We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: 2015 - Robert's adventures in the Northern Sierra Nevada - California  (Read 65059 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: 2015 - Robert's adventures in the Northern Sierra Nevada - California
« Reply #585 on: August 18, 2015, 03:43:43 PM »
Here in the North East of Scotland, we have had only a handful of days this year when the temperature has risen to the 20s - today, again, it is pouring rain and the temperature is 11 degrees C
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #586 on: August 18, 2015, 06:42:38 PM »
Robert, is the railway track still in use please?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Yann

• Journal Access Group
  • Growing and collecting plants since i was young
« Reply #587 on: August 18, 2015, 10:47:10 PM »
Robert it's been a while since I did not take a look at your diaries, what a bad idea.
Aster integrifolium is new to me and i can't find any articles about this beautiful specie.

Any website as reference?
North of France

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #588 on: August 19, 2015, 01:34:47 AM »
Here in the North East of Scotland, we have had only a handful of days this year when the temperature has risen to the 20s - today, again, it is pouring rain and the temperature is 11 degrees C

Maggi,

Wow! How different. Perhaps it might seem strange, but I like all the different climatic conditions. For me it is very  8)  ! I do the best I can to take advantage of the opportunities our hot dry climate offers. Eriogonums, to name just one Genus, thrive here and there are so many others, even some Erythroniums. There is never a dull moment in our garden; sometimes it is too hot, or too rainy, too cold, or neglected. Then there are all the beautiful species that you and Ian grow in your fantastic garden. I like how everyone has there own creative garden. With a curious mind there is no end! How wonderful!   8)   8)   8)
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #589 on: August 19, 2015, 01:49:16 AM »
Robert, is the railway track still in use please?

David,

The railway tracks were used to transport cut lumber from the mill in Camino (a small mill town up the mountain from the farm) to the main rail lines in the Sacramento Valley. The last lumber train ran the line about 30 years ago. Now on weekend there is a small tourist train ride that is enjoyed by mostly out of towners and folks that like an old fashion railroad experience.

Sadly, the main risk are the homeless camps along the rail line. One time I was harassed by someone that was mentally ill. It was a very dangerous situation. I could have confronted the man, however it seemed more appropriate to retreat and get back to the farm by a different route. Fortunately some places are safe and there are some interesting plants to see too.
Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #590 on: August 19, 2015, 02:14:46 AM »
Robert it's been a while since I did not take a look at your diaries, what a bad idea.
Aster integrifolium is new to me and i can't find any articles about this beautiful specie.

Any website as reference?

Yann,

Aster integrifolium is now know as Eurybia integrifolium. I am doing the best I can to use updated names as well as referencing the older names. There is much to do! I know that it can be confusing and frustrating. Some of the recent name changes are based on somewhat recent DNA studies. In the case of "Asters" it seems reasonable to make the changes. For me in the field, I see composite flowers that look like an "Aster", however the rest of the plant morphology of our California native "Asters" in each of the new Genus is very different. I have to agree on the name changes based on what I see, even though I am reluctant to give up the name "Aster".

I hope that this helps you out. Using a search using Eurybia integrfolium will most likely give you results. Unfortunately, this species is seldom used in gardens (maybe I need to write an article about our California native "Asters", ....someday). What a shame! If I understand correctly, you live in the north part of France. My guess is that this species would most likely thrive and be very easily grown in your area. Seed is ripe after the cut off date for the seed exchange, but it does germinate easily. PM me if you want to try growing it from seed and I will see if I can help you out.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #591 on: August 19, 2015, 09:18:30 PM »
Robert,

Thank you for another exciting outing in your lovely country :)

Interesting what you wrote about permits also - we have nothing like it here. Very rarely a person has to pay for being rescued but only if he has done something stupid and should have known better. More people than before have to be rescued here also. They see something on TV and think it look easy. So youg ladies in high heel shoes try to climb mountains or cross a glacier (young men aren't better).

The meadows at Van Vleck, will they ultimately be covered by trees? It is what happens here when the grazing animals are removed.

Sidebells is common here also, especially at the mountain cabin. Canadian goldenrod is black listed. It has spread considerably especially in the eastern part of the country. It doesn't look quite like your plant though. But I should wish we had more of the aster-like species here! Pearly everlasting has spread both from my and my neighbour's garden out along the sideroad here.

The enigmatic marsh, is it deep or shallow? Can you walk across it or is the surface too soft?

(I have more comments but have to finish now)
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Robert

« Reply #592 on: August 20, 2015, 04:17:30 AM »
Trond,

It is difficult for me to come up with an outcome for the meadows at Van Vleck Cow Camp. I have been observing these meadows for all of my adult life and there have not been any major changes. It is something that would be interesting for me to study much more closely. On the fringes of the meadow there are very old weathered stumps where the forest had been cleared away in the distant past. I remember the same stumps from 40 years ago and they have not changed much.

The center of the meadows is very marsh-like. I do not think that it would support trees (too wet). There are hummocks in these marshy areas where various willows (Salix) grow. 20 years ago or so, I studied the various species that grow on the hummocks. Sadly all of my pre - year 2000 notes were destroyed (not by me, too long of a story). A good reason for me to reexamine this feature.

I had another outstanding outing on Tuesday and will be reporting soon. I returned to Red Lake Peak, this time exploring the summit (10,000 feet 3,048 meters) and the ridge line approaching the summit. I could spend everyday for years in this region and only scratch the surface of its mysteries.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #593 on: August 20, 2015, 02:38:05 PM »
Robert,

Very rarely a person has to pay for being rescued but only if he has done something stupid and should have known better.

The enigmatic marsh, is it deep or shallow? Can you walk across it or is the surface too soft?

Trond,

It was late in the evening and I needed to sleep. So now it is A.M. and I can continue on.......

Here in the U.S.A. nobody has to pay to get rescued. Sadly, the cost to the government is skyrocketing.

As for the enigmatic marsh, it is too deep to walk across. The central part might be better described as a very shallow lake, maybe 2 meters deep, 3 meters at the very most. Most of the marsh is less than 1 meter deep. It would be fun to explore the marsh much more, however other areas have my attention right now.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #594 on: August 22, 2015, 12:51:18 AM »
RED LAKE PEAK

Wednesday, 18 August 2015

Weather: High Clouds

Temperature, High: 98 F (36.5 C),  Low: 63 F (17 C)

Wednesday was a follow up visit to the Red Lake Peak area. Last year I had explored the southern and eastern slope of Red Lake Peak. Earlier this summer I explored the western slope. This trip I explored the northern slope, as well as the east-west oriented summit ridge and the summit itself.

The photograph is from near the summit, with Lake Tahoe appearing in the distance through the haze of forest fire smoke.

The starting point of this adventure was at 8,596 feet (2,620 meters). For a short distance I followed an established trail, but shortly left the trail to move directly up the mountain.

There was still a number of plants in flower such as the late blooming Eriogonum wrightii var. subscaposum (pictured). This species is widespread in our area, however the finest forms I have found come from this area. They are very tight and compact and bloom profusely. This photograph does not do them justice as they are indeed very attractive with their silvery foliage and wiry stems of creamy-white flowers.

Other Eriogonums blooming nearby were E. umbellatum var. polyanthum, and E. nudum var. deductum. E. umbellatum var. polyanthum had already finished blooming but the flowering heads were still an attractive burnt yellow. The E. nudum var. deductum were still blooming. Variety deductum is a first rate garden plant for me staying compact and blooming for at least 6 months each season. In addition, it is a xeric species. For our area this is a great combination of characteristics!

I continued to move directly up the slope through stands of ancient Sierra Juniper, Junperus occidentalis. They are such awesome trees with their massive trunks, looking like giant bonsai or Japanese niwaki.

On the early summer outing I had come across this Erigeron species. Many were still in bloom this day suggesting that it could be E. breweri, an Erigeron species known for its prolonged blooming season. Many of the characteristic of this plant matched those of E. breweri so for right now I will go with this.

As autumn approaches, the fruit of many species start to color up. The berries of Ribes cereum are very attractive, both to sight and the birds. The upper foliage of this species is most often noticeably a glossy green, however at this time of year these had lost most of their sheen.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 03:21:45 AM by Robert »
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #595 on: August 22, 2015, 01:23:11 AM »

Soon I moved above the timberline. Sedum lanceolatum is seen frequently in this zone. As the night time temperatures cool in the autumn its foliage turns reddish tones. This is a very nice contrast to neighboring plants such as the silvery, mat forming Artemisia arbuscula, and Pestemon speciosus to name a few.

Copeland's Owl's Clover, Orthocarpus cuspidatus var. cryptanthus is welcome this time of year with its purplish-pink flowers heads. Orthocarpus is closely related to Castilleja, however with Orthocarpus the upper and lower corolla lips completely enclose the inner flower parts.

Artemisia arbuscula is abundant in this zone and is the preferred host of Castilleja pilosa (pictured). This species is easily identified by the white margin to its rounded corolla lobes.

On this outing I found many Orobanche. This species is 100% parasitic and I have never seen them in such quantity. Very fascinating! Most of the plants were beat-up, however some appeared to be O. fasciculata a species I have seen in this area.

Near the 9,000 foot (2,896 meters) elevation I found a lone plant of Mimulus torreyi in perfect condition. This annual species grows abundantly in our area, however most have set seed and dried up by now.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 03:25:24 AM by Robert »
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #596 on: August 22, 2015, 01:47:40 AM »

Above 9,000 feet (2,896 meters) Eriogonum ovalifolium var. nivale starts to appear. Its cream colored flowers start to take on pink and red shades as the flowers "fade".

This time of year most of the Asteraceae have finished blooming, their parachute-like pappus taking their seed to far way sites. Here and there I did find a few "off season" flowers such as on this Chaenactis douglasii.

And this Erigeron compositus. I find the ray flowered as well as the unrayed, discoid forms in this area.

Ipomopsis tenuituba is a monocarpic species with pinkish, orange-red flowers. It is closely related to scarlet-orange flowering, Ipomopsis aggregata which also grows on this mountain. The two species are easily identified from each other by the differences in their flower color and the strongly exserted stamens and style of I. aggregata.

In addition, Ipomopsis tenuituba is more often much more compact in its growth habit.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 02:10:00 AM by Robert »
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #597 on: August 22, 2015, 02:08:30 AM »

Here and there, there were still a few Lupinus lepidus var. lobbii in bloom.

I like this species, especially with its silvery, woolly foliage. I have found all forms of Lupinus lepidus difficult to cultivate. I had one specimen growing well at the farm, hoping I could bring it into bloom next year. I gave up this summer and I will have to start over. The good news is that I have been able to bring other forms of Lupinus lepidus to bloom.

Rabbitbrush, Ericameria nauseosa, is an extremely common species on the east side of the Sierra Nevada, as well as out into the Great Basin.

I like it for its silvery gray foliage and bright yellow, late season flowers. Some may think that I have an addled mind, but this is a species I would like to include in our garden.

After a strenuous and steep hike I finally arrived at the east-west summit ridge. Here on the lee side of the ridge were stands of White Bark Pine, Pinus albicaulis.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #598 on: August 22, 2015, 02:35:31 AM »

In a sheltered site I found one upright specimen of White Bark Pine. More often they are seen in a wind swept, twisted form known as "krummhol". This time of year the resiny, brownish-purple cones are pecked to pieces by Clark's Nutcrackers looking for the large pinenuts inside.

In my mind Pinus albicaulis is one of our most attractive native pine species. It is a five-needled pine. This species is said to be sensitive to climate change. My understand is that those growing at lower elevations are starting to die off, however I have not observed this. I have grown other high elevation pine species down at the farm and at our bungalow in the Sacramento Valley. They have done well, as one is still growing well at our bungalow.

In among the White Bark Pines were stands of Angelica breweri. It was a surprise to find this species in this location. Generally they are found at lower elvations.

From the summit ridge there were good views of the valley on the northwest side of Red Lake Peak. More area and habitats to explore in the future!

Off in the distance one can see the southern peaks of the Crystal Range.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

ArnoldT

« Reply #599 on: August 22, 2015, 02:49:45 AM »
Robert:

Thanks so much for the wonderful tour.  I've been to the West Coast many times but never had the opportunity to see this area.  I'm sitting 3 miles from Times Square and this is quite a different landscape.
Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal