We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Growing Cypripedium margaritaceum Franch.  (Read 1391 times)

Corrado & Rina

Growing Cypripedium margaritaceum Franch.
« on: March 30, 2015, 10:45:54 PM »
Dear all,

I am having my first go at growing Cypripedium margaritaceum Franch. , one of my dream plants.Having killed plenty of C. before, I am hoping on some help from the experts here.

In particular, what is the watering regime? Can I leave it under the rain, now the season started? Is it better to keep it under cover all the time and water sparingly?

Regards

Corrado

Corrado & Rina

Steve Garvie

• Rainbirder's photostream
Re: Growing Cypripedium margaritaceum Franch.
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 11:28:18 PM »
Grow it in a very open mix of perlite, pumice and quartzite grit with no more than 10% organics and a sprinkling of dolomitic lime.

When planting the rhizome mark the level of the rhizome on the outside of the pot (plastic is best). Always water from below placing the pot in a container of water but ensuring the water level is always a few cm below the level of the rhizome. Water frequently but do not leave in standing water for more than a few minutes. Feed sparingly at about 1/4 strength -I use a proprietary orchid feed about every 4th watering. Keep water off the leaves/ crown.

When in growth keep cool, well-ventilated and ALWAYS out of direct sunlight as even minor scorch on the leaves causes leaf dieback.
Protect from slugs/snails.

Keep in growth for as long as possible.

New root growth occurs mainly in the autumn and new growth buds often lie quite deep.
Store dormant plants just frost-free (2-5C) for at least 3 months (I use a cold garage).
WILDLIFE PHOTOSTREAM: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rainbirder/

Steve
West Fife, Scotland.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal