We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: NZ field trip - North Island - Mt. Ruapehu  (Read 5136 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: NZ field trip - North Island - Mt. Ruapehu
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2008, 08:13:21 PM »
How on earth did he manage to do that?

Yes, I think it was probably P. vulgaris I saw in the UK. I find it very difficult in cultivation to say which is which, v or g.  Not roundup Andrew, a small trowel would be better.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

ajbroome

• Oxalis and such
Re: NZ field trip - North Island - Mt. Ruapehu
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2008, 10:21:32 PM »
Lesley said...

> How on earth did he manage to do that?

The Paraparas (the road between Wanganui and Raetihi) are very twisty.  I suspect the load in the trailer shifted, causing it flip and this would've significantly reduced the drivers ability to steer...

> Yes, I think it was probably P. vulgaris I saw in the UK. I find it
> very difficult in cultivation to say which is which, v or g.

Don't even look at P. macroceros then. :)

> Not roundup Andrew, a small trowel would be better.

There's at least one less specimen at the site already.  Not me I tell you!  Actually I find P. grandiflora tricky in cultivation, it lasts a year or two and then slowly dwindles away.  I suspect the winters here aren't cold enough or something.  Then again, I have a nice collection of Mexican Pinguicula species so that keeps me entertained.  It helps to have the guy with the biggest collection in NZ living a couple of blocks away ('Pete' in the 'people' photos) and coming to my house for takeaways tonight. :) He also grows some serious Arisaema and Tricyrtis although has resisted my Oxalis so far. :)

Andrew.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal