We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cypripedium-2015  (Read 26744 times)

Steve Garvie

• Rainbirder's photostream
Re: Cypripedium-2015
« Reply #180 on: June 05, 2015, 11:38:07 PM »
Cypripedium farreri -a pot grown plant. Last year it increased in size and is now big enough to flower.
WILDLIFE PHOTOSTREAM: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rainbirder/

Steve
West Fife, Scotland.

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #181 on: June 06, 2015, 08:25:39 AM »
Stunning picture Steve what a flower, I post another hybrid Cyp fasciolatum x has been blown about by the wind, cheers Ian the Christie kind
Ian ...the Christie kind...
from Kirriemuir

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #182 on: June 06, 2015, 01:12:22 PM »
Hello I thought that I should show some pictures of where my Cypripediums grow first is a Peat block crevice bed made just over 2 years ago thought it might be a bit wet but everything is growing well some not out yet the other area is a long bed under tall conifers that is much drier but again all are growing well,  a few are in the Azalea and Rhode beds cheers Ian the Christie kind.
Ian ...the Christie kind...
from Kirriemuir

angie

« Reply #183 on: June 08, 2015, 09:51:46 PM »
Ian looking good. Garden looks lovely. There is no chance of anyone running away with that big pot full of Cypripediums  ;D

Angie  :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #184 on: July 06, 2015, 04:03:45 PM »
several weeks ago a small first generation bumble bee was working my Cyps. It would go in the lip and work its way out the back of the sexy bits  :) and I assume it carried some pollinia for flowers. I know have seed pods forming. Will I just leave them and when ripe sprinkle the contents in my Hosta pots where Dacts seem to like germinating?
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

SteveC2

« Reply #185 on: July 06, 2015, 05:46:53 PM »
You can try it Mark.  You have nothing to lose, but don't hold your breathe ;D

hud357

« Reply #186 on: July 06, 2015, 10:28:52 PM »
You can try it Mark.  You have nothing to lose, but don't hold your breathe ;D

Is it worth trying in a more 'scientific' environment? http://www.lidaforsgarden.com/Orchids/engelsk.htm

Personally I would be more than happy to keep a mature plant alive but these guys seem to be growing various Orchids like weeds.

SteveC2

« Reply #187 on: July 07, 2015, 09:00:34 AM »
Svante Malmgren, whose website you refer to, is one of the pioneers of growing hardy orchids from seed in controlled conditions.  Many of the plants available legally are as a result of his work.  At the European Orchid Show in London this year I was dead chuffed when he asked me for seed from one of my plants because that means that in few years I might get some free plants back.

Every year the Hardy Orchid Society run a seed raising course for members and more and more people are now growing these plants in vitro, but let's not kid ourselves, it takes an investment in time, money, space etc and not everyone wishes to go down that route, particularly for a seed pod of unknown parentage like Mark's.  That's why I suggested giving the chuck it and chance method a go. ;D

Neil

• Hardy Orchid Grower
    • The Hardy Orchid Society
« Reply #188 on: July 07, 2015, 09:50:45 PM »
Every year the Hardy Orchid Society run a seed raising course for members and more and more people are now growing these plants in vitro, but let's not kid ourselves, it takes an investment in time, money, space etc and not everyone wishes to go down that route, particularly for a seed pod of unknown parentage like Mark's.  That's why I suggested giving the chuck it and chance method a go. ;D

And its very worthwhile doing it. 
Interested in Hardy Orchids then join The Hardy Orchid Society
Wanted Hardy Orchid Seed please pm me if you have some that you can spare
Sussex, England, UK Zone 9a

hud357

« Reply #189 on: October 03, 2015, 02:03:19 PM »
My one and only Cyp. is going over now (I take it that this is normal for the (UK) time of year?)

I took the opportunity to delve around in the pot and quickly found at least five 'noses'. Didn't dig very deep so there could be more. Couldn't be happier - started with two.

So many thanks to those who offered such good advice earlier in the year.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #190 on: October 05, 2015, 05:21:10 PM »
My one and only Cyp. is going over now (I take it that this is normal for the (UK) time of year?)

I took the opportunity to delve around in the pot and quickly found at least five 'noses'. Didn't dig very deep so there could be more. Couldn't be happier - started with two.

So many thanks to those who offered such good advice earlier in the year.

Yes , hud357 - that's exactly what the cyps being sold at the SRGC  discussion weekend were  doing. And good news about the bunch of new noses in place, too!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #191 on: October 19, 2015, 02:17:24 PM »
From a Facebook post by  Michael Weinert:

"Dear garden orchid lovers,

I would like to inform you that now is the right time for planting hardy lady's slipper orchids for the garden and for dividing bigger clumps.

For both topics I have prepared informative video instructions:
www.cypripedium.de/English/videos-e/plantingvideos-e.html

On my website you will find additional information and beautiful photos.

Happy gardening!
Michael Weinert, Frosch® Exclusive Perennials  "
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Tristan_He

« Reply #192 on: October 20, 2015, 08:07:13 AM »
Hello I thought that I should show some pictures of where my Cypripediums grow first is a Peat block crevice bed made just over 2 years ago thought it might be a bit wet but everything is growing well some not out yet the other area is a long bed under tall conifers that is much drier but again all are growing well,  a few are in the Azalea and Rhode beds cheers Ian the Christie kind.

Ian, love the Cyps outdoors. Do you modify the soil at all, and do you give protection from wind and slugs?

Best, Tristan

hud357

« Reply #193 on: December 25, 2015, 10:26:59 AM »
Well I got a new Cyp a couple of days ago and while potting it up I took the opportunity to re-pot my original Cyp. Seven 'noses'  :o

It had two at this time last year so a big thank you to all who offered advice over the season. It was obviously good advice.

Merry Xmas to all.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal