We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Benmore and Threave  (Read 1354 times)

TC

• Roving Reporter
Benmore and Threave
« on: March 18, 2015, 10:06:57 PM »
Made our first trip to Benmore last Saturday.  Felt quite chuffed as the Cilipense at the entrance was not as far forward as mine !
It was interesting to see what changes had been made since last year.  The most obvious was that the Golden Gates had been rehung after a being restored to their former glory..
Some Rhododendrons in flower but it will be about 2/3 weeks before the full flowering will commence.
A few pictures of what is in bloom.
As we had some time in hand, we decided to go round to Loch Fyne and the Tree shop for a nosy.  On the way out, I noticed a cinnabarinum Roylei.
Although I had said we have enough Rhododendrons, it was lifted and joined by an oreotrephes.  We had one of this plant about 10 years old but it took a check and refused to grow any further.  I finally pulled it up and dumped it so I will try again.
Sunday saw us heading for Logan gardens 70 miles down the coast.  When we got to the town of Girvan - 24 miles on- we found the A77 was closed all the way to Stranraer, so we went by the narrow twisting road to Newton Stewart dodging convoys of 40 foot container lorries coming towards us taking up the width of the road.
The thought of travelling another 40 miles and having to come back the same route was too much, so we went to Wigtown to watch the geese and 14 Little Egrets
From there to Threave Gardens which is just about to come into it's Spring flowering.  Then back home via Lochinvar to have a look at the bird life  - 12 Whooper Swans
fattening up for migration and a leucistic Kestrel in an all-over sandy plumage.  I think I have had enough driving for a while!!!
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

TC

• Roving Reporter
Re: Benmore and Threave
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 10:09:40 PM »
some more
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 10:11:22 PM by TC »
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

TC

• Roving Reporter
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 10:13:09 PM »
Threave
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 10:23:31 PM »
Thanks for posting those Tom, a well-needed lift in the dead of winter here.

What a remarkable pink ririei, I have never heard of such a thing.  And that oreodoxa is just about the strongest pink I've ever seen.

Funny when you mentioned the Golden Gates I though you meant R. 'Golden Gate' s.  Now seeing those magnificent gates I realize they really do deserve caps!

johnw
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 12:44:48 AM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal