We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: July 2015 in the Northern Hemisphere  (Read 20577 times)

meanie

Re: July 2015 in the Northern Hemisphere
« Reply #135 on: July 31, 2015, 08:07:04 PM »
To close July in my garden;

Eucomis punctata is staying much more upright this year (it has a tendency to be a bit floppy)..............

Canna brasiliensis from seed this year...............

An unknown Agapanthus..............

And Datura wrightii.............

It was left in the ground again last winter so I now know that it is hardy to -8°c or thereabouts............
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 09:34:49 PM by Maggi Young »
West Oxon where it gets cold!

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #136 on: July 31, 2015, 09:49:21 PM »
Love the Canna - I had no idea they would flower so fast from seed.
Bumble bee heading for the Datura flower is great, love that!  I'm somewhat put in mind  of a Thunderbird landing at  Tracy Island  !!! ;D
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Gabriel B

• Freezing winters, hot summers
    • Gabriel's photos on Flickr
« Reply #137 on: August 01, 2015, 04:52:56 AM »
The old camera I was using died two weeks ago. I finally got a new camera yesterday, so I can take pictures again.

This European cyclamen has a very nice leaf pattern: silver edged with little green pebbles. It's a lot like Jan Bravenboer's cultivar 'Green Ice', but the pebbles are special. Hopefully its offspring will be similar.

The cyclamen in a pot on Betty Ann's inviting porch. It draws some attention from visitors. It's a rather nice form of Cyclamen purpurascens: small, tidy, bright flowers and small neatly patterned leaves. Almost as nice as one of the smaller cultivars of Cyclamen persicum.

This is a Minnesota native, spotted horsemint (Monarda punctata). It's bizarre and striking, with pink and green bracts and orange brown-spotted petals. It likes dry soil, and is very fast-growing; this plant grew from seed this spring. As you can see, the wasps like it.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 04:57:19 AM by Gabriel B »
Gabriel
Cyclamen and bleeding-heart lover in Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
Average daily high of 22 F (-6 C) in January, 83 F (28 C) in July; 22 days dropping below 0 F (-18 C) each winter

meanie

« Reply #138 on: August 01, 2015, 07:46:35 AM »
Love the Canna - I had no idea they would flower so fast from seed.
By far my favourite Canna. I've already harvested the seeds from the first plant to flower! The thing with Canna is to feed them, feed them some more and then when you think they've had enough feed them a double helping!!! I grow them in a fairly hefty mix of horse manure.

Bumble bee heading for the Datura flower is great, love that!  I'm somewhat put in mind  of a Thunderbird landing at  Tracy Island  !!! ;D
That'll be Thunderbird 2 then  ;)

meanie

« Reply #139 on: August 01, 2015, 07:47:44 AM »
This is a Minnesota native, spotted horsemint (Monarda punctata). It's bizarre and striking, with pink and green bracts and orange brown-spotted petals. It likes dry soil, and is very fast-growing; this plant grew from seed this spring. As you can see, the wasps like it.

(Attachment Link)
I like it too.

ian mcdonald

« Reply #140 on: August 01, 2015, 02:32:50 PM »
A couple of plants in flower in the garden in July. 351 is ivy broomrape grown from exchange seed. 355 is marsh helleborine.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal