We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Kendal Show 14th March 2015  (Read 11576 times)

veteran vet

Re: Kendal Show 14th March 2015
« Reply #60 on: March 16, 2015, 10:30:02 AM »
As is usual for this time of year Primula allionii, especially in the <19cm pans, were in good form although they were fewer in number this year the quality was still there. Some examples are
Primula 'Lepus' Geoff Rollinson who also had
Primula allionii 'Francis Burrow' (54)
My
Primula allionii 'Hythe Vicki' was up against it in the one pan class but it was the first time I have had on the bench...has some potential though
Iris svetlanae (47) Ivor Betteridge was a much admired exhibit, don't remember seeing it before
Pulsatilla grandis 'Budapest Blue' (62) from Dave Riley caught my eye, it did not get placed but was a lovely colour (plus thought I had to keep in with the ruling class!)

veteran vet

« Reply #61 on: March 16, 2015, 10:42:16 AM »
The competition for the best plant in a <19cm pan must have been tough, I am not sure what plants went up for the award but the winner was
Fritillaria gibbosa (72) from Cyril Lafong....not the best picture I am afraid but will give you the idea of how good it was
I think that
Dionysia freitagii (58) shown by Derek Pickard must have given the Frit a good run for the award, might have been my choice
Cyril also had
Crocus 'Carpathian Wonder' on the bench, is for me a lovely, desirable plant but here it had to be content with a second place, beaten by a pristine Iris reticulata from John Richards (sorry no pic). Cyrils crocus had been on the bench since 6-45 in the morning and I think if he had left it in the cool car till not long before judging it would still have been in full freshness. Why was he there so early....because he was staying with Brian Burrow and Brian had to be there early to open up the show.
Fritillaria alburyana (72) from Geoff Rollinson, a second place against the F gibbosa

veteran vet

« Reply #62 on: March 16, 2015, 10:48:51 AM »
Last two pictures, both are Narcissus, quite a good showing on the bench but for me a shade too many hybrid type cultivars
Narcissus 'Jim Lad' (68) from Ivor Betteridge, he also had
Narcissus cantabricus in 73, a pristine example

I thought that this was a good show given the season we in the North are having though there were some surprising plants in full flower so the weather must have been warmer somewhere...good luck to them, hopefully the weather only improves gradually as there are still a lot of shows to come and you can only get so many plants into a car boot!

AlanO

« Reply #63 on: March 17, 2015, 07:24:52 PM »
Thanks to all for supporting the Kendal Show. Thanks especially for all those lovely photographs from Stan and the Vet - I've now seen more of the Show than I managed on Saturday!

Lots of positivity and warmth came south with you all, and it was much appreciated.

It was a cold season here too, so there were slightly fewer entries - but slightly more members of the public came through the door, which is a great result. Sorry that those numbers made the parking difficult for some folk: we had 140 cars on site which is pretty good compared to many venues, but we do have some ideas for helping those who find the place full, so we hope nobody will be put off trying next year!

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #64 on: March 17, 2015, 08:17:03 PM »
Hi Alan!  Everyone I've spoken to had a great time.

With 140 parking spaces you are more than lucky - and must have been VERY busy! At the old Aberdeen Show venue we had only  restricted street parking and we managed well enough with that for over 20 years there.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Darren

« Reply #65 on: March 18, 2015, 07:45:35 AM »
Welcome to the forum Alan!

As Susan and I arrived at 7:15 AM and were around afterwards to help pack up, we never really noticed the parking situation as the car park was empty when we saw it. But, as Maggi says, 140 spaces is generous. Some locals 'in the know' parked at the leisure centre 100 yards away too.

Personally I think that to get such a level of interest from the public is so important that it outweighs the very few disadvantages with the venue.

'Aisle blocking' by groups of people gossiping happens at every show I've been to - and every supermarket I've been to as well! And at least our visitors were not armed with shopping trolleys - that tends to be at Hexham ;D

As Alan says, it was lovely to catch up with people we haven't seen (in most cases) since the same show last year.

Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #66 on: March 18, 2015, 10:02:01 PM »
Sandy Leven's Kendal Forrest medal  report is online  now   8)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #67 on: March 29, 2015, 08:30:51 PM »
And now  Sandy's Kendal report is online too : http://files.srgc.net/Showreports/Kendal-2015.pdf

Thank you, Sandy!  8)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal