We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: 2016 - Robert's adventures in the Northern Sierra Nevada - California  (Read 107420 times)

ArnoldT

Re: 2016 - Robert's adventures in the Northern Sierra Nevada - California
« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2016, 05:15:01 PM »
Robert:

I had a look at Slick Rock from Google Earth.  Even from space it looks enormous.

Thanks,
Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2016, 05:43:38 PM »
Robert:

I had a look at Slick Rock from Google Earth.  Even from space it looks enormous.

Thanks,

Arnold,

8)  I will have to take a look for myself too.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2016, 06:14:56 PM »
Now to continue with the outing.....

Traversing the terrain was challenging. Giant, slick granite rock out-croppings and boulders were everywhere slowing my progress. Here (pictured) I lowered myself down a shute blocked by a tree trunk. It may look somewhat level, but it was fairly steep, requiring some caution to maneuver around and through.

Polypodium ferns, P. calirhiza, thrived in this shady, rocky terrain.

In other places Goldback Ferns, Pentagramma triangularis, grew abundantly. The weather had warmed enough where many were in active growth.

Another common species in such habitats is Hansen's Spike Moss, Selaginella hanseni.

This species creeps over rocks forming a green carpet during the cool weather of late autumn through spring. During the dry, hot summer months it browns and dries-up completely, looking dead. The years of drought have been very stressful on this species. I have observed many large dead patches that could not survive until the return of more abundant rainfall.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 02:31:03 AM by Robert »
Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2016, 06:38:28 PM »

Picking my way along, at this point it was necessary to crawl through this tunnel of rock.

All of this was well worth the effort. This area was rich with many species.

Dudleya cymosa was frequently seen on shaded ledges and rock faces. Generally I think of granite based soils as leached and nutrient poor, however many of the Dudleya seen appeared as though on steroids - giant rosettes like I have never seen before.

Another species enjoying the shady nooks was Tauschia hartwegii. This member of the Apiaceae family has umbels of yellow-green flowers that are not very showy, however I enjoy its pleasant ferny green foliage.

An excellent find in a shady crevice was the fern, Aspidotis californica. A. densum, Indian's Dream, is the species that I most frequently see when out in the field. A. californica has very lacy, finely cut fronds, while as those of A. densum are much more coarse. I look forward to getting some started and giving them a try in the garden.

Of coarse, the warm weather has brought may plants out of dormancy. California Buckeye emerges early and this one was well advanced in growth, however others in the area were barely starting to leaf.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #64 on: February 20, 2016, 07:03:44 PM »

Finally I reaches a meadow-like area perched above the river. This was a wonderful garden of annual and perennial species. Even this early in the season there were a number of plants in bloom. Eschscholzia caespitosa held there orange flowers closed one this overcast day. In other place there were pockets of the annual Leptosiphon (Linanthus) bicolor ready to push forth their flowers as the season progressed.

Red Maids, Calandrinia ciliata, sprinkled their small magenta flowers throughout the meadow. A white Plagiobothrys species was in bloom too. The members of this Boraginaceae family genus can be very difficult to key out to the species and I have to admit I did not make any effort to do so.... just too many other interesting things to see.  :)

This area was also very rich in bulb species. Nothing was blooming yet, however I found last year's dry pods of Calochortus albus. Pictured are the strong shoots of Dichelostemma capitatatum. I look forward to returning when many of the bulbs are in bloom.

Seedlings of Clarkia biloba congregated in shady areas. This annual will bring a late season burst of color to this meadow.

The annual Tomcat clover, Trifolium wildenovii, can be very attractive in its best forms. This species can produce masses of red-purple flowers later in the spring.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #65 on: February 20, 2016, 07:18:02 PM »

The river canyon eventually widened making hiking much easier.

There were still plenty of rock out-croppings to check on.

The showy Castilleja foliolosa grew near the rocks. I spotted one plant showing color ..... I was just a bit too early for their brillinant orange to orange-yellow flowers.

Another species I was too early to see in bloom was Delphinium patens. Many were well budded with flower buds, even a few showing color. Another reason to return soon.

This area is very popular with the locals as a swimming hole during the heat of the summer. Who knows, maybe I will be taking a refreshing dip later in the season too.

Yes, I am very pleased to be out again and look forward to many adventures this coming season and beyond..... and this site is only 20 minutes from the farm!  :)  Until next time.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #66 on: February 21, 2016, 02:30:05 AM »
Robert,
Amazing rocks and lanscape! The plants are great as well.
That pool looks very inviting as I look out over our very parched landscape ;D
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #67 on: February 21, 2016, 06:49:32 AM »
Trond,

Our annual Lupinus species flower, and set seed before the long hot season. They are certainly "cool season" annuals. They most likely would thrive for you providing they can be protected from slugs   :P . Growing them in containers is an option and well worth the effort. Lupinus stiversii has beautiful and interestingly colored flowers. I have yet to try it in our garden but it is high on my list of things to try.

Robert,

Fortunately the slugs are not a problem (so far!) at our summer house ;)
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #68 on: February 21, 2016, 07:00:18 AM »
Robert,

Interesting landscape and flora!
Have you ever tried to take cuttings of spikemoss? Hansen's spikemoss looks like a excellent ground cover.

Nice ferns also.

What is the water temperature in the pool now, do you think - and in the summer?
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Cfred72

« Reply #69 on: February 21, 2016, 08:36:35 AM »
Hi Robert. This is not only Gabriella who loves the story. I love him too. It was like traveling with you. One can discover plants in their natural environment. Thank you.  8)
Frédéric Catoul, Amay en Hesbaye, partie francophone de la Belgique.

Robert

« Reply #70 on: February 21, 2016, 02:41:54 PM »
Robert,

Interesting landscape and flora!
Have you ever tried to take cuttings of spikemoss? Hansen's spikemoss looks like a excellent ground cover.

Nice ferns also.

What is the water temperature in the pool now, do you think - and in the summer?

Trond,

I have never taken cuttings of the Spike Moss, but, yes, you get me thinking. In the wild it mostly grows over rocks, however in places it will creep over the ground too. I also suspect that with some summertime irrigation it will stay green. I will certainly will give it a try - excellent idea!  :) I'll report on how all of this turns out.

I would love to know what the water temperature is right now - certainly cold!  :o  Now that I am back working, a good thermometer that is durable enough to travel with me would be very useful (I definitely want to know the air temperature too!). In Sacramento there is a place called REI (a giant outdoor outfitting store - mountaineering, backpacking supplies etc.) where I might find such a thing.

In the summer the water temperature is very pleasant. When I was much younger, down stream I would swim down the river with a mask checking on what lurked in the deep pools and under rocks. I could stay in the water all day without getting cold, however my skin would eventually get "prune-like".  ;D  I do swim in Camp Creek, a tributary of the North Fork. The water is cool upstream but still comfortable.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #71 on: February 21, 2016, 02:46:13 PM »
Robert,
Amazing rocks and lanscape! The plants are great as well.
That pool looks very inviting as I look out over our very parched landscape ;D
cheers
fermi

Fermi,

I think that the plants will get even better as the blooming season gets started. This area is the start of a transition zones - the current northern limit of many southern species. I am quite excited about what I might find.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #72 on: February 21, 2016, 02:57:59 PM »
Hi Robert. This is not only Gabriella who loves the story. I love him too. It was like traveling with you. One can discover plants in their natural environment. Thank you.  8)

Fred,

I very much appreciate your comments!  :)  Even though I am writing extemporaneously, I very much want to weave a story into my narrative as much as possible. For me, listing and writing about the plants without some sort of personal story, history, tidbits about the species themselves, etc. can make the writing dry and lifeless. Writing does not come easy for me, however I will continue to strive for good writing that forumist will enjoy reading, feel inspired, and get something worthwhile from.

Thank again.  :)  Very  8)
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #73 on: February 21, 2016, 04:38:12 PM »
Robert - you can write as and when you like it. When it comes to plants in the wild habitats I am very easy going, anything will do  :o
The best next thing, when I am not exploring myself, is to read about others plant adventures!
(third being to try and grow the plants I found or read about :)
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Robert

« Reply #74 on: February 26, 2016, 05:42:18 AM »

Most of the morning and afternoon I spent exploring the north facing canyon side of the Middle Fork of the Cosumnes River. I was very satisfied with this outing. I will have a report in a few days as I get everything processed.

Late in the afternoon I traveled to a far different site to check on the Erythronium multiscapoideum.

I discovered this site last year on a tip from an acquaintance. I was told a new species grew at this location. This did not seem likely, however I listened carefully not wanting to discount someone's observation.

This is truly an amazing population. I have never seen E. multiscapoideum in such numbers - ever. The whole population must cover an area the size of a sports stadium, maybe even larger. The Erythroniums grow under the chaparral shrubbery so it is very difficult determining the complete size of the population, however it covers quite a distance and they have certainly been there a very long time.

I first started visiting this site when I was in High School - about 1970. It is amazing that I never saw them over the years, as they were "right under my nose". I have to admit that I mostly came during the summertime to swim, so the were long dormant by then.

Later in the 1970's, in the same area, I found a few plants of Garrya fremontii in the chaparral. I lost track of the plants over the years and thought that they might have died out and no longer be in the area. I spent some time the last to years looking around the chaparral for them. Well, today I found them growing, once again, "right under my nose".

The above plant, pictured, grew with several others along the main road. They had been cut to the ground for fire protection by the road crews, thus they did not have their hanging "catkin-like" inflorescence. What a shame as they are quite attractive.

I was also able to check on my good friend, Salvia sonomensis. I was very glad to see that they were not blooming yet. This Salvia has considerable color variation in this area, from deep blue, thru pale blue, to pink (rarely), and even white (very rare). I always like to check around to see what I might find during the blooming season. I will be returning to this area in a few weeks.

Also, on another errand, I found another population of Salvia sonomensis at a relatively high elevation for this species. These too I will check on later in the season.

Anyway, check for the report on the Middle Fork of the Cosumnes River in a few days.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal