We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: 2016 - Robert's adventures in the Northern Sierra Nevada - California  (Read 107399 times)

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
Re: 2016 - Robert's adventures in the Northern Sierra Nevada - California
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2016, 03:33:11 AM »

I had a very productive outing today on the North Fork of the Cosumnes River. There is much for me to process, however I hope to have the first part of a report up in 2-3 days. The granite base rock created an interesting habitat. Of the 60 -70 species scene today at least 1-2 were newly cataloged. This area is at the northern limit of many south Sierra Nevada Foothill species. As the blooming season progress I think that much more will turn up.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 04:58:46 PM by Robert »
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2016, 07:23:27 AM »
Trond,

Yes, Ranunculus californicus is typical and often is the most abundant spring wildflower. Somewhere I have a photograph showing the savannah completely carpeted with this species in bloom on our farm property.

A sea of blooming Anemone nemorosa must be very beautiful. I happen to grow a few patched of this species here at the farm. I would like to see a large stand of Hepatica nobilis in bloom. This must be a most satisfying sight.

Enjoy your time at the cabin. Yes, I would love to join you in some cross-country skiing!  :)

Robert,

Here Ranunculus acris can make up a flowering meadow (especially on moist nutrient poor soil) but it is an early high summer sign.

Anemone nemorosa can make quite impressive "seas" of white

518909-0

but Hepatica nobilis never makes such big mats (or I have never seen it). The blue colour does not show up in the same way on pictures as white either.

518911-1

518913-2

Maybe you have other Anemones around there? Like A. deltoidea or oregana? Or the look alike Enemion?

« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 07:34:12 AM by Hoy »
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Hoy

« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2016, 07:37:13 AM »

I had a very productive outing today on the North Fork of the Consumnes River. There is much for me to process, however I hope to have the first part of a report up in 2-3 days. The granite base rock created an interesting habitat. Of the 60 -70 species scene today at least 1-2 were newly cataloged. This area is at the northern limit of many south Sierra Nevada Foothill species. As the blooming season progress I think that much more will turn up.

Robert,

I look forward to your report :)

The first picture looks very promising!

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2016, 01:16:31 PM »
Trond, you are a fund of interesting information :). I had to look up Enemion and see that this is very close to Isopyrum but accepted as a genus by the Kew Plant List. So now all anemone and anemone-look-a-likes have broadened their appeal even more! Certainly makes you think about Pulsatilla being included within Anemone by some botanists - taxonomy can be pretty subjective at times despite the best of intentions.

We have drifts of Anemone nemorosa like that locally but the Hepatica is marvellous, lights up the woodland with colour. I too would be interested to learn about the Californian species of anemone - A. nemorosa is so widely grown here but few other species and you might think they would adapt well to the woodland garden in the same way.
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Robert

« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2016, 04:07:20 PM »
Trond,

According to Jepson Manual there are 8 species of Anemone native to California. Most are found in Northwestern California (and elsewhere in Western North America). A. deltoidea and A. oregana are found only in Northwestern California. A. drummondii and A. occidentalis are found in the Sierra Nevada and are the only species I am likely to come across this season. A. tuberosa grows in Southwestern California, however I am not likely going to get that far south this year.

Isopyrum occidentale grows locally and is quite lovely. It is high on my seed gathering list for this season.

Oh yes, I forgot.... Isopryum occidentale is now Enemion occidentale according to Jepson.  :)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 04:11:14 PM by Robert »
Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Hoy

« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2016, 08:54:13 PM »
Trond, you are a fund of interesting information :). I had to look up Enemion and see that this is very close to Isopyrum but accepted as a genus by the Kew Plant List. So now all anemone and anemone-look-a-likes have broadened their appeal even more! Certainly makes you think about Pulsatilla being included within Anemone by some botanists - taxonomy can be pretty subjective at times despite the best of intentions.

We have drifts of Anemone nemorosa like that locally but the Hepatica is marvellous, lights up the woodland with colour. I too would be interested to learn about the Californian species of anemone - A. nemorosa is so widely grown here but few other species and you might think they would adapt well to the woodland garden in the same way.

Tim,

Tell my wife ;D

My source this time was Calflora  http://www.calflora.org/
I am looking for all the American Anemones and look-alikes, especially those similar to A. nemorosa. Seems they are rarely offered as seeds.

Hoy

« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2016, 08:56:59 PM »
Trond,

According to Jepson Manual there are 8 species of Anemone native to California. Most are found in Northwestern California (and elsewhere in Western North America). A. deltoidea and A. oregana are found only in Northwestern California. A. drummondii and A. occidentalis are found in the Sierra Nevada and are the only species I am likely to come across this season. A. tuberosa grows in Southwestern California, however I am not likely going to get that far south this year.

Isopyrum occidentale grows locally and is quite lovely. It is high on my seed gathering list for this season.

Oh yes, I forgot.... Isopryum occidentale is now Enemion occidentale according to Jepson.  :)

Thanks for the info, Robert.

Isopyrum/Enemion is a lovely genus, all of them!

Robert

« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2016, 03:17:31 AM »
North Fork of the Cosumnes River
Slick Rock
Part I

Wednesday, 17 February 2016

Weather: Cloudy
Temperature, High: 69 F (20.5 C), Low: 51 F (10.5 C)

After some delay, I can now get out again. This outing is my first start of a survey of the flora south of our farm in El Dorado County, California. The Cosumnes River system is the first river system as one travels south. Last year I already explored some of the upper tributaries of the Cosumnes River. This is my first detailed survey of the lower reaches of the River.

Slick Rock is a prominent landmark in this area. Here the Cosumnes River is constricted as it cuts through the granite base rock in this area. The walls of the canyon are near vertical on both sides of the river creating a spectacular scene. Years ago I explored the south side of the canyon. This is my first explorations of the north side of the canyon.

The trailhead starts at 1,940 feet (591 meters) and quickly heads down towards the river. Arctostaphylos viscida, Ceanothus integerrimus, and Hetromeles arbutifolia are the dominate shrub species along the upper reaches of the trail. This time of year the White-Leaf Manzanita, Arctostaphylos viscida are in full bloom and a beautiful sight.

Pinus ponderosa, Pinus sabiniana and 3 species of oak form an open forest canopy. By far, Arctostaphylos viscida is the dominate Manzanita species in this area. This day I saw only one specimen of another species, this being Arctostaphylos manzanita. A. viscida pictured.

The larger old trunks of many Manzanita species are very attractive. Arctostaphylos viscida is no exception!

After a short hike down the trail I arrived at the top of a cliff face with a view of the river below.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 04:59:40 PM by Robert »
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2016, 03:28:12 AM »
The Slick Rock looks very impressive - slick indeed  ;)
Beautiful manzanitas!
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Robert

« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2016, 03:43:38 AM »

On the exposed ridge above the river there was a variety of native perennials and annuals. I was pleased and somewhat surprised to find the annual Lupinus stiversii. Generally, I find this species at a much higher elevation.

Spider Lupine, Lupinus benthamii, was one of a number of annual Lupinus species observed this day.

The perennial Eriophyllum lanatum var. croceum grew abundantly. This variety is easily identified by the white, woolly underside of the foliage, as well as the woolly white young stems. The bright yellow daisies of this species brighten the countryside during the spring and early summer over a wide elevation range.

More shrubby was the Penstemon relative Keckellia breviflora.

Frequently seen in sunny rock crevices was the fern Pellaea mucronata. This species is 100% xeric and thrives in the full sun. I grow this species at the farm and find it easy to please, requiring very little care or summertime irrigation. The gray fronds are evergreen, held all year - yes, even in the summer - and always look perk and happy.

to be continued......
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 03:47:04 AM by Robert »
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Hoy

« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2016, 07:44:27 AM »
Slick Rock looks very familiar! Been polished by a glacier, I suppose :)

The manzanitas are as beautiful as ever!  I was intrigued by the annual lupins. Do they need a long hot summer to flower?

Doesn't the leaves of the Pellaea shrivel at all during a long dry season?

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2016, 09:31:59 AM »
Robert - the Pellaea really does look an exquisite fern. For a time we grew and propagated a few Cheilanthes and xerophytic ferns have fascinated me ever since (I remember once a trough devoted to them on the AGS display at the Chelsea Show - a great way of growing them. Must think about this for one of our troughs). Arctostaphylos viscida is certainly rather beautiful and we have a 30ft tree of Pinus ponderosa grown from seed needing underplanting ;). So nice to see these plants in their natural situations.
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Robert

« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2016, 03:00:31 PM »
Slick Rock looks very familiar! Been polished by a glacier, I suppose :)

The manzanitas are as beautiful as ever!  I was intrigued by the annual lupins. Do they need a long hot summer to flower?

Doesn't the leaves of the Pellaea shrivel at all during a long dry season?

Trond,

Our annual Lupinus species flower, and set seed before the long hot season. They are certainly "cool season" annuals. They most likely would thrive for you providing they can be protected from slugs   :P . Growing them in containers is an option and well worth the effort. Lupinus stiversii has beautiful and interestingly colored flowers. I have yet to try it in our garden but it is high on my list of things to try.

Pellaea mucronata is completely evergreen. In the wild under extreme conditions maybe a few fronds shrivel. Always some of the older fronds shrivel as is normal for all ferns. For a xeric garden this species is ideal as it does not need irrigation during the hot summer and it will grow in full hot sun as well as take some shade. I do irrigate my plants maybe once a month at the most. They do not seem to mind this at all. In a container with a fast draining soil mix they can be water all the time.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2016, 03:09:51 PM »
Tim,

Pellaea mucronata is not a large fern, however it may be a bit large for a trough  :-\  . Some of our native Cheilanthes species that I grow would be ideal for toughs. They are very sweet little ferns.  :) Also, some of our other native Pellaea species from the higher elevations could be ideal for troughs too. At least this is how I see it from where I am.   :)
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2016, 03:20:47 PM »
The Slick Rock looks very impressive - slick indeed  ;)
Beautiful manzanitas!

Gabriela,

I am glad that you like the presentation so far.  :)

I have to admit that I write everything extemporaneously. At times I am fatigued or get rushed and things are not as polished as I would like. There is so much information that I leave out. I do have several writing projects, but these have been slow going and are clearly something for the future.

Anyway, I am glad that you enjoy.  :)

There is more to come with this outing.....
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal