We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Vegetative propagation of candelabra primulas  (Read 2159 times)

Claire Cockcroft

Vegetative propagation of candelabra primulas
« on: June 07, 2015, 01:59:39 AM »
I have a couple of really nice hybrid candelabra primulas.  One is an apricot colored hybrid of Primula prolifera, the other a strawberry colored hybrid of P. cockburniana with white farina on the stems and flower heads.  As hybrids, neither sets viable seed.

I would like to divide these plants to share and for my own use.  Can anyone advise me on the best time to divide candelabras?  Is there another method to vegetatively propagate them?  Would root cuttings work?

Thank you for your help.  These are chance seedlings that showed up in the garden of their own accord.  I'd love to have more of them.
Claire Cockcroft
Bellevue, Washington, USA  Zone 7-8

Giles

• Prince of Primula
Re: Vegetative propagation of candelabra primulas
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2015, 11:37:42 AM »
I grow the sterile hybrid candelabra 'Inverewe' and divide it immediately after flowering, cutting the leaves back to an inch or two above the crown and put them somewhere cool and shady until they have started growing well again (just as I would primroses).
Some primulas can be propagated by root cuttings (Primula denticulata). I've never tried it with candelabras.

Claire Cockcroft

Re: Vegetative propagation of candelabra primulas
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 06:19:57 PM »
Thank you!  I'll give it a try.

Our weather has been unseasonably hot and is forecast to be so all summer.  Finding a cool spot will be the biggest challenge.
Claire Cockcroft
Bellevue, Washington, USA  Zone 7-8

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal