We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: 2015 - Robert's adventures in the Northern Sierra Nevada - California  (Read 65010 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: 2015 - Robert's adventures in the Northern Sierra Nevada - California
« Reply #570 on: August 14, 2015, 04:58:52 PM »
Robert, we will await your report patiently but with great anticipation!  :)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #571 on: August 14, 2015, 08:57:30 PM »

I had an excellent outing yesterday. Unfortunately it may be early next week when I get my report posted.

This is a large marsh-like lake near the Van Vleck trailhead (yesterday's outing). It is something of an enigma and will explain this in my report.

The Monitor Pass area on the east side of the Sierras. This photograph is from many years ago and late spring (there is snow on the peaks still). I hope to travel to this area in a few weeks and report on some of the interesting east side flora.

Robert,

I am looking forward to your new "adventures" ;)

Ad picture 1 - do you need a permit to walk in the wilderness? Does this apply to every "wild" place you go?

Ad picture 2 - does the the yerba mansa grow there?

Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #572 on: August 15, 2015, 01:51:32 AM »
Robert,

I am looking forward to your new "adventures" ;)

Ad picture 1 - do you need a permit to walk in the wilderness? Does this apply to every "wild" place you go?

Ad picture 2 - does the the yerba mansa grow there?

Trond,

Yes, one needs a permit to walk in the "wilderness". This only applies to areas that have been designated as "wilderness". No permit is needed in other wild areas. There are always do-it-yourself permits available at the trailhead so it is easy. Too many get themselves into trouble every year, so the permit helps with the rescue (where to look). Another type of permit is required for staying overnight in the "wilderness". This too is a good idea as the alpine environment is very fragile. The number of visitors and where they stay needs to regulated to help preserve the wilderness environment.

Most of the citizens of California are urban and have no or very little experience with nature.  They read books, see movies, or who knows, and think that this is something they want to experience. Unfortunately, they are not prepared and easily get themselves into some sort of trouble requiring rescue. At this point it is getting overwhelming for the government to rescue such a large number every year. Even so called "experienced" hikers do things that do not seem very sensible and need to be rescued (they even made the TV news a few weeks ago! How does one get stranded on a cliff face with a bathing suit on?  Huh?  ???  There was no swimming nearby!). I mentioned the rescue that my wife and I were part of earlier this season. The injured hiker was sadly, grossly over weight and not physically fit. His two companions had no experience and had no idea what to do, thus a rescue, one of many that will occur this season.

As for Yerba Mansa, Anemopsis californica, I have never seen it in our part of California. It is such a widespread species here in the Western U.S.A. I think that it must grow nearby. I will keep an eye out for it.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #573 on: August 17, 2015, 03:38:55 AM »
VAN VLECK

Thursday, 13 August 2015

Weather: Clear
Temperature, High:92 F (33 C),  Low: 54 F (12 C)

I started this outing at Van Vleck Cow Camp, 6,504 feet (1,982 meters). The area consists of a series of meadows. 40 plus years ago, when I was a teenager, there was a working cow camp here, where cattle were brought for summer pasture. Over time the U.S. Forest Service phased out this land use practice in this area and now the flora in the meadows as had 25, plus or minus, years to recover.

Very close to the trailhead I found a nice patch of Sidebells, Orhilla secunda. This Ericaceae forms a slow spreading ground cover in shady locations.

This time of year Canadian Goldenrod, Solidago canadensis var. elongata is seen everywhere in forest openings at this elevation.

It may be a very common species however it makes an easy garden plant in our area. For us it is not weedy and provides much needed late summer flower color.

Here in the mountains it combines with other wildflowers such as Western Mountain Aster, Symphyotrichum spathulatum (Aster occidentalis).

« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 05:16:36 AM by Robert »
Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #574 on: August 17, 2015, 03:53:17 AM »

This time of year there are many species of "Aster" in bloom. Western Mountain Aster, Symphyotrichum spathulatum, is the most common, forming wide patches even in these drought years.

This species has worked out well in our garden. With some irrigation it will bloom well. With less irrigation it survives to bloom well later in the season if a little more irrigation can be provided.

Near one of the feeder streams to Tells Creek I found a blooming plant of Stachys rigida. This feeder stream has always dried up in the late summer even in good precipitation years. Despite the drought conditions the stream bed was still moist.

This time of year, another "Aster" frequently seen is Ragged Aster, Eurybia integrifolium (Aster integrifolium).

I like the "ragged" flowers of this species and it is an extremely durable species in the garden surviving both heat and drought.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #575 on: August 17, 2015, 04:12:41 AM »

For a considerable distance the trail is flanked by moist seepage. Having observed this area for decades it was clear that the drought was having a drying effect and the flora in many locations was suffering.

Where there was moisture remaining common species such as Lupinus polyphyllus were still throwing a few flowers.

The same with the ever common Castilleja miniata. Unfortunately many species were suffering from the drought conditions such as Lilium parvum, Mimulus moschata, Mimulus primuloides, Glyceria to name a few. The good news is that they will survive the drought to thrive when the snows return.

Pearly Everlasting, Anaphalis margaritacea, is another of our late bloomers and seems to be common around the Northern Pacific Rim. I have never grown it in the garden, however it seems somewhat drought tolerant and is maybe worth a try.

Anderson's Thistle, Cirsium andersonii is our most common Cirsium species. I find it somewhat frequently from the lower elevations up into the high elevations of the Sierra Nevada.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 05:18:39 AM by Robert »
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #576 on: August 17, 2015, 04:34:27 AM »

As I worked myself along the trail there were a few "Lotus" species in bloom. The pink and cream, Acmispon purshianus (Lotus purshianus) is found in dry location.

Picture is Hosackia oblongifolia (Lotus oblongifolia).

Hosackia oblongifolia is generally found where there is more moisture. Near streams it can get fairly large and is very attractive with its bright yellow and white pea-like flowers.

Finally I arrived at the upper end of the lower meadows. Conditions were a mixture of extreme dry to still abundant moisture. There were many wildflowers still in bloom among the drying grasses. Common species such as Lupinus polyphyllus, Castilleja miniata, Mimulus primuloides, Eurybia integrifolium, and Symphyotrichum spathulatum were still in bloom.

I spent a fair amount of time in this area keying out more obscure species such as Galium trifidum.

In some area the meadows dry very early in the season. Many bulbs and annual species thrive in these location. Dried seed heads of Allium campanulatum roll through the area dispersing their seed. Of coarse most of the plants are finished or dormant except for species such as Calyptridium umbellatum, Eurybia intregrifolium, and varoius Poaceae.

It was good to see Tells Creek still flowing. There were plenty of trout, more than I have seen in years. What a surprise!
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #577 on: August 17, 2015, 04:57:44 AM »

The trail eventually leaves the meadows and crosses Tells Creek. This sections was dry, however this was not alarming as this section has always been dry at this time of year. With average to above average snow melt this ford can be a raging torrent early in the season. There have been times I have crossed this ford where the water has been chest high. Seems hard to believe with this photograph.

Despite the dry crossing there is still moisture just below the surface of the ground. Here grew a healthy Salix exigua. It has a lower elevation cousin, Salix exigua var. hindsiana that has very attractive silvery foliage.

Once on the other side the terrain turns very dry. In the middle of the trail there was one blooming plant of Mimulus torreyi. This species often forms huge sheets of color in the drier flats earlier in the season.

Eriogonum marifloium is a common Buckwheat species in this area.

Eriogonium incanum is generally found at higher elevations. Here the two species grew together side-by-side. The two species can and do hybridize with each other, however in this area I did not see one plant that looked to be a hybrid. In my mind, Eriogonum incanum has a much nicer flower (both the male and female plants). There may have been indications of hybridization in the flowers, however there were not enough to make any judgement.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #578 on: August 17, 2015, 05:14:11 AM »

Finally after some distance I arrived at the high meadows, 6,806 feet (2,074 meters). These are somewhat remote and may not have been grazed for over 100 years or more. In the spring they are usually flooded with snow melt. Later in the season there are spectacular displays of wildflowers. I easily found hundreds of dried seed heads of Camassia quamash. I have seen them blooming and it is quite the sight.

By the time I arrived there was little time to explore and there is much to see in these meadows. The orchid, Platanthera dilatata var. leaucostachys were still in bloom as well as mats of Potentilla drummondii var. breweri.

Two species of Yampah, Perideridia parshii and P. lemmonii were blooming with the usual "Aster", Symphyotrichum spathulatum.

It was time to turn back, but an excellent day, well over 100 species seen! Maybe not too many photographs  :(  but it all turned out fine.  :)

The last image is of the marsh on the drive in to the trailhead. I have seen this marsh for the last 50 year. It always has had this line running its length. The water level has never changed either, drought or flood. For me somewhat of an enigma.

Until next time!  :)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 05:25:59 AM by Robert »
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #579 on: August 18, 2015, 02:39:16 AM »
LOCAL WILLOWS

It was 105 F (40.5 C) today. In the heat of the afternoon I walked the railroad tracks to Slate Creek to poke around a bit and see what I might find.

Slate Creek is generally dry this time of year, however there is some subterranean moisture, thus various Salix species.

Salix exigua var. hindsiana is an attractive woolly, gray species.

Some S. exigua var. hindsiana were looking good, however many of our willows are very stressed this year as the subterranean water is depleted from the on going drought.

Salix gooddongii with it distinctive leaf shape.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #580 on: August 18, 2015, 03:11:14 AM »

Salix lasiandra, Pacific Willow, is a very common species in our area.

This species generally has distinctive rounded leaf buds.

Salix laevigata, Polished Willow, is another commonly seen species in our area and can be confused with S. lasiandra. It generally has a pointed leaf buds with a reddish scale on the outside. The leaves of both species are abaxially gray and adaxially shiny green, however the leaves of S. laevigata are especially waxy and glossy. There are other distinguishing features, however these are the easiest to observe.

Of coarse there are other interesting things to see such as this butterfly.

And the dry seed pods of Calochortus albus.

All day there were plumes of smoke from local wild fires. While walking back to the farm the sirens could be heard and the borate planes started flying right over my head. There was a plume of smoke maybe 1 km or less from the farm. Time to race back! Fortunately the wind was blowing the flames away from the farm and the fire crews had the situation under control in about 1/2 hour. Very nervous!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 03:14:02 AM by Robert »
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #581 on: August 18, 2015, 11:13:21 AM »
Astonishing  ( to me) range of willows.  Mind you, I am still reeling from the marsh you showed - hard to imagine  how on earth that can stay wet in your drought.
So much that we don't know about!

Robert

« Reply #582 on: August 18, 2015, 02:31:27 PM »
Astonishing  ( to me) range of willows.  Mind you, I am still reeling from the marsh you showed - hard to imagine  how on earth that can stay wet in your drought.
So much that we don't know about!

Maggi,

The astonishing thing for me is at in 50 years I have never seen the water level in the marsh change at all! Nor have I seen the
"stripe" down the middle change either! It seem like something would change.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #583 on: August 18, 2015, 02:42:20 PM »
These natural mysteries are completely  fascinating, are they not?

Robert

« Reply #584 on: August 18, 2015, 02:51:19 PM »
These natural mysteries are completely  fascinating, are they not?

They certain are!  8)

I will be off today to the high country. Hopefully I will see something of interest, the blooming season is over for most species. Regardless, I will report on this soon enough.

Hopefully it will not be too hot. I think the forecast is for something like 38 -39 C. We only have about a month left where we can have this type of heat. So far the summer has not been too hot.  :)
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal