2016, 08:05:53 PM »
Greetings Friends!

Slowly, I am getting my computer problems cleared-up.

Wednesday, I traveled to the North Fork of the Mokelomne River - the Tiger and Panther Creeks areas. This is a very fascinating area with many interesting plants. I have a very good selection of photographs to share, but bare with me. I am learning "computer" "cold-turkey" and there is quite the learning curve for me. I am making progress, however progress is slow at times. It may be another week or two before I am up and running full speed again.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #194 on: April 15, 2016, 08:17:42 PM »
Salutations  :)

I am glad to hear about your new trips and computer 'advances'; looking fw to see more wildflowers!
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal