We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Iris, non-bearded 2016  (Read 19971 times)

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
Re: Iris, non-bearded 2016
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2016, 04:43:59 PM »
Iris unguicularis 'Peloponnese Snow'
I acquired a plant of this from Glenconwy at the Kent Show recently, looking forward to it flowering.

Always much later than I. unguicularis, here's Iris lazica today.
Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2016, 07:00:29 PM »
I acquired a plant of this from Glenconwy at the Kent Show recently, looking forward to it flowering.

Thinking you might mean Aberconwy Nursery from Glan Conway?
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2016, 08:53:20 PM »
Quite right - senior moment!
Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2016, 10:03:22 PM »
Quite right - senior moment!
;) I have so many myself, Ralph, that I'm getting good at spotting them!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Regelian

• waking escapes the dream
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2016, 07:04:34 PM »
The first seedlings are unfolding their maidens.  These two are purpotedly a cross with I. typhifolia as seed parent.  The pollen unknow, but one would suspect a siberica.  They are apparently from two different pods/plants, as they have different lot numbers (from SIGNA seedex).
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

Regelian

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2016, 05:11:54 PM »
A shot of the third seedling to bloom from the above cross, fully unfolded. After posting on the SIGNA forum, I found out these crosses, done by Niswonger, are part of a series he made exploring the typhifolia gene pool.  They are about two weeks or more than the earliest sibericas and considerably more delicate in foliage and plant habit.
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2016, 04:02:10 AM »
I hope therefore, that he or someone goes on with this line. I've seen few plants of I. typhifolia and just have a couple of tiny seedlings myself, but it looks to be an elegant and stately plant, well worth the growing and the garden room.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Regelian

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2016, 10:51:33 PM »
A stand of Iris siberica
Steve Varner- a very strong grower
Sutan's Ruby - one of the best violet-reds
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

Regelian

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2016, 07:05:40 PM »
A few more iris have opened despite the constant rain.  Blossoms could be better.
Lemon Veil sdl, which I rather like.
I. pseudacorus alba: popped up in the pond. Great branching and bud-count.  Looks like ink on parchment
laevigata sdl x reversicolor (versicolor x ((versicolor x ensata) x versicolor): has six falls, small blossom, but strikingly marked.
I. bulleyana ? This looks wrong, from wild collected seed.
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2016, 08:02:08 AM »
I like the white pseudocorus Jamie. A species which is not merely "not permitted" here but actually "prohibited."

The bulleyana is not right. Looks more like a sibirica seedling of some kind. Same section of course but the colour and shape are wrong for bulleyana.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Regelian

« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2016, 08:18:08 AM »
Lesley,
exactly my thoughts on the 'bulleyana'.  There are other seedlings in the bunch and I'm hoping this is a one-off mistake that found its way into the bag/pot.  With the somewhat rectagular fall, it may be a typhifolia hybrid that blooms late.

Truly a shame that pseudacorus untamable is.  Fortunately, the alba and another pale cultivar I have are less robust.  For us, of course, it is a native iris.  Doesn't change its nature, though.  An absolute thug in the small garden.
cheers,
j.
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

johnstephen29

• Hello from East Lincolnshire
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2016, 11:06:28 PM »
Hi regellan I have grown the variegated form of pseudacorus for a number of years and it is very well behaved, doesn't spread too fast, and has yellow flowers which look great with the foliage.
John, Toynton St Peter Lincolnshire

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2016, 11:47:58 PM »
I do too John and yes, a very attractive plant. When I say I. pseudacorus is prohibited, that doesn't mean we are not allowed to grow it, it means that we may not import seed or plants and we may not sell it or give it away even, and not distribute it in any way at all. The reasoning is that it is known to block farm and other waterways, storage ponds etc. Yes it does but as a general garden plant in regular soil rather than in water, it behaves quite well. As you say, the variegated form is less vigorous. The magnificent Japanese "eyeshadow" irises which are pseudacorus crossed with a particular ensata seedling, are entirely benign in that respect and sterile to boot so no problem with them at all but even so, we are not allowed to have them.

Regelian

« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2016, 07:57:13 AM »
John,  I have the variegated form, as well, and it is well behaved, not to mention quite striking in full bloom.  There is a dwarf form from France, but it is rather vigourous.  I grow all of these in water (my pond), which does give them more support than they need.  Along with the Louisianas, I need to divide the pond plants this season, which means draining the affair.  i started this a few weeks ago, but the constant rains filled it right back up again! about 60cm!

Lesley, you answered the question brooding in the back of my mind.  The eye-lash Pseudatas are also prohibited then.  I have not yet added any to the garden (rare as hen's teeth in Germany), but would like to import some, maybe Gubijin, the ensata cross fertile clone, as well.  They are such stately plants and, if not overly vigourous, will make good garden additions.  They bloom earlier than the spurias and offer a new colour group. Plus, the seem to handle a higher soil pH.
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

johnstephen29

• Hello from East Lincolnshire
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2016, 03:25:25 PM »
Hi Lesley why don't the authorities in nz just ban the ordinary pseudacorus which is causing the problem and let the other less vigorous be more readily available? I suppose they are taking no chances which I guess you can't blame them, but it is a pity.
 Hi regelian can I pick your brains please, I have had a Louisiana iris in my pond for two or three years, it has never flowered, how do you manage with it?
John, Toynton St Peter Lincolnshire

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal