We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Should I write them off?  (Read 5030 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Should I write them off?
« on: August 17, 2007, 08:15:48 PM »
In order to get some colour into a new raised bed I bought a few Saxs from the garden centre which looked really nice earlier in the year. Now though, two of them are looking distinctly tatty with the cushions breaking apart and looking dead inside, maybe because of all the wet weather we have had. I think I have read somewhere that when this happens it is possible to fill the gaps in the cushions with gritty compost and that new growth will be made.

Is this so, or should I just cut my losses and get some new plants next Spring?

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Carlo

• BirdMan and Botanical Blogger
    • BotanicalGardening.com
Re: Should I write them off?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 08:25:57 PM »
David,

Having just posted an article on the website titled "Killing with a purpose" my answer SHOULD be to yank them and put nice ones back next year....

BUT....

If you don't mind them looking a bit punky for a while, putting gritty soil into the bare spots (*if not gritty enough, you'll just hasten the inevitable...) OR...

Since the don't look tooooooo bad, lift the skirts (which will have the effect of bunching the remaining growths back into cushion form) and put extra GRAVEL underneath to hold the affair together.

Give it a go...they aren't goners yet.
Carlo A. Balistrieri
Vice President
The Garden Conservancy
Zone 6

Twitter: @botanicalgarden
Visit: www.botanicalgardening.com and its BGBlog, http://botanicalgardening.com/serendipity/index.php

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 08:36:19 PM »
The mossy saxs get wide with age so I personally would pull them out and buy encrusted saxs
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2007, 05:35:15 AM »
Don't do that David. There's nothing wrong with mossy sax's. Go with what Carlo says, and even if you leave them as is, you'll find there will be new autumn growth which will fill them out, quite soon. Each tatty rosette will make new little ones and so fill up the spaces. But the gravel around and under is good. You should also take a few rosettes off, as cuttings, just putting the stems into damp sand, and they'll root in no time, as new, chunky little plants. Put something into the tatty bits and round about that will do for grass grub and vine weevils. Both LOOOVE all kinds of Saxifrage.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2007, 09:47:29 AM »
David I would go with Leslie on this one. Last year the hot summer played havoc with my kabshia saxs most of which were growing in tufa. I carefully cut out the dead (took a few cuttings as well) and as Carlo said top dressed where I could. They have mostly recovered. So what do you have to lose? Also each year the blackbirds do the sme kind of damage and though very irritating I use the material for cuttings
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2007, 10:11:21 AM »
Thanks all of you for you replys. I will try to save them and will take some cuttings (a Yorkshireman doesn't throw away money easily :'(

They are nice little plants, I shall buy some more, and I intend to plant a trough with Kabashias. Mark, I shall read and learn more about the encrusted types.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal