We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cypripedium / terrestrial orchids in hydroleca / clay granules  (Read 4298 times)

Corrado & Rina

Dear all,

Has anyone tried to grow Cypripedium in hydroleca or other clay granules?

Regards

Corrado
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 04:08:06 PM by corradoerina »
Corrado & Rina

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Cypripedium / terrestrial orchids in hydroleca / clay granules
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 03:50:25 PM »
If you do a search of Hydoleca  from the search button, fourth from the left in the row of "butttons"  near the top of this page -  just under your profile picture, you will find references to mentions of growing in this medium.

Several just refer to the use of hydroleca as a top-dressing for the posts.  You can search for clay granules too and there are a few results for that too.

There doesn't seem to be much in depth discussion.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Corrado & Rina

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 03:54:28 PM »
If you do a search of Hydoleca  from the search button, fourth from the left in the row of "butttons"  near the top of this page -  just under your profile picture, you will find references to mentions of growing in this medium.

Several just refer to the use of hydroleca as a top-dressing for the posts.  You can search for clay granules too and there are a few results for that too.

There doesn't seem to be much in depth discussion.

Ciao Maggie,

Yes, I did some research on the forum, but I only found information about people using it for top dressing. I am more interested in using it as main medium (potentially on using it as 100% medium), not just for top dressing.

Regards

Corrado
Corrado & Rina

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2015, 04:26:03 PM »
Wonder why no-one seems to be doing that?   :-\
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

arisaema

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2015, 02:31:03 AM »
Isn't the grain size too large? Lots of people use moler clay cat litter, if you can find that for sale.

monocotman

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2015, 07:17:06 AM »
I've not heard of anyone trying this but it's possible that it could work with large pots and plenty of watering,
David
'remember that life is a shipwreck, but we must always remember to sing in the life boats'

Heard recently on radio 4

Corrado & Rina

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2015, 08:22:46 AM »
Isn't the grain size too large? Lots of people use moler clay cat litter, if you can find that for sale.

I think they come in different grades and sizes. I thought moler clay tended to deteriorate quickly. Is that not the case?

Best,
Corrado & Rina

arisaema

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2015, 09:12:46 AM »
Moler clay never showed any signs of deteriorating over the 4-5 years (and many freeze-thaw cycles down to -20C) I used it, it's burnt clay, so they're fairly solid. Akadama does deteriorate, maybe your source got them mixed up?

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2015, 10:24:57 AM »
Can you still get Seramis®?
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Corrado & Rina

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2015, 06:54:07 PM »
Can you still get Seramis®?

Hi Anthony!

Did you ever try it? is it any good?

Regards

Corrado
Corrado & Rina

SteveC2

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2015, 07:39:30 PM »
Seramis £3.45 for three litres.  Might work, but I am sure that I have heard people mention problems with using it.  Possibly pH related?
Perlite £7.55 for one hundred litres.  Does work.
Why complicate things?  Surely Cypripediums are too expensive to be experimenting with.

Steve Garvie

• Rainbirder's photostream
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2015, 07:51:26 PM »
Seramis £3.45 for three litres.  Might work, but I am sure that I have heard people mention problems with using it.  Possibly pH related?
Why complicate things?  Surely Cypripediums are too expensive to be experimenting with.

My thoughts exactly!
WILDLIFE PHOTOSTREAM: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rainbirder/

Steve
West Fife, Scotland.

Corrado & Rina

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2015, 07:54:04 PM »

I had a lot of problems with perlite and lost few plants (including a very precious franchetii) because perlite seemed to  store too much moisture and to deteriorate over time. I must not be the only one, because I spoke to Jeff of Laneside and he is now using pumice.<- I discovered that this was in fact incorrect and I had misunderstood: Jeff uses a mix with 5% to 10% fine bark and the rest is equal parts of perlite and pumice!!!!

I would like to find an alternative medium that I can use practically pure, using the setting proposed by Cribb / Weinart (http://www.kew.org/discover/news/hardy-cypripedium-book-month, last section on cultivation in pots).

I really do not want to experiment, and that is the reason why I am asking what alternative media you have been using. I had heard of people using the following: clay granules, pumice, moler clay, akadama, coconut coir (including a segawae which I had bought) and even loam.

With my micro climatic conditions I need something that stores humidity and nutrients but not too much and has some weight so that pots do not topple, does not deteriorate with temperature variations and that can be used pure. I would also like it to be produced through a sustainable and not hazardous process.

Regards

Corrado
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 10:27:57 PM by corradoerina »
Corrado & Rina

SteveC2

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2015, 08:37:15 PM »
I remember your first post back in 2013 and thought then that I would have started with some "inexpensive" hybrids rather than going in at the deep end with species.  My fear is that you might be about to make the same mistake again.  I also seem to remember you having slug issues.  I think that described them as the slugs from Hell?  This will have weakened your plants. 

I am surprised that your perlite had deteriorated so quickly.  I find it fine for at least four years.
I really would stick with the perlite.  You can add ballast to your pots by plunging the plastic pot into a terracotta one.  I am on the edge of the fens and believe me , it blows every single day, it's just a question of from which direction.  All my plants are in terracotta, many with plastic inside, as otherwise they spend too much time on their sides.

Good luck with whatever you choose, Cyps are so wonderful it is worth the effort.

Corrado & Rina

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2015, 10:24:28 PM »

Where do you find perlite at £7.75 x 100l??

Regards
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 10:57:05 PM by corradoerina »
Corrado & Rina

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal