We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Sowing Saxifraga  (Read 4193 times)

Cgull49

• Rob Stuart
Sowing Saxifraga
« on: February 04, 2008, 04:44:15 PM »
I'm just about ready to sow the Saxifraga I received last week as part of my surplus seeds order.  My question is should I sow them in the same soil mix that I use for bulbs, as per the Bulb Despot, or should I be sowing them into a different type of soil mix?

Rob
Rob Stuart - Ottawa, Ontario Canada - z5

Hkind

• Hannelotte's Garden
Re: Sowing Saxifraga
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 06:29:31 PM »
Rob,
There are so many different species demanding different conditions. But I assume that you are going to sow Kabschias.  They'll do with  any well drained soil. Since the seedlings development is quite slow, you should use sterilized soil to avoid weed etc.  Most species don't germinate in temperatures above 15 degr C.

Good luck!

Hannelotte.
Hannelotte in Sweden

Hannelotte's Garden website:
http://www.abc.se/~m8449/

Cgull49

• Rob Stuart
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 07:00:19 PM »
Hannelotte,

Thanks for your response.  When I looked at one of my gardening books it identified four different types of growing regimes for saxifraga.  The terms used are: moderately fertile, moist but well draining, neutral to alkaline soil; moist, well-drained humus-rich soil in the shade; and, humus-rich but sharply draining soil in light shade.  What I don’t understand is the difference between the terms “well draining”, “well-drained” and “sharply draining” and between the terms “moderately fertile” and “humus-rich”.  Do you have any sense of the difference between the soil types or the drainage terms?

Wanting to get my seeds sown, the soil I ended up using is 2 parts loam, 1 part compost and 2 parts 6mm marble chips, with some bone meal and some slow release fertilizer.  I’ve sowed the seeds and watered the pots from the bottom, drained them overnight and then covered them with a loosely applied sheet of very light plastic wrap (Saran Wrap is the product name)  and placed them in a cool place with light in my basement.  I guess all I can do now is wait.

Rob

Hkind

• Hannelotte's Garden
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 08:57:09 PM »
Rob,
I think the terms are quite confusing - maybe that is, because english is not my first language. So I can hardly help you.. Sorry!

Hannelotte
Hannelotte in Sweden

Hannelotte's Garden website:
http://www.abc.se/~m8449/

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 11:18:26 PM »
I'm not sure the bone meal and fertilizer was a great idea for seeds, Rob, but, hey ho,
 you'll soon find out! Have you tried a look around the Saxifraga group website.... there's a link here somewhere...........??
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 11:20:39 PM »
The Saxifraga society page:     http://www.saxifraga.org/default.asp

They have a forum! See this page about composts: http://www.saxifraga.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=21
I think I was right about them not needing food :P
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 11:28:44 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Cgull49

• Rob Stuart
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 06:21:13 PM »
Maggi,

Thanks for the link.  It's been quite helpful if not a little confusing; deep root run, 50/50 sand and peat, some crushed stone and lots of rocks.  Sounds rather barren compared to my normal soils but I'm certainly up to give it a try.  The landscaping around my home was done firstly with builders sand and then some topsoil on which to grow grass.  So I shouldn't have too much of a problem getting the drainage and the cool deep root run.

Unfortunately, I can't do much with the saxes I've already sown but once they get big enough to move I'll be putting them into the proper mix assuming they don't succomb to root disease first.

Rob 

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal