We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: December 2015 in the Northern Hemisphere  (Read 4997 times)

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
Re: December 2015 in the Northern Hemisphere
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2015, 03:00:00 PM »
Gabriela,and this grid protects against squirrels and birds?

Natalia - it is a plastic mesh that can be cut to size and is only for the squirrels, temporarely. Usually the ground would be frozen by now or covered in snow but it's unusual warm this year.
They wouldn't eat the buds but dig holes all day long (to look for or hide nuts) and so the roots can remain exposed to cold and drought if you don't cover them back.

I see you also don't have snow yet  :) Interesting to see you grow the Canada rosebay - please do show the flowers next year, I haven't found it in the wild here.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2015, 05:45:57 PM »
Is it really mid December? Daphne bholua 'Jacqueline Postill' is flowering, as is Rosmarinus x lavandulaceus. The seedheads of Iris foetidissima provide welcome colour.
Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2015, 07:04:21 PM »
My 'Jacqueline Postill' is in flower too Ralph.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

meanie

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2015, 12:37:25 PM »
Gabriela - you have my sympathy as far as the tree rats go! Absolute vermin  >:(

First bloom of the season on Canarina canariensis...................

They are much larger than the spring blooms were (which was the first time that it had bloomed) and I'm rather pleased as it was a little underwhelming in the spring.

Salvia confertiflora has finally (of sorts) come into flower................

It is about four months later than last year which sums up the summer of 2015 rather well!
West Oxon where it gets cold!

fleurbleue

• les Jardins des Grims
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2015, 04:07:24 PM »
Amazing Canarina !
Nicole, Sud Est France,  altitude 110 m    Zone 8

meanie

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2015, 04:58:07 PM »
Amazing Canarina !
What is amazing is that it is outdoors still!

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2015, 01:25:57 AM »
meanie,

I am hoping to get a batch of Canarina through the winter. They are fairly good sized. I will very pleased to get some flowers this coming spring.

Yours looks great!
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2015, 01:48:34 PM »
Gabriela - you have my sympathy as far as the tree rats go! Absolute vermin  >:(

You're right, that's the good name for them, tree rats. It is just absolutely by chance that one can grow bulbous species here (not
having a greenhouse or something similar). And add the chipmunks too...
But enough complaining, I particularly like your Salvia confertiflora, different than many other Salvias I know.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

meanie

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2015, 01:20:16 PM »
You're right, that's the good name for them, tree rats. It is just absolutely by chance that one can grow bulbous species here (not
having a greenhouse or something similar). And add the chipmunks too...
At least we are spared chipmunks!

But enough complaining, I particularly like your Salvia confertiflora, different than many other Salvias I know.
Huge genus so I think that there is something for everyone.
I never expected S.leucantha to look this good in mid December...............

meanie

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2015, 06:43:44 PM »
meanie,

I am hoping to get a batch of Canarina through the winter. They are fairly good sized. I will very pleased to get some flowers this coming spring.

Yours looks great!
Yours are growing in the ground?

Robert

« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2015, 07:10:19 PM »
Yours are growing in the ground?

Right now I have them all growing in pots. Too many things can go wrong in the ground around here. Rodents are a big one!  :P Then, it can get somewhat cold during the winter and I was uncertain as to their cold hardiness. It has been down to -5.5 C so far this season, with many other nights below freezing. Maybe they can take these temperatures? As of today I have them protected with row cover. It is so easy for me. It is no different than farming vegetable crops! I have plenty of hoops, row cover and greenhouse plastic to cover plant with if I desire. Right now I am just using row cover and they seem very happy.
Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

meanie

« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2015, 08:35:20 PM »
Robert - not sure as to their absolute hardiness but I can say that in growth they'll take close to freezing ok. I haven't enough mature tubers to push things yet but maybe next year.

Robert

« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2015, 01:42:45 AM »
Robert - not sure as to their absolute hardiness but I can say that in growth they'll take close to freezing ok. I haven't enough mature tubers to push things yet but maybe next year.

meanie,

I have a half dozen plants. I am hoping to get some seed production. If all goes well, the next generation I will try in the garden.

Thank you for the information. Keep us posted as to your results if you try to overwinter any in the garden.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

meanie

« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2015, 05:12:48 PM »
The garden is usually a no go zone at this time of year but thanks to the mild autumn/winter so far but Brugmansia sanguinea has opened its first bloom today.............

Apart from the sharp frosts we had a few weeks ago (when I moved it to the protection of the house wall) it has been out in the open since late February.

Robert

« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2015, 06:14:31 PM »
The garden is usually a no go zone at this time of year but thanks to the mild autumn/winter so far but Brugmansia sanguinea has opened its first bloom today.............

Apart from the sharp frosts we had a few weeks ago (when I moved it to the protection of the house wall) it has been out in the open since late February.

meanie,

In the city of Sacramento the Brugmansias grow fairly well without much protection from frost, not that the city has much in the way of frost (it does freeze every year). The plants in the ground can get quite large and the flowers are spectacular. Occasional there are hard and prolonged periods of frost. Even with large trunks the plant die to the ground, but re-sprout from the base of the trunk.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal