We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Helleborus 2015  (Read 23757 times)

Yann

• Journal Access Group
  • Growing and collecting plants since i was young
Re: Helleborus 2015
« Reply #165 on: December 21, 2015, 07:20:05 PM »
Ralph you're lucky, the few ones that flowered are eaten by slugs, grrrrrrrr :'(
North of France

Jeffnz

« Reply #166 on: December 21, 2015, 08:41:10 PM »
Leena
Not sure why your ETH plants are more sensitive to frost/cold damage. I have grown many of the and also seedlings from my own crosses of plants grown from ETH seed and see no difference in disease resistance of plants from ETH and other hybridus. Leaves do not appear to be any different from other double hybridus.

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #167 on: December 23, 2015, 05:13:27 PM »
Never had a display of hellebores like this before at Christmas time.
Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #168 on: December 24, 2015, 12:40:31 PM »
Very nice Helleborus flowering this early. :) Here some hybridus shows already buds, I'm a little afraid what happens if they have time to develop more before very cold weather starts, but perhaps there is also snow then. Also Helleborus seeds have started to germinate. :)

Leena
Not sure why your ETH plants are more sensitive to frost/cold damage. I have grown many of the and also seedlings from my own crosses of plants grown from ETH seed and see no difference in disease resistance of plants from ETH and other hybridus. Leaves do not appear to be any different from other double hybridus.

Here is one picture taken in October after a week's cold spell, minimun  - 7C, which is not much in the winter, but perhaps it was too much all of a sudden in the autumn. Brown leaves are from frost damage.
Leena from south of Finland

Vincent

• Mountains, Alpines, Bulbs
« Reply #169 on: December 25, 2015, 06:12:35 PM »
Here are some helleborus from my garden. My mom planted all these, I used to not like them at all, but lately I'm starting to see the beauty of some of the single ones - still not liking the doubles  :) Helleborus niger is very beautiful and also growing quite well in our garden, but the slugs just love to eat little holes in every flower. Well at least they are not eating the flower stem, like in many other cases.
The first one is called H. x orientalis 'Roter Januar JP' from Jürgen Peters. I love the color!
No name for the second one, can anyone tell me? Since the flowers are quite small I thought maybe its a species?
Third one is also nameless, orientalis hybrid probably.
And this is how H. niger is looking - there are many flowers but I did not cut the leaves.
Vincent - South-West Germany

Vincent

• Mountains, Alpines, Bulbs
« Reply #170 on: December 25, 2015, 06:21:22 PM »
First three pictures of two hybrids but I don't know their names. The last one shows some niger flowers - most of these are not even chewed on, proving my own words wrong  :)
Vincent - South-West Germany

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
« Reply #171 on: December 29, 2015, 08:17:44 AM »
Helleborus liguricus with it's wonderful lemony smell and a Helleborus niger flower which hasn't been eaten by slugs.
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
« Reply #172 on: December 29, 2015, 08:18:53 AM »
And a selection of 4 Helleborus x hybridus.
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal