We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: infection on Anemone nemorosa?  (Read 2523 times)

JPB

• My plants
infection on Anemone nemorosa?
« on: April 06, 2015, 06:20:13 PM »
I just found these strange deformations on stem and leaves. Is it an infection?

Hans
NE part of The Netherlands. Hardiness zone 7/8

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
Re: infection on Anemone nemorosa?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 07:03:48 PM »
'Super Allenii' suffers from this some years or something similar and makes huge leaves
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 08:01:12 PM »
Yes - it is 'Big Leaf'(!). To be safe, I would remove the affected rhizomes and dispose of them (not on your compost heap).
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

JPB

• My plants
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 06:53:53 AM »
Thanks for your replies, I'll remove the infected parts. Still I do not know whether it is a recurring infection (I had it before and I removed the infected plants) or that it is triggered by environmental conditions.... ???

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2015, 08:26:07 AM »
I am not sure anyone is sure what causes it.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2015, 10:13:30 AM »
My understanding is that this is caused by a mycoplasma (a bacterium lacking a cell wall that infects the phloem of plants) and causes virus-like symptoms - often dwarfing and yellowing. I don't know if these have been identified in Anemone nemorosa but they occur in Trillium causing deformation of the leaves and flowers, and all sorts of effects on other plants. It does seem to be a problem  (like viral infections) which can easily be spread by vegetative propagation, and Anemone nemorosa naturally spreads clonally with little increase from seed so may be more vulnerable than other plants? We've never found this to be a big problem in the garden (presumably infected plants or parts of rhizomes gradually die out) and the fact that a mycoplasma lacks a cell wall means that transmission is limited to vectors like aphids and leafhoppers that suck sap from the phloem, so it can't spread in the same way as fungi for example. It is certainly a problem for the nursery :( when a lot of these plants are grown but usually visible in the abnormal swelling of the rhizomes.
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

arisaema

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2015, 11:53:03 AM »
Always thought it was fungal? It's quite common in the wild in southern Norway, big leaves that eventually seem to turn brown and release spores...

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2015, 12:08:48 PM »
Sad to say (though we have never had this in the garden) Anemone nemorosa also gets a fungal disease (Dumontinia tuberosa), apparantly on, rather than in, the rhizomes which causes a black rot (ref: 'Pests and Diseases of Alpine Plants', Ellis, Entwistle and Walkey). This produces typical small cup-like 'mushrooms' at ground level (there is a good picture in the book). Leaf rusts are pretty common in plants too but they don't mention these in Anemone.
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2015, 07:23:03 PM »
Hans,
could it be caused by cat piss?
I consider this as a possibility.

Best wishes
Armin

ArdfearnAli

• Ardfearn Nursery
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2015, 05:38:58 PM »
I have it on some seasons on nemerosa flpl (vestal) and robinsoniana. It doesn't seem to affect nemerosa atrocoerulea, ranunculoides or the hybrid seemanii. I put it down to either a virus or perhaps climate. I think the best option as said is to remove infected rhizomes and hope it doesn't re occur. I tend to find it in pots but it seems to be ok in the garden.

Alasdair

JPB

• My plants
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2015, 12:22:15 PM »
Hans,
could it be caused by cat piss?
I consider this as a possibility.

Armin, I don't know. I do have cats but i keep my plants in pots...

partisangardener

• Luther Art
greetings from Bayreuth/Germany zone 6b (340 m)
Axel
sorry I am no native speaker, just picked it up.

arisaema

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2018, 03:40:14 AM »
It still looks somewhat like rust to me, Ochropsora ariae and Tranzschelia anemones both infect A. nemorosa.

partisangardener

• Luther Art
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2018, 07:57:39 PM »
The Symptoms of both are very different. First one has smaller leafs.  In this case on the contrary.
The second one has the spore pimples underneath which are in the virus disease totally absent.

The description in my link fits perfectly to what I observe here the last decades, especially with Vestal. Abnormally big and somewhat deformed leafs, mostly without or rarely with deformed flowers.
greetings from Bayreuth/Germany zone 6b (340 m)
Axel
sorry I am no native speaker, just picked it up.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal