We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: 2015 - Robert's adventures in the Northern Sierra Nevada - California  (Read 65015 times)

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
Re: 2015 - Robert's adventures in the Northern Sierra Nevada - California
« Reply #525 on: July 20, 2015, 10:56:54 PM »

Near the springs were huge stands of Veratrum californica.

As well as impenetrable 2 meter tall stands of Cow Parsnip, Heracleum lanatum.

Towering above the Heracleum were lush clumps of Delphinium glaucum, forming massive stately stems over 2 meters high.

This is a most attractive species with long flowering stems up to 6 dm or more long.

The flowers are a rich royal blue-purple.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #526 on: July 20, 2015, 11:23:18 PM »

Near the largest spring grows a Sierra Willow, Salix orestera. This area was a massive jungle-like tangle of 2 meter plus tall leaves and stems of various species. I pushed through the tangle of greenery and watery muck to have a look.

As I neared the willow, tall stems of the bright pink Swamp Onion, Allium validum appeared, among the graceful open flowering spikes of Tall Mannagrass , Glyceria eleta. Mannagrass is rightly named as it produces a tasty cereal grain.

Surrounding the spring were immense clumps of the Monkshood, Acotinum columbianum.

At their base growing in the muck were clumps of the beautiful Sierra Bog Orchid, Platanthera dilatata var. leucostachys. At this site they grew to 7 dm tall, with 4 dm flowering spikes.

Here and there, as there was space, were a few Epilobium ciliatum growing through the luxuriant foliage of other species.

Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #527 on: July 20, 2015, 11:44:37 PM »

I moved on from this jungle to examine the somewhat drier areas near the springs. Columbine, Aquilegia formosa, Wandering Daisy, Erigeron peregrinus, and Arrow-leaf Butterweed, Senecio triangluaris were all blooming creating a kaleidoscope of colors.

Agathache utricifolia (pictured) grew here and there in the drier locations.

Also in drier locations, a few Hackelia velutina were finishing up their bloom cycle. This species is very similar to another local species, Hackelia nervosa. H. velutina can be recognized from H. nervosa by its larger flowers and its lower stems that are very hairy.

In these seasonal moist areas Gray's Lovage, Ligusticum grayii, is frequently seen.

As well as Angelica breweri (pictured).

As I moved among the plants Osmorhiza occidentalis had already bloomed and had produced its cylindrical seed atop their tall stems.

Slowly I moved on to still drier territory. Here grew Polygonum davisiae, now Aconogonon davisiae.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #528 on: July 21, 2015, 12:02:49 AM »

Sticky Current, Ribes viscossimum grew among the large volcanic rocks as I moved back to the top of the bluff.

Many hours were spent exploring this bluff and now it was time to move on.

As a neared the truck I could see that the clouds were building. Maybe a thunderstorm was brewing.

Back at the truck I drove a short distance down the road to a nearby meadow. This meadow is right next to the road. It looks as if there is not much growing there, however when one gets out among the plants it is clear that the situation is much different.

Here too, I found Sierra Bog Orchid, Platanthera dilitata var. leucostachys. This meadow receives much more sun than the bluff so here they had nearly finished with their bloom cycle.

Yampah, Perideridia parishii (pictured) enjoyed this meadow. Yampah was a food source for the Native Americans in this part of California. The roots were dug and eaten boiled.

Surrounding the meadow were large drifts of Sidalcea glaucescens in full bloom. This was a spectacular sight.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #529 on: July 21, 2015, 12:20:52 AM »

Exploring the meadow, Ragged Aster, Aster integrifolium, was found in bloom. This species is an old friend. I have to admit that I do not like the new name, Eurybia integrifolium. From me it will always be an Aster.

Erigeron coulteri is not frequently seen in this area and I was delighted to find them.

Near running water among tangles of Carex lenticularis var. impressa and Fanleaf Rush, Juncus ensifolius grew another beautiful perennial Monkeyflower, Mimulus tilingii.

It is easy to lose track of time among the plants. Thunder began to roar. It was getting late, so it was time to return to the farm. Walking up the dry slope to the truck through the tall wands of Sierra Wildrye, Elymus sierrae and masses of the tiny flowered Gayophytum diffusum under foot, I felt peaceful, a day well spent among the wildflowers in the high Sierras.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 12:30:51 AM by Robert »
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #530 on: July 21, 2015, 07:20:12 AM »
Robert,

Your part of the world seems to be  an inexhaustible source of different species!
Thank you for taking the time to show :)  It is time consuming work. (Both to make it and to read it  ;D)

It is striking to see the lushness amongst the firs at that height! At what altitude is the tree or forest line?

I recognize some of the species and know a lot of the genera as they are represented here also but a few are unknown.

I especially liked the Veratrum californica. We have but one native Veratrum in Norway (V album) but it grows far north and I have never seen it in situ.
I am also impressed and a little jealous on all the Delphinums and Aconitums ;D
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Robert

« Reply #531 on: July 22, 2015, 04:03:13 AM »
Trond,

Treeline is about 2,750 to 3,000 meters in our area, although there are some twisted, dwarfed, wind blown White Bark Pines, Pinus albicaulis, at these altitudes.

The Red Fir forest is quite dry now and unless there is a creek, seep or other water source the under growth must be of fairly xeric species.

I have to admit that I like our Delphinium species too.  ;D  There are both xeric species as well as the water lovers, such as Delphinium glaucum. I have yet to grow D. glaucum, but I will certainly reserve some space for them in the irrigated parts of the garden at the farm.

I would not be without Veratrum californica either. I have strong positive memories of it from 1960 when I was first taken backpacking to Lake Sylvia. Lake Sylvia is at the base of Pyramid Peak, the highest peak of the Crystal Range. The head waters of Lyon's Creek flow from it. I go on outing in this area often.

Yea, I seem to be getting long winded these days. I do the best I can to make things interesting and supply good information. I doubt that I will change, however I hope that I am not too boring.  :)
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #532 on: July 22, 2015, 11:18:18 AM »
How sweetly modest  it is for you to worry about being "long-winded" Robert.  There is no such perception amongst those of us enjoying your every post, I assure you!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Robert

« Reply #533 on: July 22, 2015, 02:33:30 PM »
How sweetly modest  it is for you to worry about being "long-winded" Robert.  There is no such perception amongst those of us enjoying your every post, I assure you!

Maggi,

This is good! I am more inclined to add more information, especially when I have the time. We have so many beautiful plants here in California. I feel that many of our species could thrive in the U.K. , even in summer cool Scotland. ( Yes, I did notice the Triteleia ixioides in your front garden - in the latest bulb log.... and while I am at it, what a beautiful garden! It is a fantastic inspiration for all!)
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #534 on: July 27, 2015, 05:49:31 AM »
Today I took my elderly parents for a very special ride today. My father, 92 has kidney failure. It is hard to believe how he keeps coming back from the edge. 9 lives I guess. Today was a strong day for him so off we went.

Our regular route was blocked as there is a forest fire in that area. Our alternate route took us through parts of the burned out area from last year's King Fire.

The King Fire was the most devastating fire in our short history here in El Dorado County, California. We drove through miles of burned out forest. The views are overlooking the Rubicon River Canyon, a place I am very fond of. It was very difficult to see such devastation.

Fortunately most of the basin of the South Fork of the Rubicon River was untouched. In addition, this was getting close to "home".

Around a turn in the road, and there she was - the northern reaches of the Crystal Range. He in the early 1960's my father built a cabin in the mountains. I spent every summer here for 30 plus years. I know every inch of the woods in this area. For me it is home.

The peak to the far left is Tells Peak. The reddish peak to the far right is Red Peak. This is a very favorite site for me. Fantastic wildflowers! A very special place. I must return soon!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 06:20:31 AM by Robert »
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #535 on: July 27, 2015, 06:16:01 AM »

Soon we arrived at Loon Lake, gateway to the wilderness of Rock Bound Valley and the head waters of the Rubicon River.

The brown coloured mountain slightly left of center is Brown Mountain an ancient lava plug. He in the early 1960's my father and older brother helped build a lodge near the shore of Loon Lake. I spent some time here too, however I was far too young to be of any help so I spent my time exploring the woods on my own and rowing out into the lake. The west winds would come up everyday making white caps that were fun for me to row through. I was about 7 years old or so and very adventuresome even then.

I took my father to a point overlooking Francis Basin. It was down this drainage and very near this basin were my father built the cabin. My father was very alert and joyful to be at this overlook, even if he could only sit in the car and take it all in. It was a good place to pause.  :)

The next drainage to the south is the upper reaches of the South Fork of the Rubicon River.

The mountain center left is Tells Peak, the most northern peak of the Crystal Range. In a huge amphitheater just north of Tells Peak is the location of the headwaters of the South Fork of the Rubicon River.

Unfortunately this was not an opportunity for any botany. I will certainly return. I have much to share in this area.  :)
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Hoy

« Reply #536 on: July 27, 2015, 08:28:16 PM »
I believe your parents are very glad to get out a little especially since they seem recognize and know where they go. My mother was very anxious and didn't like at all to leave her room the last couple of years she lived - she didn't recognize anything.

Although a wildfire is a disaster some species may benefit from it?

Even here with much less fires than "over there" it is both animal (mostly insects) and plant species which actually is depending on fire.

Loon lake looks beautiful :)  Is it a natural lake? Seems to be a little below maximum water capacity anyway.

We have loons roosting by the lake (Mykingsjøen) near our cabin here and it is trout and European whitefish in it.

What kind of cabin did your father build? I mean, was it for holidays or to have a place to live while working? Does it still stand? The landscape looks very exciting!

Robert

« Reply #537 on: July 28, 2015, 05:24:04 AM »
Although a wildfire is a disaster some species may benefit from it?

Trond,

This is an excellent questions. It came to my mind that I have a first hand opportunity to find some of the answers to this question for myself by studying the burned areas. Already I am planning a visit to the main forest service office to see if I can find out how different parts of the burn area will be managed in the coming years. I feel good about having an open mind about whatever I might discover. Now to come up with some sort of methodology.

Loon Lake is indeed very beautiful. Originally there were two lakes, the upper lake, Mary's Lake, and the lower lake, Loon Lake. In the 1950's, a dam was built on Gerle Creek and now it is all one lake when the water is high.

Gerle Creek is where my father built the cabin. It was a small but very nice place that he sold back in the 1990's.  :'(  There were in fact two cabins. The other was in a village called Calpine in Sierra Valley. My grandfather was given this cabin during the great depression for work he had done surveying in Calpine. There was no money to pay him so he was given the cabin. I have the wood cook stove from the Calpine cabin. It is called "Our Prize" as this is the name cast into its front face. My father and uncle sold this cabin too.  :'(   :'(  I feel sure that I would be living in one of these cabins now if I had the opportunity to buy one of them. The cabin at Calpine is gone now but I do have photographs of the village of Calpine on my other computer. I must post them when I get a chance. No plants, however I think that seeing how Calpine is today would be very interesting for those that know nothing of the area.

It is very painful for me to think about the cabins. Either location could have been the perfect place for someone like me. More or less mountains and wilderness for miles and miles. I have a very difficult time in the "city". Like a fish out of water!

And, yes the landscape around Loon Lake is very exciting. It looks like I will be free on Wednesday. Maybe this is where I should go?
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Hoy

« Reply #538 on: July 28, 2015, 08:17:33 AM »
Robert,

We have had some serious wildfires not far from where my home. Some places have been left to heal in a natural way and some have been replanted with trees.

Here is one which have been left to regenerate naturally. It is a site for scientific research. (It is also links to pictures from the area where I live)

http://www.haugalandet.net/ht010821.htm

Interesting to hear a little of your family history :) Seems your family has been in California quite a while!

I can well understand your feelings regarding the cabins. My family's old summerhouse (it was built by my grandpa in 1929) was sold some years ago. It was the place where I and a lot of uncles, cousins etc had spent all summers since we were born. Fortunately my parents had bought the property next to this site and my uncles had taken over the old house but they sold it :'(  Now it has new owners.  I and my sister are still at our place every summer but it is strange to see other people using "our" house.

Loon lake seems to be a good place to go! But it certainly will awake feelings :)

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #539 on: July 28, 2015, 09:11:01 AM »
A cabin in the mountains would be great! I have an abiding memory of camping in a cave on the side of the Western Arthurs in Tasmania and watching the sun rise across the landscape. Completely incredible to see the world wake up!

We don't have fires here in Kent but it is interesting that after the 1987 storm which devastated woodlands all around it was those that were left alone that recovered best. The desire to tidy up and replant is a strong one but nature is far more effective in these situations. A little different in your own garden though - ours looked quite a mess for a while, and we had similar damage more recently in Christmas 2013 which we are still clearing up.
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal