We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: 2015 - Robert's adventures in the Northern Sierra Nevada - California  (Read 65080 times)

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
Re: 2015 - Robert's adventures in the Northern Sierra Nevada - California
« Reply #450 on: June 26, 2015, 11:12:16 AM »
So many plants that I have never heard of or seen! Thank you Robert.
Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #451 on: June 26, 2015, 01:14:48 PM »
All marvelous, Robert, but those little cuties like the Eremogone and the Calochortus are the ones that I love to see!
cheers
fermi

Fermi,

In Part III all the plants will be tiny for the most part. Some sweet little gems that I hope you will enjoy too. In addition, it seems with some effort all of them will grow in the garden, however there are still more for me to try. I finally have blooming plants of Lupinus lepidus, not the easiest species to grow. I must post a photograph.

Anyway, I am glad that you enjoyed. By the way, I did not pass up all that ripe Calochortus seed at stop #1.  ;)
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #452 on: June 26, 2015, 01:26:33 PM »
From post 445 on the previous page : A close-up of Lupinus arbustus. The bulge at the rear of the corolla is a characteristic of this species, as well as the tuft of hair at the rear the the wing petals.

Robert, I am learning from  ALL the plants  you are showing us, large and small - but the above quote is just one example of what I have learned today.  I had no knowledge of these features at all.  Thank you!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Robert

« Reply #453 on: June 26, 2015, 01:30:40 PM »
So many plants that I have never heard of or seen! Thank you Robert.

Ralph,

I had been up on this mountain last year and missed the peak blooming season by far. As with Fermi, there are more great little plants to come in Part III. I will be glad when I can do this full time, as I have already missed much this season. In this area there is a mix of metamorphic and volcanic rock each with its own plant community. I have completely missed most of the east side species - they are different too.

I am not sure where I will travel next week, maybe some part of the Crystal Range, and then there is much to do still at the lower elevations.

Thanks for the comment. I will do my best to keep things interesting, however I am best leaving this to the plants as they are good at this.  :)
Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #454 on: June 26, 2015, 01:43:38 PM »
Robert, I am learning from  ALL the plants  you are showing us, large and small - but the above quote is just one example of what I have learned today.  I had no knowledge of these features at all.  Thank you!

Maggi,

I definitely appreciate comments like this. Sometimes I am not sure if I should include information like this. One needs a hand lens to see the hairs on Lupinus flowers, and yet this is often needed to confirm their identity. My camera certainly does not take this type of a close-up photograph.  :(  Sometimes, the folk art method of identification is interesting and useful too.

Thank you.  :)
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #455 on: June 26, 2015, 04:32:44 PM »
RED LAKE PEAK PART III

Where I left off in part II, I had hiked higher into the alpine zone. Wildflowers, alpines were in bloom everywhere.

Orobanche fasciculata, Broom Rape, is a parasitic plant having no chlorophyll (not absolutly sure  ??? ) or leaves. Here it is growing near Artemisia its favorite host. In this case, this is Artemisia arbuscula, a fantastic dwarf species, with wonderful silvery foliage.

The flowers of Orobanche fasciculata are quite attractive. They can range in color from shades of pink, to creamy yellow, or white.

Above 9,000 feet (2,743 meters) almost all the plants were cushion plants. Eriogonum rosense is one of these. This is one of the 7 to 8 Eriogonum species that I have found on this mountain.

Eriogonum ovalifolium var. nivale is another gem from this mountain. It is interesting that all the Eriogonum species bloom, more or less, at the same time. I have never found any hybrids, anywhere.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #456 on: June 26, 2015, 04:47:26 PM »

Toxicoscordion paniculatus is one of the few non-cushion plants at this elevation. It certainly adds interest to the landscape, something for me to keep in mind when gardening.

Up here the view is spectacular! Elephants Back across the valley.

For me it can be dreamy looking off to the distant mountains as they disappear into the distance.

Eriophyllum lanatum var. integrifolium. There are a number of varieties of this species. In our area, one of the varieties can be found from 500 feet (152 meters) in elevation to 9,000 feet (2,743 meters) or more. They make good garden plants too. Very xeric.

Most of the Phlox diffusa had finished blooming below 9,000 feet (2,743 meters), however there were a few still in there prime above 9,000 feet.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #457 on: June 26, 2015, 04:55:50 PM »
Toxicoscordion paniculatum remains Zigadenus paniculatus to me, I'm afraid - I am finding it  increasingly hard to learn new names. Hard enough to remember the old ones most of the time. 
I rather like this death camas - and as you say, it's height and shape makes a good contrast for cushion plants. I had a couple of Zigadenus in the gsarden but when I discovered that they were sheeding seed unknown to me, which were sprouting in paving cracks, they had to go - the two younger dogs are at times pretty reckless about what they'll chew on that looks remotely "grassy" and I did not dare risk it.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Robert

« Reply #458 on: June 26, 2015, 05:03:41 PM »

At this elevation there are some great alpine plants. I was surprised, yet pleased, to see Astragalus bolanderi.

Even better in my mind is Astragalus purshii. Last year I thought that I had finally established this species in the garden. Think again!  :(  Their roots do not like to be disturbed - I will try direct seeding next.

Nature creates wonderful plant combinations. I admit that I copy them all the time. Here is Sedum lanceolatum with Eriogonum ovalifolium var. nivale.

Chaenactis douglasii in bloom.

Erigeron linearis. This was quite the find. It is not at all common in our area and a super plant. I hope to get this species started in the garden ASAP.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #459 on: June 26, 2015, 05:24:08 PM »

Still another fantastic Asteraceae was Stenotus acaulis. They were quite common on the higher parts of the mountain. They certainly added much to the natural landscape.

Erigeron compositus. There are forms of this species with ray flowers too. Either way a delightful plant.

Granite Gilia, Linanthus pungens. At one time it was known as Leptodactylon pungens. Too many name changes for me!  ???
Now many of the plants that I knew as Linanthus are something else. I know that I am not comfortable with all the name changes and will continue to use some of the old names. Too me Aster is an Aster. No change for me on this one, at least for right now.

This pink form of Linanthus pungens stood out like a beacon. Unbelievably beautiful in my mind.

It was getting late and I still had not reached the summit of Red Lake Peak. There were so many plants to see and the batteries and memory were maxed-out on the camera. It was time to turn back towards the truck.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #460 on: June 26, 2015, 05:32:07 PM »

Round Top Peak across the valley.

I am glad that I took the short cut straight down the mountain. A thunderstorm was brewing and I did not want to be caught on the mountain in a thunderstorm!

This turned out to be one of my best outings this season. I certainly arrived at peak bloom for many species. I had hoped to see more of the early bloomers such as Viola beckwithii. It does grow on this mountain. Hopefully next year I can arrive early.

Now it is time to set my sight on the next adventure.  :)
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #461 on: June 26, 2015, 05:42:27 PM »
Toxicoscordion paniculatum remains Zigadenus paniculatus to me, I'm afraid - I am finding it  increasingly hard to learn new names. Hard enough to remember the old ones most of the time. 
I rather like this death camas - and as you say, it's height and shape makes a good contrast for cushion plants. I had a couple of Zigadenus in the gsarden but when I discovered that they were sheeding seed unknown to me, which were sprouting in paving cracks, they had to go - the two younger dogs are at times pretty reckless about what they'll chew on that looks remotely "grassy" and I did not dare risk it.

Maggi,

Our animal friends are certainly very intelligent, however I guess they can be tempted by habit. Sounds like a good call. My wife and I have bird companions. We need to be very careful with them too.

It seems that the brisk rate of name changes is here to stay as much as I may not like it. I guess that I will have to learn to cope. It all seems like shifting sand to me and I am often unsure if I am current, or even want to be current. After all, folks may not know what I am referring to.  ???
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 05:52:54 PM by Robert »
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #462 on: June 26, 2015, 05:55:34 PM »
Living in a part of Germany which belongs to the most dense populated areas, no mountains at a convenient distance
I have to struggle not to become enviously. So it is always a comfort that you take us with you on your trips to the
delightful  regions of your state.
Thank you for your lively reports!

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Robert

« Reply #463 on: June 26, 2015, 06:21:31 PM »
Gerd,

It would be very difficult (more like next to impossible) for me to live away from nature. I am glad that I can spread some around through this diary. The plants are awesome here, as I am sure they are in other parts of the world. The outings are a delight for me too! Thank you.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #464 on: June 27, 2015, 07:37:27 PM »
Thank you for showing us so many beautiful plants Robert, mostly new to me.  These alpine communities are also a wonderful sight.

It would be very difficult (more like next to impossible) for me to live away from nature.

Me too.  I've often wondered where this irrepressible urge for direct and regular contact with nature comes from, but not to be able to satisfy it would be almost unbearable.
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal