We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Trees at Andy Murray's wedding in Dunblane  (Read 2461 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Trees at Andy Murray's wedding in Dunblane
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2015, 12:00:27 PM »
Might the growing conditions affect the  shape of the leaves? I'm thinking of  how Rhododendron leaves react to cold and/ or drought....  :-\

Some other pix of those blossom  trees that so intriqued me!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2015, 01:27:35 PM »
Could they be Viburnum awabuki?
John in coastal Nova Scotia

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2015, 01:37:49 PM »
Yes, cherry laurel leaves contain cyanide. Not sure about the Portuguese variety. Here's another pic. taken the day after - Sunday morning.

Anthony  - I've read the concentrations are very high in winter and not so very during the growing season.  Is that true?

john
John in coastal Nova Scotia

latestart

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2015, 01:54:35 PM »
You will notice bay leaves are flat. The trees used in the wedding have leaves that are not flat.
Anthony I cannot see them clearly from the photos but from your own photos the Portuguese laurel has serrated edges but the Laurel nobilis has a slightly wavy edge without the serrated bits. I have been having a look at the strange shape of the trees in question and have discovered this is called 'pleaching'. It is designed to allow walls etc to be seen below the head of the tree. Maybe they have been borrowed from his hotel for the day. Maggie your photos of the flowering cherry trees are very nice in those huge arrangements but what a shame that they have been chopped, unless they are artificial (silk). They do all seem to be the same size. I hope somebody from Dunblane will let us know.     

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal