We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Rain-lilies: Cooperia, Habranthus, Zephyranthes, etc.2015  (Read 6249 times)

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
Re: Rain-lilies: Cooperia, Habranthus, Zephyranthes, etc.2015
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2015, 07:47:33 PM »
Fermi,

Great to see the "Rain Lilies".

I have a large selection coming on thanks to a generous forumist. I am hoping for flowering this coming season.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2015, 10:58:53 PM »
Hi Robert,
these "rain-lilies" do live up to their name but it seems to me that they have fairly defined times for flowering. The habranthus tend to flower after a rain but only if it follows a period of hot summer weather. Zephyranthes candida and its hybrids tend to flower when it starts to get cooler but before it gets cold.
The Habranthus robustus seedling from 'Russell Manning' finally opened yesterday and was still looking good this morning. As seen earlier they also were in bloom in November,
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2015, 07:15:19 PM »
Hi Robert,
these "rain-lilies" do live up to their name but it seems to me that they have fairly defined times for flowering. The habranthus tend to flower after a rain but only if it follows a period of hot summer weather. Zephyranthes candida and its hybrids tend to flower when it starts to get cooler but before it gets cold.
The Habranthus robustus seedling from 'Russell Manning' finally opened yesterday and was still looking good this morning. As seen earlier they also were in bloom in November,
cheers
fermi

Fermi,

Thank you for the information. I grew Habranthus robustus in the garden for many years. They too would bloom after a period of hot summer weather. They would often surprise me, as the flowers seemed to come from nowhere. The rodents seemed to move them around but never ate them. This movement added to the element of surprise. Now they seem to have disappeared from the garden. Fortunately I have a new crop of seedlings coming on.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal