We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Rant and question: Last frost and protecting sprouting cypripedium?!  (Read 1274 times)

Corrado & Rina

Dear all,

We had the dubious joy of a late hard frost here in the NE, which froze the mini pond. The plants do not seem to have enjoyed particularly (the Rhododendrons in particular).

The cypripedium are sprouting under the layer of superficial insulation (I use cork granulate), but some already have flowering stalks that have emerged. Is there a way of protecting them?

By the way, it is the first time i have such a hard frost so late in the year: do they normally survive, or shall I just give up?

Regards
Corrado & Rina

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Rant and question: Last frost and protecting sprouting cypripedium?!
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 09:22:39 AM »
"late" frost?   We've had frost and snow here in Aberdeen on 12th June - think yourself lucky is my initial reaction.
We had snowfall yesterday and overnight - not fun.

For potted plants it is usually much easier to provide them with additional protection - lifting  under cover at night or  using fleece covers .....

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

SteveC2

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 10:12:30 AM »
I am not too far away, down in Lincolnshire, but have missed any significant frost, not that I am too worried about it with respect to Cypripediums anyway.  Mine have been out all winter, as once again we haven't really had one.  If they are just buds then if you are worried and feel the need, throw a bit of fleece over them.  With bigger ones I think that would do more harm than good.  If they were in flower and potted you could always move them into a garage or greenhouse over night.  I am constantly doing the potty shuffle at the moment just to get into the greenhouse in the morning, but that is only because I am trying to protect a few things for an upcoming display.

I too am surprised that you think this is late for a harsh frost.  A couple of years back all the potatoes on the local allotments were trashed in late May.

I am sure that Cyps get harsh late frosts where they grow naturally so I am sure they will survive, but as for giving up growing them, never! ;D

monocotman

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 12:37:29 PM »
I agree with Steve.
Use some fleece overnight if you are worried about them.
I did last night and we had a slight ground frost.
Even if they are frosted you will probably only lose a few flowers,
David
'remember that life is a shipwreck, but we must always remember to sing in the life boats'

Heard recently on radio 4

Neil

• Hardy Orchid Grower
    • The Hardy Orchid Society
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 04:58:11 PM »
What is a late frost?   ;D
Interested in Hardy Orchids then join The Hardy Orchid Society
Wanted Hardy Orchid Seed please pm me if you have some that you can spare
Sussex, England, UK Zone 9a

Corrado & Rina

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2015, 05:53:00 PM »
"late" frost?   We've had frost and snow here in Aberdeen on 12th June - think yourself lucky is my initial reaction.
We had snowfall yesterday and overnight - not fun.  For potted plants it is usually much easier to provide them with additional protection - lifting  under cover at night or  using fleece covers .....

Not very lucky, you forget we had >15C for days (>10C for weeks) and > 9C at night. Plant were in full swing.

This is Rhododendrn williamsianum after yesterday frost

484620-0

lost all flowers and all the new growth.

This is the relatively rare R. recurvoides, which has lost al the new growth:

484622-1

Not happy at all ....

Corrado & Rina

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2015, 05:58:57 PM »
Yes, of course we have had similar damage here too. Your R. williamsianum shoots are gone, but if  you pick off the frosted tips and the season improves soon, you may well get regrowth. As to your R. recurvoides - I see only one shoot with real damage - most of the very young shoots look okay - have faith!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2015, 06:01:27 PM »
lost all flowers and all the new growth.
 is the relatively rare R. recurvoides, which has lost al the new growth:

Not to worry.  My friend recoiled in horror at an extremely late frost in the 1960's at Windsor Great Park one June.  T. Hope Findlay, the great plantsman, was ecstatic as he said it saved him weeks of pruning and dead-heading and so at last he could get down to some productive work with the trees.

john 
John in coastal Nova Scotia

SteveC2

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2015, 06:31:41 PM »
But on the plus side, I notice that there are no photographs of frost damaged Cypripediums which hopefully proves my point!

Corrado & Rina

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2015, 06:40:06 PM »
But on the plus side, I notice that there are no photographs of frost damaged Cypripediums which hopefully proves my point!

Did not dare to check .... but crossed fingers, apparently there is more bad weather to come according to BBC weather.
Corrado & Rina

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal