We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Discussion Weekend 2016  (Read 20097 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Discussion Weekend 2016
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2016, 02:22:08 PM »
Looking forward to hearing all about the weekend.
Apart from one I missed when nursing my Mother I think this is the first time Ian and I have missed an SRGC DWE in many, many moons - decades!!
We missed seeing so many friends and were especially disappointed not to be able to meet up again with Anne Spiegel - and meet Joe! Ages since I've seen Jenny Wainwright-Klein too - that's another talk I would have loved to have seen.  Mind you, the programme was a cracker so it was a shame to miss any of it!

One question that puzzles both Ian and myself - was there not a "standard" Forrest Medal awarded?  Only word of that lovely Professional Forrest so far - and it is , of course, perfectly possible for a show to have awards of both types...... ?????
« Last Edit: February 24, 2023, 10:05:17 AM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2016, 03:12:10 PM »
Hi Maggi,
None of the plants on the bench at this show were judged to merit a Forrest Medal. Unusual but there we have it. Also a few classes with no firsts awarded. A lot of growers have been talking of an early year from some plants and others that were not quite at their best. Nonetheless, there were lots of superb plants on display (and Alan Furness was lucky to get his much-coveted  Celmisia spedenii out of the building safely and in one piece!)
You were both very much missed, but it was great to meet up with the regular as well as some Forum friends but I fear I missed some. A great weekend. John Massey was a hoot!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 03:15:04 PM by Matt T »
Matt Topsfield
Isle of Benbecula, Western Isles where it is mild, windy and wet! Zone 9b

"There is no mistake too dumb for us to make"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2016, 03:44:12 PM »
Thanks for that update, Matt.

John Massey is a grade A, genuine STAR  in so many ways -  simply the best!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2016, 04:01:23 PM »
Over 140 delegates, lecturers and organisers enjoyed a wonderful conference full of humour, erudition, conviviality and beer (the wine is ALWAYS expensive at these events) … truly a class event.

Thanks for that update, Matt.

John Massey is a grade A, genuine STAR  in so many ways -  simply the best!

Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

DaveM

• Doctor Rock
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2016, 05:36:31 PM »
As Matt has said, no Forrest was awarded - sadly. The judges deliberated long and hard over this and did not reach their decision lightly. There were 162 plants on the bench (144 in Open section and 18 in Section II), from 18 exhibitors. However, there were no large Cyclamen and though the many smaller pots of gentian were superbly presented, the large pans of gentian didn't quite reach the standard the judges were looking for, and they - Jim Jermyn, Julia Corden and Cyril Lafong - know full well what is required.
The large pan of 'The Caley' awarded the Professional Medal was displayed on MacPlants' stall. This was later given an AM and Cultural Commendation at the Joint Rock meeting.
Stan dP had an incredible 57 plants on the bench - no wonder he was able to snaffle most of the trophies. Well done Stan.

Matt Topsfield won the Reivers Trophy for a photo of a Scottish plant (lovely photo of Saxifraga oppositifolia). How about posting a copy Matt? Matt also picked up 3rd prize in the Holiday Photo competition with  pix of his visit to SE Spain in the spring.
Second prize in the Holiday comp went to Liam and Joan McCaughey for their trip to the Dolomites. First prize went to David  Livermore, of Barley, near Royston with 12 photos of David and Liz's trip to Lake Van, Turkey. This was very competetive and there can't have been much in it. This was David and Liz's first DWE - they only joined the Club in February - and to cap David's success they won a Bronze Medal, for the most points in Section II. We wish them every success in the future and look forward to welcoming them in Peebles next year.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 05:54:46 PM by DaveM »
Dave Millward, East Lothian, Scotland

DaveM

• Doctor Rock
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2016, 05:47:52 PM »
Thank you Cliff and Matt for your kind comments. We are pleased that you found the weekend so enjoyable. My colleagues John Mitchell, Elspeth MacKintosh, Mike Hicks, Struan Harley and I were heartily glad that things went so well. Some things to sort, post event during the next couple of weeks, then we'll start planning for next year ........  From our perspective, one of the really good points of the weekend was the manner in which delegates participated - there was a really good buzz about the whole event. We are hoping this can be repeated next year and look forward to welcoming everyone back to Peebles for part 2! One of the speakers will, of course, be Harry Jans, who couldn't make it this year.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 05:50:09 PM by DaveM »
Dave Millward, East Lothian, Scotland

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2016, 06:04:53 PM »
Matt Topsfield won the Reivers Trophy for a photo of a Scottish plant (lovely photo of Saxifraga oppositifolia). How about posting a copy Matt?

Thanks Dave.
Saxifraga oppositifolia photographed on 11 April 2016 at The Storr, Isle of Skye. Don't believe everything you read about this plant: growing in full sunshine, on a basalt rock face facing SE-S. However, there must be plenty water in the crevice it is growing in and this site is often in cloud/mist.
Matt Topsfield

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2016, 06:14:24 PM »
Thank you Cliff and Matt for your kind comments. We are pleased that you found the weekend so enjoyable. My colleagues John Mitchell, Elspeth MacKintosh, Mike Hicks, Struan Harley and I were heartily glad that things went so well. Some things to sort, post event during the next couple of weeks, then we'll start planning for next year ........  From our perspective, one of the really good points of the weekend was the manner in which delegates participated - there was a really good buzz about the whole event. We are hoping this can be repeated next year and look forward to welcoming everyone back to Peebles for part 2! One of the speakers will, of course, be Harry Jans, who couldn't make it this year.

The highpoint of these weekends is always meeting and making friends, but mention should be made of the standard of speakers, which was exceptionally high and the accommodation was very comfortable (indeed, we were spoilt with a pool and gym etc.) I've no doubt many folk were beavering away in the background to make it a success, but delegates only saw a smooth, well-coordinated event. Congratulations to the whole team on a successful weekend. I hope you will all be taking a well-earned short rest before starting work on planning for 2017!
Matt Topsfield

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2016, 06:32:24 PM »
A belated round of the benches.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 06:33:55 PM by Stan da Prato »

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2016, 06:35:12 PM »
more

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2016, 06:36:31 PM »
and more

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2016, 06:37:47 PM »
continuing

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2016, 06:39:27 PM »
and onwards

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2016, 06:41:04 PM »
and more

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2016, 06:42:34 PM »
still in open section

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal