We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: 2015 - Robert's adventures in the Northern Sierra Nevada - California  (Read 65012 times)

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
Re: 2015 - Robert's adventures in the Northern Sierra Nevada - California
« Reply #465 on: June 27, 2015, 08:32:46 PM »
Thank you for showing us so many beautiful plants Robert, mostly new to me.  These alpine communities are also a wonderful sight.

Me too.  I've often wondered where this irrepressible urge for direct and regular contact with nature comes from, but not to be able to satisfy it would be almost unbearable.

Ashley,

It is always welcome to come across a kindred soul. Thank you so much for your thoughtful comment. I hope I can reach out to more folks concerning our need to connect with the natural world. I sincerely believe that the situation on this planet would change much for the better if more souls were able to awaken their inner desire to connect with nature. As gardeners that sentience is already there.  :)
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #466 on: June 28, 2015, 06:05:55 PM »
At last I have time to catch up with you, Robert! My Mom passed away last week so I have been busy elsewhere . . . . :(

Very nice to see all the spectactular plants you show! Most of them are unknown or at best poorly known to me but they brighten the days all of them :)
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Robert

« Reply #467 on: June 29, 2015, 03:57:37 AM »
Trond,

I think that I can understand your situation. My father is in hospice (at home) now with kidney failure. At least he will most likely pass in his sleep very peacefully. He sleeps most of the time now. It is difficult when family members pass, for a variety of reasons. I have lost too many dear ones already. My thoughts are with you and your family. In my situation it has been important to keep my mind focused on positive things. For me it has not always been easy. Believe it or not, this forum and some wonderful folks I have become acquainted with has helped me stay focused on the positive forces of life.

I hope to get out this Wednsday. The weather forecast is for 42 C or something close to that (107 F). Ugh! We are also getting subtropical moisture too, somewhat unusual for this time of year. The heat is miserable with the humidity.

Also, I was able to return to the farmers' market for the first time this year. Kind'a late for me, however all went well. After 15-20 years at the market it felt good to be greeted by so many heart-felt friends and acquaintances.  :)
Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

ArnoldT

« Reply #468 on: June 29, 2015, 11:26:16 AM »
Trond:

My condolences to you and your family.
Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #469 on: June 29, 2015, 11:34:31 AM »
Mine also, Trond.
Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

Hoy

« Reply #470 on: June 29, 2015, 08:28:26 PM »
Trond:

My condolences to you and your family.

Thank you, Arnold.

Mine also, Trond.

Thank you Ralph.

Trond,

I think that I can understand your situation. My father is in hospice (at home) now with kidney failure. At least he will most likely pass in his sleep very peacefully. He sleeps most of the time now. It is difficult when family members pass, for a variety of reasons. I have lost too many dear ones already. My thoughts are with you and your family. In my situation it has been important to keep my mind focused on positive things. For me it has not always been easy. Believe it or not, this forum and some wonderful folks I have become acquainted with has helped me stay focused on the positive forces of life.

I hope to get out this Wednsday. The weather forecast is for 42 C or something close to that (107 F). Ugh! We are also getting subtropical moisture too, somewhat unusual for this time of year. The heat is miserable with the humidity.

Also, I was able to return to the farmers' market for the first time this year. Kind'a late for me, however all went well. After 15-20 years at the market it felt good to be greeted by so many heart-felt friends and acquaintances.  :)

Thank you Robert. I feel with you in your situation. I am glad to say that my mother slept peacefully her last days as the last month was not good.

Good to hear that you was able to participate at the marked! It sounds very cosy and interesting.

I am also glad I don't experience 42C! Here it is about 20 and that is enough - or maybe I would prefer 25?  ;)

Robert

« Reply #471 on: July 02, 2015, 02:39:59 AM »

Another fantastic outing this week. The mid-season wildflowers were at their prime.

Once again I maxed-out the memory chips. Right now I am trying to round-up some livelihood needs while I can. Part I of this outing will start around Saturday.

Until then.....
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #472 on: July 02, 2015, 11:06:10 AM »
The mid-season wildflowers were at their prime.

Well, from your super picture, there can be no argument to that - what a lovely sight!  8)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Hoy

« Reply #473 on: July 02, 2015, 09:29:21 PM »
Robert

It seems to be more red flowers in "your" flora than in "mine". Who are the pollinators of the red ones? Birds?

Robert

« Reply #474 on: July 03, 2015, 03:30:03 AM »
Robert

It seems to be more red flowers in "your" flora than in "mine". Who are the pollinators of the red ones? Birds?

Trond,

Too often I do not have any information on pollinators. Hummingbirds are a possibility. Bumblebees are another, however we have many "bee species". Anything is possible.

Well, from your super picture, there can be no argument to that - what a lovely sight!  8)

Yes it is (was) very  8)  !
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #475 on: July 03, 2015, 11:02:00 PM »
LYON'S CREEK PART I

Wednesday, 1 July 2015

Weather: Cloudy

Temperature, High: 100 F (37.5 C)  Low: 71 F (21.5 C)

It was an extremely sultry day. The high temperature was forecast to be 108 F (42C), however sub-tropical moisture and cloud cover moved in lowering the high temperature somewhat. It still turned out to be a most uncomfortable morning and afternoon. This type of weather is somewhat unusual for California.

The trailhead at Lyon's Creek begins at 6,724 feet (2,049 meters). For the first several miles the terrain is somewhat flat, with both seasonally moist meadows as well as dry rocky flats. In addition, the area is mostly forested, Red Fir (Abies magnifica) and Lodgepole Pine (Pinus contorta var. murrayana) being the dominant species.

The first photograph is of a rocky flat filled with the tiny annual Mimulus torreyi.

Intermixed with the Mimulus grew Eriogonum incanum, a very common combination in the dry rocky flats.

Triteleia ixioides was one of the common bulbs in this habitat. Alliums grew here too, however many had already finished blooming.

Spiraea densiflora is one of the frequently seen shrubs in this area. I always enjoy them in bloom. It is an easy grower at the farm, however effort is needed to select forms where the flowers do not fade much in the heat down the mountain.

Nearby there were semi-moist meadows full of other wildflowers.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #476 on: July 03, 2015, 11:20:09 PM »

Lupinus lepidus is another species that occupies the dry rocky flats.

I always keep an eye out for usual forms. This white form of Lupinus lepidus caught my attention.

The ground was still moist in many areas. The annual Nemophila maculata, Five Spots, was taking advantage of this moisture. This species is an early bloomer and the lingering moisture has kept them going.

The first flowers of Yampah had just started. 3 species of Perideridia grow in this area. This one is P. parishii, characterized by its subequal flower rays and somewhat few, large linear leaves.

Easy to over look is Horkelia fusca ssp. parviflora. In some areas they had created huge massive displays that could not be missed.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #477 on: July 03, 2015, 11:31:33 PM »

In areas where there was more moisture grew Delphinium nuttallianum. This species is bulbous, dying back to this under ground bulb as the meadows dry during the summer and fall.

Pedicularis attolens. A very lovely species. Not many this year.

Erigeron peregrinus is the most common daisy species in this area. They grow everywhere in the meadows and look great mixed with the other wildflowers.

At this time Ligusticum grayii was also a dominant feature of the moist meadows. This is one of my favorite Apiaceae species and the roots are a very strong medicine.

This meadow was dominated by Ligusticum grayii.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 01:35:14 PM by Maggi Young »
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #478 on: July 03, 2015, 11:50:21 PM »

Pinedrops, Pterospora andromedea, grows in humus rich forested areas. This Ericaceae has no green leaves or chlorophyll thus it feeds on decomposing organic matter in the soil.

In moist areas were large mats of Mimulus primuliodes. A beautiful species with its attractive hairy foliage and many small bright yellow flowers. It is easy in cultivation too. It thrives in the garden at the farm as long as I keep it moist.

Aquilegia formosa a frequently seen species near streams and in moist meadows. It may be commonly grown, however I would not be without it in the garden.

Potentilla gracilis is another common species in this area. It is one of 5 Potentilla species along this trail. It is another easy grower in the garden and has some degree of drought tolerance.

Castilleja miniata, a beautiful paintbrush. They do have some variation in their flower color, but generally they are always shades of orange-red.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #479 on: July 04, 2015, 12:05:02 AM »

Lilium parvum. I have seen forms in the wild with over 100 flowers on the flowering stem. I like them with fewer flowers. They are fairly easy to grow in the garden too as long as the soil drains well. We have 3 varieties in our area.

I was very pleased to find Viola adunca in bloom. 5 species of Viola grow along this trail.

Mertensia ciliata is an early bloomer. This late in the season, there were very few plants with flowers.

After a while the trail begins to climb into drier terrain.

Where there is moisture species such as Thimbleberry, Rubus parviflorus grows. The fruits are tasty, however in the autumn the wild creatures leave very few when they are ripe.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal