We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: December 2015 in the Northern Hemisphere  (Read 5098 times)

brianw

December 2015 in the Northern Hemisphere
« on: December 03, 2015, 09:33:09 PM »
Opening today narcissus Spring Dawn. Early even for this variety. Does not usually open for me until January. I notice that the growth of the new bulbs I bought this year are well ahead of last years bulbs left in a neglected pot. Both are in pots so not conclusive but could this be due to the treatment of the new bulbs before I got them?
Edge of Chiltern hills, 25 miles west of London, England

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
Re: December 2015 in the Northern Hemisphere
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2015, 08:48:32 AM »
Absolutely. I find that new acquisitions are always the first to bloom for me, with bulbs in my existing collection being much later to grow/bloom, even for the same species, forms etc. Most suppliers will be in warmer climates than I am, so when they arrive here I believe that the sudden change in temperature (and maybe other factors) starts them into growth sooner. My existing bulbs have to suffer a mild (never hot - ave summer temp 16oC) and usually grey/wet summer with a gradual slide into autumn/winter (with pretty similar weather conditions, ave winter min 3oC = only a 13oC seasonal range!), so it takes them longer to notice that the temperatures have dropped (they must have a requirement for a certain number of 'degree days'), which triggers them into growth.
Matt Topsfield
Isle of Benbecula, Western Isles where it is mild, windy and wet! Zone 9b

"There is no mistake too dumb for us to make"

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2015, 10:45:13 AM »
Absolutely. I find that new acquisitions are always the first to bloom for me, with bulbs in my existing collection being much later to grow/bloom, even for the same species, forms etc. Most suppliers will be in warmer climates than I am, so when they arrive here I believe that the sudden change in temperature (and maybe other factors) starts them into growth sooner. My existing bulbs have to suffer a mild (never hot - ave summer temp 16oC) and usually grey/wet summer with a gradual slide into autumn/winter (with pretty similar weather conditions, ave winter min 3oC = only a 13oC seasonal range!), so it takes them longer to notice that the temperatures have dropped (they must have a requirement for a certain number of 'degree days'), which triggers them into growth.

Matt this is exactly my experience and understanding - all our bulbs are flowering later this year because of the lack of summer heat so no sudden temperature gradient to trigger them.
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2015, 07:34:15 PM »
Planted earlier this year, Asphodelus acaulis is coming into flower.
Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2015, 10:03:34 AM »
I've been meaning to show my newest woodland bed where I have planted last summer all the new snowdrops I got or bought  :). There is still room for new plants and bulbs to plant next year, so it is far from ready though I started to make this already year ago last autumn. The soil here is sandy and I have added leaf mold and composted horse manure in it, and this is a good place that there is no water logging (as might be else where in my garden). Deciduous trees give shade in the summer, but it gets lot of sunshine in the spring, and also snow melts there early (or in fact the trees shelter it so that it doesn't get so much snow as the open garden) so I think it would be a good place for snowdrops. :) The fence in the back is to discourage deer not to come here but go on their path behind the fence (but of course they can jump the fence easily if they want, I rely on them being too lazy to jump and there is lots to eat for them also in other places).
I'm planning this to be especially a spring bed, so I've planted Hellebores  (some still young), Galanthus, Crocus, Primula x polyanthus, Corydalis and also young Erythronium seedlings, which I hope will grow and some day will flower. There are also some of Rhododendrons grown from seed (which are young and have not yet flowered). I planted also Corydalis 'Craigton Blue', which I got last spring,  here. Other plants include ferns, which I'm fond of.
These pictures were taken last week, it is raining now, and I'm happy that there is no snow yet.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 10:06:29 AM by Leena »
Leena from south of Finland

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2015, 11:37:57 AM »
Hi Leena, your garden looks very nice even in winter :)

Looking forward to see your spring bloom!

Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2015, 03:37:35 PM »
PS I am keeping the sofa warm, it is not much to do outside - the rain is pouring down and many roads are closed.

The waterfalls, that attract a lot of (especially foreign) tourists in summer are now dangerous to pass.

http://www.nrk.no/rogaland/sauda-er-nesten-isolert-1.12689035

Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2015, 08:05:05 AM »
Thank Hoy, I'm also looking forward to spring. I'm sure I will take lot of pictures then. :)
It's been a stormy night here, in the news they showed how bad it was in Norway yesterday with mud slides.
Leena from south of Finland

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2015, 03:02:31 PM »
Leena,

I agree with Trond, I think that your garden is quite beautiful as it goes into its winter dormancy. I enjoyed the photographs. A garden covered with new, or even old snow can be very beautiful too.

After 4 years of drought and far above temperatures we are finally having something like late fall / winter here in Northern California - Average temperatures (that seem cool compared to the past 4 winters), overcast skies, much snow in the Sierra Nevada, and at least near average rainfall - snowfall (although it looks like much heavy rain is in the forecast now).

The garden here is quite dormant. Not a flower to be seen anywhere. The only plants with some sort of growth are many of our California native bulbs and annuals, but now they too have slowed to a crawl. Some species from similar climates have grown a bit too. If this continues there will not be much until late January.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Steve Garvie

• Rainbirder's photostream
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2015, 07:20:35 PM »
The Sun shone briefly today and being so low in the sky at this time of year the light was more horizontal than vertical.
Colchicum doerfleri

Sternbergia lutea
WILDLIFE PHOTOSTREAM: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rainbirder/

Steve
West Fife, Scotland.

Menai

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2015, 11:29:38 PM »
Somebody is a little out of step here! Not even in an alpine house but just sitting on the garden wall. I hope it isn't a swan-song. Lewisia cotyledon from Ashwood seed.

Erle in soggy Anglesey
Erle - seed sower & re-inventor of wheels
Anglesey, North Wales
Temp max 26°C min -6°C rainfall 120cm

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2015, 05:19:42 PM »
Things have got to a point that I wish for the cold & snow to come ??? Unusual mild weather and many species are still in active growth - Primula elatior ssp. meyeri, I really want to see it flower next spring (from wild collected seed/Abkhasia)

Obese squirrels are running crazy so many things needed extra protection - attractive farinose buds of P. frondosa:

Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2015, 05:51:57 PM »
Gabriela, I'm not  unsympathetic, honestly, but your words brought a funny image to mind .....

;D
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Natalia

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2015, 10:37:33 AM »
 Gabriela,and this grid protects against squirrels and birds?

A few photos from my garden. December 11th.

Сrocus banaticus

Daphne kamtschatica

Rhododendron canadense

Natalia
Russia, Moscow region, zone 3
temperature:min -48C(1979);max +43(2010)

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2015, 02:51:11 PM »
Gabriela, I'm not  unsympathetic, honestly, but your words brought a funny image to mind .....
  ;D

You're such a teaser Maggi! I admit she is very cute; ours here, the so called gray squirrels, are bigger size and mostly black with a bit pointed ears - a true a devilish look!
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal