We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: 2015 - Robert's adventures in the Northern Sierra Nevada - California  (Read 65061 times)

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
Re: 2015 - Robert's adventures in the Northern Sierra Nevada - California
« Reply #480 on: July 04, 2015, 12:21:25 AM »

Veratrum californicum. I first hiked this trail in 1960. I was 5 years old and was fascinated by the Corn Lilies that towered over my head. I still like them. For me they are a must in the garden. They bring very good feelings every time I see them.

Some meadows had large stands of Veratrum californicum.

Monkshood, Aconitum columbianum, is not rare, however it is not seen very often.

Another surprise was the sight of Calochortus minimus. They grow by the thousands in the meadows, and in a great variety of shades of white to light lavender blue. They bloom early and are often finished by July. This tiny species is easier to grow in cultivation than many of the other Calochortus species (at least for me). It has more tolerance of moisture when it is dormant. Excellent drainage is still a must!

And so I continued up the trail.

Part II coming very soon.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #481 on: July 04, 2015, 07:23:58 AM »
I am really looking forward to the next part, Robert!

This are seems to be a very lush compared to other places you have shown?
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #482 on: July 04, 2015, 01:40:35 PM »
My goodness, that Pedicularis attollens is really trying VERY hard to impersonate an orchid, isn't  it?  ;D   Love it! 
 ( Who am I kidding - I love all these plants!)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Robert

« Reply #483 on: July 04, 2015, 02:16:53 PM »
LYON'S CREEK - PART II

Continuing on from part I

From where I left off, the trail continues to rise in elevation and the Lyon's Creek drainage narrows. There are fewer meadows and more seasonal and year round creeks flowing into Lyon's Creek.

Where there is year round moisture it can be quite lush with plant growth. Heracleum lanatum, Cow Parsnip, is often seen in these areas. This species is found from near sea level near the California coast well into the higher elevations of the Sierra Nevada. It is also seen throughout the Western U.S.A.

Fireweed, Epilobium angustifolium, is one of those species that seems to be everywhere. Here in the Sierra Nevada it is not weedy and can be enjoyed for its late season flowers. It is also another species that is a victim of name change. For now, it is known as Chamerion angustifolium.

In somewhat drier sites there were scattered clumps of Viola bakeri. My wife and I saw them blooming with their yellow flowers earlier this season, however they are all done now and will be going dormant soon. As Violas go, they are easy to spot as their foliage stands very upright.

Aconogonon (Polygonum) phytolaccifolium is a quiet plant. It can grow up to a meter tall, however it is not a plant that stands out. Never the less, I do like it and would not mind having a few in the garden.

The photograph is a bit fuzzy, but this is Polygonum bistortoides. It is now known as Bistorta bistortoides. This species is moisture loving and is sometimes found in shallow standing water.
Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #484 on: July 04, 2015, 02:33:15 PM »

Now I was getting into much drier terrain. In the pine duff grew the annual Collinsia torreyi. This is a showier and larger flowered version of Collinsia parviflora that blooms along this trail earlier in the season.

Arnica mollis was a delight with its bright yellow daisies and wooly gray-green foliage.

Where year round creeks flowed down the mountainside there were still a few Viola glabella in bloom. This species is always found where there is year round moisture.

In the "spring" I always see many butterflies along this route. They gather in large groups on the moist soil in the middle of the trail.

Agastache utricifolia. A scented member of the mint family. The tall upright stems can grow up to a meter tall or more. I wish that the ones in our garden did as well. I will keep trying.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #485 on: July 04, 2015, 02:48:06 PM »

Another mint family member, Monardella odoratissima var. pallida. In our area, flowers generally become brighter as one gains elevation. With this species it is the opposite. The deepest lavender flowers on this species are found at the lower elevations.

This was an interesting find, a variegated sport on Monardella odoratissima.

The trail had finally climbed high enough so that I could get some views of Pyramid Peak not far in the distance.

Now most of the terrain was much drier. Hieracium albiflorum was a common but not frequently seen species under the high shade of conifers.

Phacelia hydrophylloides is another species that enjoyed the high open dry shade of the conifers.

Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #486 on: July 04, 2015, 03:08:13 PM »

Penstemon laetus is a common species at the mid-elevations in our area. At this elevation Penstemon newberryi is seen more often.

This is a terrible photograph, but it was my lucky day. A red-violet form of Penstemon laetus. A few tiny cuttings and a prayer - I hope that I can get them rooted and see how they preform in the garden. 3 unusual forms in one outing. This does not occur often.

Antennaria is seen frequently in the higher elevations. The small gray foliage is attractive as it carpets the ground and spreads around the rocks. Some Antennaria species are easily identified. For me, not this one. Perhaps they hybridize as there is more than one species in this area.

Calochortus leichtlinii grows in hot, dry, rocky situations. They are lovely blooming in the mountain chaparral plant community.

Apocynum androsaemifolium is a plant of dry habitats too. If my understanding is correct, it is a species that has spread around parts of the globe.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #487 on: July 04, 2015, 03:27:28 PM »

I had reached the high point of this outing, 7,451 feet (2,271 meters). Here the terrain was open, steep, rocky and very dry.

Parsley Fern, Cryptogramma acrostichoides, grew in rock cervices. This species has both sterile and fertile fronds that are shaped differently.

Arenaria kingii var. glabrescens grew in this dry, hot, rocky area too. The newly opened anthers of this species are bright red.

Penstemon newberryi was now seen frequently as it too enjoys hot sunny sites. It has been fairly easy to grow in our garden as long as the soil drainage is excellent. Good forms are worth growing.

Thunderstorms can develop quickly this time of year in the high country. I heard thunder and knew that it was time to return to the truck. This turned out to be a good course of action as an intense thunderstorm developed.

Again, I was fortunate to arrive during a peak in the flower season and enjoy a delightful and productive outing.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #488 on: July 04, 2015, 03:36:15 PM »
I am really looking forward to the next part, Robert!

This are seems to be a very lush compared to other places you have shown?

Trond,

Yes, parts of this area are very lush and well watered, at least for most of the season. In the autumn even many of the moist areas can be very dry. It looks very different - not the same at all! I am sure I will be visiting this fall and the photographs will show the difference.

My goodness, that Pedicularis attollens is really trying VERY hard to impersonate an orchid, isn't  it?  ;D   Love it! 
 ( Who am I kidding - I love all these plants!)

Maggi,

I wish that Pedicularis attollens was easier to grow in the garden.  :(  Who would not enjoy it!
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #489 on: July 06, 2015, 02:41:49 AM »
Some very exciting plants, Robert! And all so beautiful.
I'd not herad of Yampah before - is it a genus you cultivate as well?
And that miniature calochortus! I'll have to re-read the book as I seemed to have missed this one before this!
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Robert

« Reply #490 on: July 06, 2015, 03:57:26 AM »
Some very exciting plants, Robert! And all so beautiful.
I'd not herad of Yampah before - is it a genus you cultivate as well?
And that miniature calochortus! I'll have to re-read the book as I seemed to have missed this one before this!
cheers
fermi

Fermi,

I have to admit that our local native flora excites me too. When care giving is no longer an issue for me I have many other California locations I wish to explore that are a bit farther away from the farm. In the mean time, there is plenty in our local vicinity to keep me very busy for many years (more like forever). There is so much that captures my interest here in California.

I wish that I could report on all the flora I see on each outing, however this is over 100 species per outing now. Some of the Poaceae and Juncus species are very interesting. I am test some as I think that they would be fine ornamentals in the garden.

Yes, I believe that the various Perideridia species could be good garden plants. I have grown P. parishii successfully, however it does need a quick draining soil mix as one would use for other "alpines". Ligusticum grayi is another excellent species in the garden. As I have time, the garden is filling with most of the species I see on my outings, both xeric as well as those that need water such as those found in riparian type habitats. I want to see a practical application to the plants I find on my outings that is useful and interesting for gardeners.

Calochortus minimus is indeed a miniature species, growing only a few centimeters tall. The seed ripens very quickly after the plants bloom so gathering seed is challenging for me under my current circumstances. I am always interested in trying more so I will do the best I can this season to gather some seed.  ;)

One last thought, Calochortus minimus is very similar to C. nudus. From my observations, I am not sure that C. nudus is truly a valid species. At least in our area, the two species tend to blend together making separation extremely difficult. How the ripe seed pods are held is not a good indication as to separating the two species in our area.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 03:59:18 AM by Robert »
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #491 on: July 06, 2015, 01:51:17 PM »
I could wish we had such a rich flora to explore here in Kent. There are many fascinating chalk downland plants (especially orchids) but where we live the land is heavily used for fruit growing - excellent soil so rather more weedy plants! We do our botanising in the garden ;) and try to convince local gardeners that they should get excited about alpines and dryland perennials - with some success this last year or so. But few people develop such a strong interest in plants for their own gardens despite environmental concerns, which surprises me - the picture postcard cottage gardens of England are fewer and further between than they used to be when gardeners tended to exchange plants more and there were'nt such places as Garden Centres.

Our brown lawn at the moment looks very suitable for calochortus :-\ :)
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Robert

« Reply #492 on: July 06, 2015, 06:31:04 PM »
Tim,

4 years of drought has certainly changed the attitude of many gardens here in California. With care giving farming is impossible, however I have been able to show up at the farmers' market with nursery plants. My botanical outings have payed-off in terms of how the nursery plants have been enthusiastically received at market. Folks have the choice of various Eriogonums, Artemisias, Pestemons, Lupinus, Silenes, Salvias, Potentillas, Epilobiums, Asters, Erigerons, Mimulus, etc. as well as rock ferns like Pentagramma triangularis, Pellaea mucronata, Aspidotis densa, and Crtptogramma acrostichoides. They are all xeric. Folks get very excited to find that gardening does not end with drought. Add in California native annuals (Madia elegans is still blooming here at the farm) and one can have a beautiful and exciting xeric garden even with drought and 40 C heat. It is very strange, but most of the plants I bring to market folks have never seen offered before at any local nurseries. I feel like I am bringing some benefit to our local community. For me this feels good.  :)  Some species have been very popular such as Salix orestera, with its fuzzy, fury, gray-green leaves. Why grow Salix magnifica, which hates our heat, when one can grow this beautiful California native species!

Too long winded!  :o  Anyway, thank you for your comments Tim. This week I hope to get back to a site where Viola sheltonii might grow. Lupinus grayii grows nearby and I know that the seed is ripe. I will keep you in mind.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #493 on: July 06, 2015, 10:05:45 PM »
I wold love to be to that marked, Robert ;D

It is the same here, you never find native plants at the nurseries, even when the same species as you can find in the pots grow wild!

But I wouldn't be without the foreign plants since the flora here is a bit poor  - at least compared to the Californian flora!
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Robert

« Reply #494 on: July 06, 2015, 10:35:23 PM »
I wold love to be to that marked, Robert ;D

It is the same here, you never find native plants at the nurseries, even when the same species as you can find in the pots grow wild!

But I wouldn't be without the foreign plants since the flora here is a bit poor  - at least compared to the Californian flora!

Trond,

I would not be without foreign plants either.  ;D

I went for a short low elevation outing today looking for Calytegia stebbensii. I did not find any, however I saw some other good plants. I have to go out-of-town tomorrow. I will post some photographs of this outing soon. Thursday I hope to get back into the high country.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal