We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Primula 2016  (Read 41371 times)

Claire Cockcroft

Re: Primula 2016
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2016, 07:38:52 PM »
Fantastic photo, Steve.  The colors glow.
...Claire
Claire Cockcroft
Bellevue, Washington, USA  Zone 7-8

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2016, 09:30:58 PM »
Primula "Tantallon"

Very tantalizing Steve  :)
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

SJW

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2016, 03:45:38 PM »
Hi Steve
         Primula joan hughes is actually a hybrid and not pure allionii. Nevertheless your plant is a fine example and judging by the picture is not full of virus as many are, only producing small distorted streaked flowers. I guess you may have got it from Brian who's stock has always been virus free. Look after it . Great plant.

Hi Pat - thanks for the additional info, I thought it was a hybrid, just sloppy with my naming! It was actually a kind gift from Geoff Rollinson a couple of years ago but I suspect you're right, plant material may originally have come from Brian. I know Geoff has grown on and subsequently shown a number of Brian's primula hybrids.

See you at the Cyclamen Show on Saturday? This weird weather has been playing havoc with flowering times. At this rate everything will be over before the end of the month!
Steve Walters, West Yorkshire

cycnich

• Mister 1000
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2016, 04:25:21 PM »
Hi Steve
      Yes I will be at the cyclamen show but not exhibiting. As the main interest at this show is coum and alpinum which I call the ugly sisters and have little interest in growing I will just bring some stuff to sell.
Pat Nicholls, Cyclamen and associated bulbs.

Shoreham by sea West Sussex, UK

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2016, 04:34:05 PM »

See you at the Cyclamen Show on Saturday   SUNDAY ? This weird weather has been playing havoc with flowering times. At this rate everything will be over before the end of the month!

I know that sometimes the Cyclamen Society events are members only, but  I do not understand why  more effort is not being made to advertise them and drum up members   :-\
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 06:54:48 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Graeme

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2016, 06:49:58 PM »
I know that sometimes the Cyclamen Society events are members only, but  I do not understand why  more effort is not being made to advertise them and drum up members   :-\
don't you mean a RHS event which CS members can attend....
"Never believe anything you read on the Internet" Oscar Wilde

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2016, 06:54:07 PM »
Yes, Graeme  - it's so confusing because of need to be  RHS  members to gain access.... it is open to anyone who is an RHS member OR who has paid entrance to Wisley. The show is on Sunday 7th February.

Graeme

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2016, 06:59:48 PM »
Yes, Graeme  - it's so confusing because of need to be  RHS  members to gain access.... it is open to anyone who is an RHS member OR who has paid entrance to Wisley. The show is on Sunday 7th February.
hmm let me think £47 to RHS or £47 extra to spend at Loughborough - only thing I would like to buy is a Coun Porcelain from Green Ice - add travel to Wisley and it makes it nearly as expensive as some of the snowdrops I have seen............

cycnich

• Mister 1000
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2016, 07:18:16 PM »
hmm let me think £47 to RHS or £47 extra to spend at Loughborough - only thing I would like to buy is a Coun Porcelain from Green Ice - add travel to Wisley and it makes it nearly as expensive as some of the snowdrops I have seen............

Hi Graeme
        I have a spare porcelain you can have for nought. Let me have your address and I will post it to you when it goes dormant no problem.
Pat Nicholls, Cyclamen and associated bulbs.

Shoreham by sea West Sussex, UK

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2016, 07:59:24 PM »

To be fair (!!!)  entry to Wisley for one day  for non -members is   £13 - which is more than I could or would pay.
 When I was a full-time Carer for my  Father that was more than one third of  the Carers' Allowance for a whole week!    Times have changed, of course, now I think it's just about  one quarter!  :-\ :'(

(Edit: Carer's Allowance now is £62.10 per week  - for a minimum of 35 hours care - but in many cases for 168 hours  care per week.)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 06:18:17 PM by Maggi Young »

ruweiss

« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2016, 09:11:26 PM »
Primula allionii plants start to flower:

Pr. all. Elke Weiss
    Pr. all. Sandra
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 11:05:23 PM by Maggi Young »
Rudi Weiss,Waiblingen,southern Germany,
climate zone 8a,elevation 250 m

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2016, 09:31:59 AM »
Primula megaseifolia, flowering since the end of December
but now at its best

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Roma

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2016, 02:35:41 PM »
Well flowered plant, Gerd.

Nothing exciting flowering here but I picked up a few attractive primroses in Dobbies earlier this week. 
Most of those for sale had oversized flowers in garish colours but one bench had plants with smaller flowers and paler colours.  I picked four which caught my eye.
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Graeme

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2016, 07:33:54 PM »
    Pr. all. Sandra
very nice ruweiss

Nothing exciting flowering here but I picked up a few attractive primroses in Dobbies earlier this week. 
Most of those for sale had oversized flowers in garish colours but one bench had plants with smaller flowers and paler colours.  I picked four which caught my eye.
Roma the third one down is my favorite - just love those blues - saw a very strange red/yellow the other day - the red was in a thick band round the edge of the petal - left my phone in the car.......

ruweiss

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2016, 06:48:15 PM »
Thank you Graeme.
Rudi Weiss,Waiblingen,southern Germany,
climate zone 8a,elevation 250 m

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal