We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Fritillarias in NW Iran  (Read 2916 times)

art600

• Travels light, travels far
Fritillarias in NW Iran
« on: February 05, 2008, 10:34:31 AM »
Encouraged by my success in posting Iris from NW Iran, I thought someone might be interested in seeing some Fritillaria from this region.  All were photographed in May 2004.  I have many more on slides as this was the first time Itook a digital camera on holiday (now on my third with interchangeable lenses).
You will note that the Lily beetle is just as active in NW Iran as it is in my garden.

First the happy travellers, then Frit crassifolia, then Frit gibbosa seed pod.  We went back the next year 3 weeks earlier to see Frit gibbosa in flower - we were rewarded with a spectacular 13 flower plant.
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

art600

Re: Fritillarias in NW Iran
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 10:35:47 AM »
Some Fritillaria grandiflora
Arthur Nicholls

art600

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 10:37:24 AM »
Some ? Fritillaria crassifolia
Arthur Nicholls

art600

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 10:41:46 AM »
Something different

The Frit persica was growing by the roadside.

Image 61 is Fritillaria straussii

Image 62 was taken close to the Iraqi border and was an exciting find - possible specie nova
Arthur Nicholls

art600

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 10:47:34 AM »
If it was not for the space age mosque and the lamp post, you could almost be back in biblical times.  Whereas mosques are very common in Turkey - every village has at least one - they are not common in Iran.  This mosque has a very early copy of the Koran and whilst we were photographing it, someone rushed out from the mosque and, finding we were from England, asked for our help in recovering a page from this Koran - it is in the British Library.

The Fritillaria imperialis is one of thousands in a conservation park.  It had a message at the entry, roughly translated as "Protect nature for future generations".  It was an excellent picnic spot provided you did not go on a Friday - everone goes on a Friday HOLIDAY
Arthur Nicholls

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 10:51:12 AM »
Wonderful pics Art.  Excellent!!
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 11:04:50 AM »
Brilliant - Thanks!  Just watch the hit count on the pictures and you'll see how much your postings are appreciated!

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2008, 11:38:14 AM »
Cracking pictures Arthur, thanks for posting them.

I wouldn't bother approaching the British Museum to try to get release of the Koran page if I was you-you might start to get your phone bugged ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

kaydale

• Bulb Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008, 03:20:42 AM »
WOW!! :o
Someday I hope to see them in the wild like that, but for now I will continue to enjoy your photos!
From the best part of Australia
North West Tasmania

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal