We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: 2015 - Robert's adventures in the Northern Sierra Nevada - California  (Read 64932 times)

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
Re: 2015 - Robert's adventures in the Northern Sierra Nevada - California
« Reply #555 on: August 01, 2015, 06:29:17 AM »
Gabriel,

No, I have never seen the book, however I was delighted by the drawing of Pinus sabiniana. If I walked outside now, a few feet from the front door is a large California Gray Pine, Pinus sabiniana. Their scent on warm summer days and evenings is heavenly. The wind speaks through their long graceful needles.

I have indeed been blessed to live my whole 60 years in this part of California. I never want to leave! I am still in rapture from its wild beauty. As a young boy we camped in Yosemite, Sequoia, and Kings Canyon Parks, long before there were crowds. As a teenager and young adult I wandered the mountains, much like John Muir, from Mount Shasta in the north to Mount Darwin and beyond in the south. Shepherd's Pass and the upper reaches of the King's River are awesome.

Closer to home, maybe I can reach Monitor Pass this season. Wonderful plants and spectacular scenery that I think the other forumist would enjoy too.

Great to here from you and I appreciate your comments. It is late and the coyotes are howling. Off to dream time.

Once again, thank you for sharing the information concerning the book. I will look for it at our public library.  :)
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #556 on: August 01, 2015, 07:03:57 AM »
Back again after two days without Internet.

Beautiful landscape and vegetation, Robert :)

The diversity of trees is amazing. Here you find the same species everywhere albeit in variable sizes and habits.

I particularly like the stem of Pinus monticola! Looks like lizard's skin ;D

Also the leaves of the wintergreen is very nice.
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Robert

« Reply #557 on: August 01, 2015, 02:51:32 PM »
Trond,

I did try to get a photograph of a large Western White Pine, Pinus monticola. It did not turn out. I will try again.

Our ancient Sugar Pines, Pinus lambertiana are amazing trees. There are still trees that are hundreds of years old with broken and twisted tops. They look prehistoric. The trunks are massive supporting trees that are hundreds of feet tall! I do know where such trees grow and hopeful I can photograph them too.
Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Hoy

« Reply #558 on: August 02, 2015, 07:42:29 AM »
Robert, I would love to see some of your really old trees! Although the flowering plants have more color it is something with trees. I feel it in my heart when I have to cut down healthy old (that is a relative term though!) trees in my garden or elsewhere.

I am also a bit jealous ;) Although the bedrock seems to consist of nutrient poor granite it is a plethora of plants. Here we encounter the same plants almost everywhere.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #559 on: August 02, 2015, 01:11:37 PM »
We are seeing horrible footage of  fires burning in California, Robert - very frightening to see.  Hope you are all safe.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Robert

« Reply #560 on: August 02, 2015, 02:29:52 PM »
Trond,

There are approximately 2,000 species of native plants, just in El Dorado County. Maybe I will have time to check on the flora east of the Sierra Crest this season. Here the mix of plants changes once again with each life zone having its own flora. This certainly make things interesting, as there is still the possibility that someone could discover a new species.

The ancient Sugar Pines remind me of Ents. I do want to photograph them.....before they walk off.  ;D
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #561 on: August 02, 2015, 02:46:32 PM »
We are seeing horrible footage of  fires burning in California, Robert - very frightening to see.  Hope you are all safe.

Maggi,

The fire season has turned ugly. There is much smoke in the air, but fortunately there is only one fire near us and they now have it under control and, more or less, out.

Sadly, some have lost their homes and more (pets, livestock, gardens, etc.). Having one of these fires close at hand is terrifying. The noise and heat is intense. The smoke can turn daylight into darkness. Trees can explode into flames!

The weather has cooled from the 40 C plus temperatures a few days ago to about 30 - 32 C ( cool summer weather for us   ???  ). This is helping the fire fighters. I certainly hope they get the fires out soon. We are hearing the sirens of the fire trucks too often lately.  :'(
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
« Reply #562 on: August 02, 2015, 04:26:02 PM »
Another great trek from the comfort of my chair Robert, I am not sure how I would cope in that heat- even what you call cool would be a heat wave for us.
Today sun has been out and it was nice and warm for us at around 17C  but the cloud has now moved in from the south west.

Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

Robert

« Reply #563 on: August 03, 2015, 02:17:35 AM »
Another great trek from the comfort of my chair Robert, I am not sure how I would cope in that heat- even what you call cool would be a heat wave for us.
Today sun has been out and it was nice and warm for us at around 17C  but the cloud has now moved in from the south west.

Ian,

I think that I would feel frozen with a summertime high temperature of 17C!   ;D  For us, during extremely hot weather the low temperature is often above 17C !

Realistically, I think that our bodies can adjust - kinda' like the climbers making the adjustments so they a make it to the summit of Everest. Every summer I need to get adjusted to the 38C temperatures. When they come quickly, for me, it is not much fun. 40C and above is never pleasant, except when swimming in the creek! :P

I think that if you ever found yourself in this part of the world your visit could be made pleasant - even if it was hot. Ishi (a California Native of the Yahi tribe , circa 1900 - he was the last one.......maybe) was an excellent guide when he lead the anthropologists into the Deer Creek, Mill Creek country of Northern California (his home). On this trip nobody was hurt, or caught Poison Oak, of which there is plenty. To this day, this area is still a rouged wilderness. Fantastic plants too.

Anyway, thank you for your comments. I certainly learn much and enjoy this forum! We can benefit from everyone's photographs and comments and benefit from our own contributions too. Thank you for yours.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Hoy

« Reply #564 on: August 03, 2015, 08:17:33 AM »
I have visited Nicosia, Cyprus, in 42C and I can cope with it but I prefer somewhat cooler temps ;)

At our mountain cabin 17C is very nice (although it can exceed 20 sometimes) but here at our summerhouse at the coast we expect 20+. Today seems to be about 17, a bit too low ;D

Robert,

keep up walking and telling us about your homeland :) Like Ian I enjoy sitting in my chair and follow your steps! I miss the smell of the places though. . .

It is much to learn as you say ;)

Robert

« Reply #565 on: August 03, 2015, 03:06:07 PM »
Trond,

Yes, I am very much keyed into the scents as I hike. It has always been that way for me. I think that I could recognize some locations by nothing more than the scent. If one was here, it is something that they would not forget.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #566 on: August 12, 2015, 03:56:06 PM »
I had some time the other day to drive into the mountains.

There are many meadows near the headwaters of Tells Creek. Sadly, it has been 10 years since I was last in this area. It was very good to return and scout out the area. I found 60 species of plants in just 1/2 hour. Then I had to go.  :'(

Here are a few.

Calyptridium umbellatum. This species is extremely common throughout out the Sierra Nevada, however it is always nice to see them blooming. Here they were growing together with Eriogonum marifolium, Anaphalis margaritacea, Arctostaphylos nevadensis, and others.

Helenium bigelovii was still in bloom despite the dry conditions.

A pleasant surprise was Arnica chamissonis ssp. foliosa. This species is easily identified with a hand lens. The pappus are a buff-white color, there are tufts of hair at the tips of the phyllaries, and they have hairy stems and foliage.

I did see many other plants, however there was very little time to take photographs. I hope that I can return soon. I am very familiar with this area and there is much to see.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Hoy

« Reply #567 on: August 12, 2015, 09:32:33 PM »
Robert,

you show so many interesting plants :)  - and places too!

Robert

« Reply #568 on: August 13, 2015, 12:26:29 AM »
Trond,

If everything goes right I will be able to return to the Tells Creek, Red Peak Trail area tomorrow - and have all day.  :o Yes, I will be shocked if this works out, but it is very exciting for me. I already have a good idea what is up there -  lots!

Today, I set up my back country tent. I need 2 to 3 days, minimum, in the back country to do a general plant survey of this area. Maybe I will be able to do this next year. In the past I would hike and camp in this area 5-6 times every year.

Well, we shall see.....
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #569 on: August 14, 2015, 03:58:51 PM »

I had an excellent outing yesterday. Unfortunately it may be early next week when I get my report posted.

This is a large marsh-like lake near the Van Vleck trailhead (yesterday's outing). It is something of an enigma and will explain this in my report.

The Monitor Pass area on the east side of the Sierras. This photograph is from many years ago and late spring (there is snow on the peaks still). I hope to travel to this area in a few weeks and report on some of the interesting east side flora.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal