We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: "Pot luck"Paeony  (Read 856 times)

robg

"Pot luck"Paeony
« on: November 19, 2015, 09:41:48 AM »
A couple of years I got this plant via the RBGE, and it has remained so labelled.  It caught my eye yesterday as there was, through the rain and wind(!), a quick flash of pink.  On closer looking this is seeds I am seeing - I am assuming it must have flowered through the summer when I was away at some point.

Having been involved with the Seed Exchange for a number of years I am well aware of the large size of paeonia seeds, but having said that there must be small ones too, and these fall into that category in that they are barely 3mm in diameter. 

So I don't know what the flower is like but I do have some small reddish pink seeds - does that help at all with identification ?

Rob

Rob Graham, Edinburgh

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: "Pot luck"Paeony
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 10:21:39 AM »
I know than Paeonia broteroi and P. mlokosewitschii both have red/pink seeds and others may have to
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

DaveM

• Doctor Rock
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 01:33:46 PM »
Yes, some Peonies produce these. My plant of Molly the Witch does just this. However, the red or pink "seeds" are not viable and will not germinate. You need to collect the black or brown spherical objects.
Dave Millward, East Lothian, Scotland

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 03:04:55 PM »
Ah, that answers one problem ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2015, 04:51:41 PM »
So I don't know what the flower is like but I do have some small reddish pink seeds - does that help at all with identification ?

As said, these are seeds that weren't fertilized.  Most of my peonies produce infertile seeds among the fertile ones (which are large, black and shiny), so your observation is not actually helpful towards an ID.   However, showing photos of the plant would be very helpful!  The seed pods (re. # of carpels), leaves and plant overall, plus some description of its characteristics (herbaceous or woody?) would probably suggest an ID (not necessarily to me but to those here who are knowledgeable about peonies).
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

robg

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2015, 08:09:08 PM »
Many thanks David and others - there was a temptation to plant the seeds anyway until I read the following post emphasising this being a characteristic of paeonies !

If I'd seen the flower in the summer I'd have recorded it then.  Until next summer, it will remain as 'Pot Luck Paeony'!

Rob
Rob Graham, Edinburgh

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal