We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: cypripedium  (Read 24007 times)

John Forrest

• Blackpool Bird Man
  • Blackpool Lancashire Northwest UK
Re: cypripedium
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2007, 11:29:53 AM »
That was a fascinating insight into growing Cyps Nelson. It is very easy to fall into the received wisdom that all will thrive under the same growing regime. Most gardeners want to grow the things that don't much care for the conditions  we can give. Mind you it is rubbing salt into our wounds when you talk of the mouth watering Calypso being thrown onto the compost heap :'(
Blackpool Lancashire Northwest UK

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2007, 02:11:27 PM »
I second that. Alas, we are trying to grow plants that don't occur naturally in this country. I often wonder if there would be enough genetic variation amongst the countless seeds to produce plants that would thrive in my garden? The idea that Calypso could root on a compost heap is amazing. :o Here flowering sized plants sell for more than cypripediums!
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

John Forrest

• Blackpool Bird Man
« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2007, 07:41:46 PM »
Perhaps we could persuade Nelson to send us a bucket full of Calypsos and in return we could let him have some old cabbage leaves and potato peelings from our compost heaps. ;D

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2007, 08:33:30 PM »
Now there's a thought. I think we in the West (OK Dunblane's central, but when it's raining in the west we're in the west) have the perfect climate for these special orchids.

Here's a pic of Cypripedium lichiangense growing in Yijia Wang's nursery. I'm trying to grow this species using a wick system to keep the compost moist and the crown dryish. I must not get its leaves wet or they will rot.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2007, 09:08:25 PM »
Good luck, Anthony, you will need it I think. And an umbrella.

I remember seeing lots of super Cyps etc growing in Yijia's nursery in posts on the old forum, search Cypripediums and you will find them.

Nelson, I'll see JoF's bucket of cabbage leaves and potato peelings and raise you three pineapple skins and a half bucket of carrot peelings !
{sings: "you've got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away and then know when to run. You never count your winnings when you're sitting at the table, there'll be time enough for counting, when the dealing's done" not a bad Kenny Rogers impression, even if I do say so, myself!!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 03:01:49 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2007, 11:32:08 PM »
This was the source of my info regarding these tricky cyps. http://www.slipperorchidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=94606
[I wonder if I will regret getting rid of my compost heap? The last lot of compost I had to take to the allotment - all 20 bags of it - so it was a waste of precious space. I don't have any garden I can spread that much compost on.]

canyoncreekman

« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2007, 11:40:14 PM »
Perhaps we could persuade Nelson to send us a bucket full of Calypsos and in return we could let him have some old cabbage leaves and potato peelings from our compost heaps. ;D

Sure. No problem if you'd like I'll send a couple dozen to you and you could share a few with enthusiasts on this forum.   Remind me in mid June. If I don't mark the plants when in bloom they 'disappear'.  A calypso  doesn't have much  greenery to it and they are soon overshadowed by many other woodland garden plants...many just 'stretching' awake when the calypsos fade.  Calypsos tend to be moody bloomers..not unlike our bunchberries. .  If I don't mark them or if they don't bloom I won't know where they are to dig up bulbs in mid July or so....but I'm pretty sure there will be plenty.  The bulbs are pea size and somewhat underwhelming to look at.  I'll include a copy of my permit in case there are any issues at that end.  

No need to send anything in return because 'gardening' in Canada is synonomous with trying to emulate the British garden. This is changing with more interest in alpines, natives and so on.  If a Brit was to walk into a Canadian garden center (nursery) you would feel right at home. The issue isn't always trying to grow a particular plant but growing it so it thrives.

Nelson Delaney
Canada

John Forrest

• Blackpool Bird Man
« Reply #52 on: March 07, 2007, 11:05:28 AM »
Nelson,I think Gobsmacked and overwhelmed describes the situation. I was only joking but I'm sure that other forumists would be similarly overjoyed to share your kind offer. About the nothing in return, do please have a look at any of the images posted and if anything takes your fancy just say the word. No cabbages I promise!!

Cheers

John
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 11:10:54 AM by John Forrest »

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2007, 12:04:07 PM »
I'll second that. That is extremely generous and I'd be delighted to take part in this fantastic offer.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #54 on: March 07, 2007, 12:10:55 PM »
Nelson, this is an amazing offer, I think you can tell we are overwhelmed by even the thought!
I only saw Calypso bulbosa "for real" for the first time in 1991 and I was immediately captivated.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

johanneshoeller

« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2007, 07:18:05 PM »
It was the last year in my garden.

Hans
Hans Hoeller passed away, after a long illness, on 5th November 2010. His posts remain as a memory of him.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2007, 10:01:36 PM »
Wow! :o I'm impressed. What is your secret Hans? Have you grown these from seedlings?

johanneshoeller

« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2007, 06:25:50 AM »
Antony, the plants are from an Austrian nursery and grown from seed. I have no problems to cultivate them for 5 years, and they grow much easier in my garden than in pots. I mean they need more water than we always mean.

Hans
from Austria
Hans Hoeller passed away, after a long illness, on 5th November 2010. His posts remain as a memory of him.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal