We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: 2 Alliums for identification  (Read 1170 times)

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
2 Alliums for identification
« on: October 13, 2015, 12:52:59 PM »
Can anyone help with the identification of these 2 alliums.  The first has twisted leaves, as lusitanicum, but I don't think the flowers seem right for that species.  The second was grown from seed as falcifolium, but may be more allied to dichlamydeum.  Thanks for any ideas  ;D
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
Re: 2 Alliums for identification
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 02:23:03 PM »
Wow, this has gone without an answer for almost 5 months!

The deep color Allium looks like A. dichlamydeum

The paler pink senescens-like Allium that you received as A. lusitanicum, does have foliage that matches that species, but the flowers look more open and stellate than normal.

On the excellent Taxonomic Allium Reference Collection site (Gatersleben), I went through about half of the 53 accessions, most have photos of foliage and flowers, and while variable, the flowers seem more consistently closed and urceolate. Since this species and the allied senescens and other species freely hybridize in gardens, my guess its a hybrid.
http://apex.ipk-gatersleben.de/apex/f?p=265:3:4856180323236::NO::P3_SCIENTIFIC_NAME:759
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Rick R.

• Hungry for Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 02:46:19 PM »
Nice to have you back, Mark.
I am a word-aholic, and I had to look up "urceolate" in the book I have by James Harris and Melinda Woolf Harris,Plant Identification Terminology An Illustrated Glossary.  A very worthy purchase (or gift purchase) for any serious gardener.

Urceolate. Pitcher-like; hollow and contracted near the mouth like a pitcher or urn.  Figure 1411.

Rick Rodich
just west of Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
USDA zone 4, annual precipitation ~24in/61cm

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 03:09:16 PM »
Thanks, Mark, for your thoughts on these.
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal