We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Remarks from the Weekly KAVB Flower Show - Lisse  (Read 507325 times)

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
Re: Remarks from the Weekly KAVB Flower Show - Lisse
« Reply #1695 on: March 27, 2013, 10:14:41 PM »
Hippeastrum Marilyn   
Hippeastrum Floris Hekker
Hippeastrum Barbados                                     
Hippeastrum Diva     
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #1696 on: March 27, 2013, 10:15:59 PM »
Hippeastrum 2
Hippeastrum Double Dragon                                 
Hippeastrum Superstar                                     
Hippeastrum Jewel                                     
Hippeastrum Jewel cl.
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #1697 on: March 27, 2013, 10:16:59 PM »
and a few other entries:

Tropaeolum tricolor                                               
Narcissus hispanicus var. pinetorum                                                   
Narcissus asturiensis
Narcissus bulbocodium ssp. bulbocodium var. conspicuus     

Boyed

• Vintage Tulips
« Reply #1698 on: March 28, 2013, 07:13:24 AM »
Luit,

What a splenadid hippeastrums!!! I got a great pleasure and lots of positive impression out of looking at the photos of these boxom hippeastrum cultivars! I grow some of them, fore instance, 'Jewel' with its exvisite shape.

Though in leterature it is recommended to plant hipeastrums small narrow pots, I grow them in big 5 to 7 litre pots providing their big bulbs with enough soil and nutrients. So every year they reward me with heavy blooming annually. Some cv-s, as 'Mont Blanc', bloom wtice in a year. I repot them ones in 4-5 years. During these period readily increasing varieties form nice clumps in big pots and bloom with groups (wonderful display). I never make them go dormant artificilally unless they want to do it themselves.

One of my colleagues from Yerevan grows them as galdiolus (planting the bulbs in spring outdoors and then harvesting them in October and storing dry untill next spring). They do quite well and grow huge bulbs. Now I want to practice this method myself with enough multiplied varieties.
Zhirair, Tulip collector, bulb enthusiast
Vanadzor, ARMENIA

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #1699 on: March 28, 2013, 02:55:41 PM »
Very nice, Luit, if only I had so many N. asturiensis that I could cut a bunch!
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #1700 on: March 28, 2013, 10:35:28 PM »
Zhirair, I'm glad you like my picture. Hipp. Jewel is one of my favourites too. Nice flowers and many on every bulb and so clear white!

Very nice, Luit, if only I had so many N. asturiensis that I could cut a bunch!
Patience Anne, just patience....
The most important virtue for a gardener  :-*

Ezeiza

« Reply #1701 on: March 29, 2013, 02:04:56 AM »
The advice of growing Hippeastrums in small pots is from the time little was understood of drainage  and water physics in a container and let's admit it, lots of books are simply copy and paste of previous ones.
Alberto Castillo, in south America, near buenos Aires, Argentina.

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #1702 on: March 29, 2013, 04:26:28 PM »
Outside polar circumstances are still dominating with very strong winds but nevertheless in the Show Hall very good quality was shown on Monday with many special Hippeastrum entries:

But first I want to show you what may happen in my own garden with our sandy soil when some digging had to be done for replanting on about ten sq. meters and replanting was not finished when the winterweather hit us again. This small area was totally windswept and the sand covered parts of the garden and partly a raised bed and after three days it looks so:

windswept garden

The Sahara in Holland, Luit ? ::)
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #1703 on: March 29, 2013, 04:36:39 PM »
Why not ?

I just saw a mountain in Flanders
 http://www.vrvforum.be/forum/index.php?topic=984.msg40975#msg40975       8)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #1704 on: March 29, 2013, 08:41:44 PM »
Luc, the good thing is that I don't have to travel far to see a desert  :-\
but the bad thing is that I have to search now for some very good plants ( like flowering narcissi and Callianthemum in bud etc. etc. )under the sand and it is still to cold ( for me) to do so right now.  :-X :-X

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #1705 on: March 29, 2013, 08:55:33 PM »
Luit,
maybe a strong hoover may help to remove the dry sand gently from the raised beds and you can find your covered buries? ;)
But I'm afraid you will still need a shovel and a wheelbarrow for the path. :P
Best wishes
Armin

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #1706 on: March 31, 2013, 11:12:45 PM »
Luit, so many people love to check what's on show in Lisse. Don't ever think we don't appreciate your magnum opus. :)

I have been very frustrated this summer/autumn by the lack of Iris reticulata vars in our garden centres. I have some potted but lifted too early really, when I could still see them. Some I left until they'd died down and as a result couldn't find them at all even though they were carefully labelled. So when I have shopped to replace - no joy at all. I've been able to get 'Harmony,', Cantab' and a couple of others but not 'Natascha,' 'Violet Beauty' and some others. I'm told there will be a full range next year.

Having said that, all these come in from Holland and are chilled for 6 months either here or there then put on sale in the southern hemisphere so that if they survive the first year, it takes still a couple of years to bring them back up to full strength. Moreover, since I reticulata is a permitted species I can't understand why the same very few vars are imported each year and never the newer, different kinds. There's no reason why such as 'White Caucasus and many others can't be brought in by the wholesalers but do they? Never!. >:(
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #1707 on: April 01, 2013, 11:04:28 PM »
Luit, so many people love to check what's on show in Lisse. Don't ever think we don't appreciate your magnum opus. :)

Lesley, it makes me happy that you still like my reports, :D  but going to these weekly shows helps me to survive this terrible, endless winter weather. With forecasts telling us that it will continue with temps not above 5 - 7 degrees and frosts in the night, for at least a week or even longer.  :'(

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #1708 on: April 01, 2013, 11:11:28 PM »
Luit, our weather forecasters are threatening us with more bad weather  too - for most of the month, they say  :'(  I wonder if the exhibitors at Lisse understand how many people they are sustaining through the winter with their colourful displays?
We are used to learning from the displays all through the year- but this year the Winter Medicine from Lisse is really needed.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #1709 on: April 02, 2013, 10:30:20 PM »
Maggi and Luit, the European weather sounds awful just now. Had we southerners travelling north in very few weeks now, better dig out our winter woollies?
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal