We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cortusa matthioli and Phyteuma orbiculare growing condtions?  (Read 2042 times)

Cephalotus

• My passion is nature.
Cortusa matthioli and Phyteuma orbiculare growing condtions?
« on: February 09, 2008, 12:49:20 AM »
Hello everyone,
I have some problems with these two species. I am sure that many of you wish to have problems like mine, but could you help? I have read something about natural conditions of these species. I tried to imitate them, but it is impossible. Especially with the temperatures, because I live in lowland. I will try to describe how I grew them and if you can, please help me.

I grew Cortusa in open shade / a bit sun. It had much sand in soil so the water could easily soak through. Once, there were some really heavy raining days. It was raining for over one week. After few days all my Cortusa mouldered. Should I grow it in full sun and give some pebbly soil?

Problems with Phyteuma are much more weird. I already grew it in full sun and in light shade. I grew it in wet and dry conditions, in sandy and in normal soil. They always grew fantastic. They propagated really fast, they have grown up over 5 times. BUT! In Autumn they normally went dormant and they never shown up in spring. They simply disappeared. When I dug the roots up, they were all dead. What should do with that?

I hope I didn't describe that to complicated? Thank you for any help.
Best regards,
Chris Ciesielski
Zary, Poland

My photos: http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a206/cephalotus/

johanneshoeller

Re: Cortusa matthioli and Phyteuma orbiculare growing condtions?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 05:34:45 PM »
Most Cortusa mathiolii from the nature (e.g. Austrian Alps) are very difficult to grow. Near my house are growing many C.m. but to grow them in my or an other garden it is not possible. They flower and grow  there full in shaddow and in spring they stand in water. But there are some clones which you can buy in any garden centre and these Cortusas are easy to grow and will flower even full in sun.
Because Phytheuma .: Use a fungicide in summer/autumn and keep them dry in autumn and winter.

Hans
Hans Hoeller passed away, after a long illness, on 5th November 2010. His posts remain as a memory of him.

Cephalotus

• My passion is nature.
Re: Cortusa matthioli and Phyteuma orbiculare growing condtions?
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 07:34:53 PM »
Hello Hans,
thank you for your answer. Unfortunately I am not interested in other species of Cortusa. I only want my native C. matthioli. Any other do not interest me. About Phyteuma you suggest, that they like have humid soil in summer ana autumn, but in winter I should protect them from moist soil? Hmm, that is interesting many thanks! Still I am waiting for some tips how to grow Cortusa matthioli. :)
Best regards,
Chris Ciesielski
Zary, Poland

My photos: http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a206/cephalotus/

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal