We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Pleione 2016  (Read 56178 times)

Nova

• Formerly known as Khadija
Pleione 2016
« on: January 03, 2016, 09:03:30 AM »
Wishing everybody a prosperous 2016 I start this year by posting some pictures of an unregistered albiflora x praecox cross made by Anthura in Holland. One stands out by it's size and colour and I just had to give it a cultivarname, it's 'Glamazon'.
Orchids are like accessories, a woman can never have enough...

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
Re: Pleione 2016
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 09:13:25 AM »
.. One stands out by it's size and colour and I just had to give it a cultivarname, it's 'Glamazon'.
;D
Love the name, Khadija!
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Claire Cockcroft

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 04:01:06 AM »
I checked my pleione pots this afternoon -- they are in a raised bed and are under plastic sheeting to keep the rain off.  Instead of 40 or so pseudobulbs in 7 pots and a trough, I found -- maybe -- 4 small pseudobulbs.  The rest had been eaten by rats!   :'(

My rat catching ability has proved poor and now I'm paying the price.  It will be several years before the trough of 'Tongariro' is full again.  My pots are now covered with fine mesh wire.  I guess that's akin to closing the barn door after the horses have gotten out.

...Claire
Claire Cockcroft
Bellevue, Washington, USA  Zone 7-8

SteveC2

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 06:43:51 PM »
I was worried that I was going to have the same problem here.  As always I have been feeding the birds in the garden but they seem to have the attitude, "Eat one, chuck two" and the ground was getting covered with seed.  We have had enough rain to fill the local dykes and I guess the rats have been flooded out and for the first time in twenty years plus, the little darlings were running around the garden in broad daylight.  Next stop was to dig their way into the greenhouse, but thankfully I caught one munching on a Barcena bulb and I have a surplus of those.  A little hole filling, water levels dropping, no more bird feeders, no rats seen for a week, hopefully problem sorted.

Slug Killer

• Koolplants
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2016, 08:17:32 PM »
I've had rats in the greenhouse but apart from knocking over pots, they have never touched my bulbs.

SteveC2

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2016, 08:30:59 PM »
Lucky you ;D ;D
Last year it was woodmice.  Actually saw one carry my only small confusa bulb away like a mimi squirrel.  Guess that's the disadvantage of having umpteen miles of farmland over the fence.  As soon as it goes cold and the fields are ploughed the mice come in.  The mess they made of my fishing nets defies belief and I've lost count of the number of times I have been disturbed whilst driving as one leaps out of my kit.  Good job I am not bothered by the critters.  Just so long as they don't eat the electrics.

Slug Killer

• Koolplants
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2016, 12:05:45 PM »
I put poison down in the end but made sure the greenhouse door was closed in case other animals got in. Seems to have done the trick for now.

Think there are so many other berries in the garden they don't bother with the Pleione.

hud357

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2016, 07:39:00 PM »
As a relative beginner (one season) I took Mr C2's (2015) advice and aimed at obtaining flowering sized bulbs for this year.

It is now early (UK) January and all the 'bulbs' are still in the fridge in a paper bag. Do I need to check them every couple of days or every couple of weeks?

One of them is slug killers profile photo, forrestii 'Vietnam'* - Is this one as early as suggested?

I have quite a lot of 'bulbs' (some tulip sized), by accident and design, to go at this year so where should I start? ... I have a variety of 'situations' in which to place them right now or should I wait for a month or two?

* can't remember where I got it  ;).

** Don't forget that some 'total noob' like me may be reading this thread looking for good advice sometime in 2030  :o **
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 07:44:14 PM by hud357 »

Maren

• Maren & Pln Tongariro
    • Heritage Orchids
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2016, 01:38:14 PM »
Hi,
you could start by reading the cultural advice on my website. ;)
Maren in Marlow, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom - Zone 8

http://www.heritageorchids.co.uk/

gregork

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2016, 06:05:38 PM »
Hello everyone!

I am curious did you already receive Ian's bulbs for this season? I remember last year i got the package early in january. But this year still nothing. I am worried the package is stuck somewhere  ???

Thanks in advance,

Regards,
Gregor
Ljubljana, Slovenia - Zone 7

Maren

• Maren & Pln Tongariro
    • Heritage Orchids
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2016, 07:51:24 PM »
Hi Gregor,
don't worry about receiving Ian's package. He will not ship when the weather is very cold.  And that's a good thing.
Maren in Marlow, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom - Zone 8

http://www.heritageorchids.co.uk/

gregork

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2016, 07:59:06 PM »
Hello Maren.

Yes i was thinking this could be the reason. Have to wait for better temperatures then :)
Thank you for info ;)

Regards,
G

SteveC2

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2016, 09:34:37 PM »
Received mine last week so no doubt he is working through the list and has paused as it is a bit cold here.  Only a bit ;D

gregork

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2016, 04:50:11 PM »
I guess i had to ask on the forum.... i received the package today :D
Yes, it was cold and still is here in Slovenia.

Regards
G

erf

• PleioneWorld
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2016, 06:50:42 AM »
Hello everyone!

I am curious did you already receive Ian's bulbs for this season? I remember last year i got the package early in january. But this year still nothing. I am worried the package is stuck somewhere  ???

Thanks in advance,

Regards,
Gregor

I got my bulbs this week. Postman left them on my doorstep. Came home just as temperature dropped below 0 C. Fortunately I saw the package and brought it inside.
Regards Erling
cbc35863586
For Pleione pictures, have a look at https://www.facebook.com/PleioneWorld
or find me at www.pleioneworld.dk

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal