We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Jonquils in November  (Read 1222 times)

WNOETULIP

Jonquils in November
« on: November 18, 2015, 08:24:51 AM »
I have been growing species and other Narcissus in greenhouses for over 25 years but have never witnessed such an early season as would appear to be occurring this year.
Attached are two photographs of Narcissus assoanus subsp. praelongus a potfull of which is in flower. I have never previously had flowers before the end of February. Another species which has quite well developed flower spikes which look as though they will flower well before Christmas is Narcissus rupicola subsp. marvieri.
Conversely N. romieuxii and N. cantabricus where I would expect to see flower spikes do not currently show them.
I have adopted my standard procedure this year; keeping the pots plunged in the greenhouse until repotting in September; watering on October 1 with a second watering on November 1.
If anyone has any spare pollen from N. serotinus etc I would be grateful for it in my continuing search to breed miniature daffodils with colour in the corona.

Tingdene

Re: Jonquils in November
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 10:08:40 AM »
I agree it is a strange season, n. viridiflorus has already flowered and gone over, several pots of n. romieuxii in various  forms which usually flower in the new year have well developed buds, n. cantabricus seems to be at a normal stage of development with n. cantabricus kesticus the African form showing colour in the buds, and their are several buds just appearing at soil level on n.dubius.

I use a different approach to the plunge bed, at the beginning of September I stand all the pots outside where they get cooler nights (hopefully) and they naturally receive any rainfall to moisten the pots gradually, which I then take into the greenhouse, using this method allows time to clean and prepare the greenhouse for winter, as it has been such a mild autumn no frost yet at all, The pots are still standing outside in many case with foliage 6" tall, the greenhouse benches are ready but I will delay as long as possible.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 11:10:06 AM »
More and  more I find the attempt to make sense of the timing of flowering in every season makes my brain hurt  ::)
 I've decided  just to be grateful if I see a flower, any flower :D         It must be a nightmare for those  timing exhibition blooms.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 06:50:09 PM »
Amazing to have N.assoanus in flower already! And N. rupicola and its clan are often the last to show even leaves!
Great opportunity to get some autumn flowering pollen on these (usually) spring flowers ;)
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal