We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cypripedium / terrestrial orchids in hydroleca / clay granules  (Read 4297 times)

SteveC2

Re: Cypripedium / terrestrial orchids in hydroleca / clay granules
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2015, 04:43:50 PM »
The fact that Cypripedium segawai is a rare species in its home in Taiwan really does not come into this equation as it is being mass produced on the continent and sold by just about every nursery involved in selling Cypripediums.  I suspect the expensive price tag is at least partly because it is a difficult plant to grow, not according to me, but according to the  Frosch website, which makes me even more convinced that your decision to start with species, and by the sound of it some of the more difficult ones, rather than learning the ropes on hybrids is the root of your problems.

How did the perlite get so sodden last October?  I doubt that York's climate is so very different to my own, but if it is exceptionally wet then the thing about pots is that they can be put somewhere sheltered.  By Lincolnshire standards we have had a monsoon overnight, water butts are full and overflowing, but I doubt that the perlite in any of my pots could be described as sodden because it is so free draining and because all stand in the shelter of the house.  I have no reason to doubt Neil's figure of 225 mls of water per litre but to achieve this figure I suspect that I would have to put the perlite in a jug and leave it some time to fully absorb the water.  This should not be happening in a plant pot.  When I water my plants it seems as if the water is pouring out of the bottom of the pots as fast as I put it in.  To get it anywhere near sodden I would have to block all the holes in the base.

My advice is to you is the same as I'd give to anyone new to Cypripediums or struggling with them, go buy an Ulla Silkens or a Hank Small.

Neil

• Hardy Orchid Grower
    • The Hardy Orchid Society
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2015, 08:15:09 PM »
To get perlite that saturated it needs to stand in the water.  Even if it is saturated it will still have air spaces between the pieces of perlite.  You can stand a pot of perlite in water and it will not get waterlogged
Interested in Hardy Orchids then join The Hardy Orchid Society
Wanted Hardy Orchid Seed please pm me if you have some that you can spare
Sussex, England, UK Zone 9a

Corrado & Rina

« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2015, 10:24:15 PM »
Apologies but I need to correct what previously said: Jeff at Laneside is using a compost with 5% to 10% fine bark and the rest is equal parts of perlite and pumice. So, perlite is still in the mix! I had misunderstood, my mistake.

Regards

Corrado
Corrado & Rina

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2015, 08:21:53 AM »
Where did you get Seramis from? I do not seems to be able to get it.

Best,

Corrado
I bought it in garden centres, which went through a Seramis phase. I then gradually cleaned out all the stocks I could find as it very quickly went out of fashion. Managed to convince a friend that the stuff was mined in a place called Hydroponic in north west Scotland.  ;D
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

monocotman

« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2015, 12:41:59 PM »
I agree with Steve.
It takes a bit of time to become experienced at growing cyps.
The easiest species is definitely reginae.
If you class it as a species then the forms of x ventricosum are straight forward and quick.
The rest can be miffy or Ok but you can lose them for no apparent reason.
The most difficult are the spotty leaved types - only for those that like to throw their money away.
I would try any of the easily available hybrids first.
David
'remember that life is a shipwreck, but we must always remember to sing in the life boats'

Heard recently on radio 4

SteveC2

« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2015, 06:01:18 PM »
The most difficult are the spotty leaved types - only for those that like to throw their money away.

I have four of these critters.  Not lost one yet, but two seem to be shrinking and I have never seen a flower!

hud357

« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2015, 05:00:29 PM »
With my (very) limited experience I can only say that my calceolous in cat litter (clay granules) isn't dead yet  ::)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal