We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: 2015 - Robert's adventures in the Northern Sierra Nevada - California  (Read 65076 times)

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
Re: 2015 - Robert's adventures in the Northern Sierra Nevada - California
« Reply #420 on: June 11, 2015, 04:26:12 AM »
Trond,

It looks like my next outing is delayed until Friday.

Right now I am digesting Gladys Smith's "A Flora of the Tahoe Basin and Neighboring Areas". It is hard to believe that the Lake Tahoe region of California and Nevada is still rich in a very diverse flora. The east side of the lake and much of the neighboring areas were denuded of trees for the silver mines of Virginia City. That was more than 100 years ago. It was a savage assault on the ecosystem and yet so much remains or has recovered. What was it like before that? The same could be said for the west slope of the Sierra Nevada. Gold mining scares still remain to this day.

G. L. Stebbins is a name I come across again and again in all the botanical references for our area of California. There have been many highly talented botanist, such as Mr. Stebbins, that have work through our area and yet, in my eyes, there is so much more to still accomplish and perhaps new species to find. Calysregia vanzuukiae was discovered at the edge of the vast "wilderness" I reported on back in the late winter-early spring of this year.

I am very excited to get back out soon as there is much for me to accomplish this year - and the next 10, 20, 30, plus years.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #421 on: June 11, 2015, 08:40:08 AM »
..................G. L. Stebbins is a name I come across again and again in all the botanical references for our area of California................

...of Lewisia stebbinsii fame. Another one that I doubt is in cultivation in the UK.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #422 on: June 11, 2015, 11:01:53 AM »
...of Lewisia stebbinsii fame. Another one that I doubt is in cultivation in the UK.

Appears now and then at the Shows, David....  for example - http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=10430.40  where "veteran vet" George writes of the plant shown by Brian Burrow - and how his own plant missed the show because of a mouse attack
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Robert

« Reply #423 on: June 11, 2015, 01:36:22 PM »

David,

He is also of Calystegia stebbinsii fame and a few more. From the dates sited, I can tell that he was active from the 1940's to about 2000. The type location for Lewisia stebbinsii is south of us near Yosemite National Park. I would love to visit this site (there are other unique plants on this mountain too) but unfortunately this is not going to happen any time soon. There is plenty to keep me busy with my current project here in El Dorado county and adjacent parts of Placer and Alpine counties. Visiting sites both north, south, and maybe even to the west do interest me and could prove useful even within my study area. There are disassociated populations of plant species all over the state including here in El Dorado county. How and why they are here is an interesting topic to ponder. Something like Polystichum lonchitis, a boreal fern, is most likely a relic of the Ice Ages. For other plants it seems less clear. I sometimes ponder the possibility of dispersal by birds and other animals, but this certainly does not explain the whole situation.

Enough of my ponderings for now. As always, I appreciate your comments.
Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #424 on: June 17, 2015, 01:31:44 PM »
I have not been able to get out for the last few weeks except for a short walk my wife and I took the other day. At the lower elevations of the Sierra Nevada the big heat and dry season are here so there is not much in bloom now. We did see a few good plants still in bloom.

Eriogonum tripodum. Rare and endangered here in California. Good forms are very nice. 100% xeric.

Monardella odoratissima. Nothing rare about this species. One of the scented foliage plants I like so much. Another plant worthy of selection, as the good forms look great in the garden. 100% xeric.

The good news is I will be able to resume my outings very soon now. I will be off to the higher elevations where most of the wildflowers are blooming now.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #425 on: June 19, 2015, 08:50:01 PM »
Both are nice plants, Robert!

You say Monardella is xeric. I once tried Monarda didyma at our summerhouse but they died of drought (it can be very dry during summer there). Maybe I should try Monardella in stead?

Although I have been busy these days I am looking forward to your postings, Robert :)
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Robert

« Reply #426 on: June 19, 2015, 09:17:21 PM »
Both are nice plants, Robert!

You say Monardella is xeric. I once tried Monarda didyma at our summerhouse but they died of drought (it can be very dry during summer there). Maybe I should try Monardella in stead?

Although I have been busy these days I am looking forward to your postings, Robert :)

Trond,

Monardella odoratissima and varieties, grow in dry, sunny locations that do not get any (almost) summer rainfall. Sounds like a good species to try. Good soil drainage is important for them. I ones from the high elevations are generally buried with much snow during the winter, however they generally have pale flowers (var. pallida). I will see what I can do for you.  ;D

I have been very busy here too. I have 5 more days of care giving until my brother arrives to take over for about 4 weeks. I will be starting the farmers' market on 28 June and need to get ready for that. My wife and I spent much time cleaning up the "nursery" and getting things looking good again.

My seed gathering for local (absolutely California only!) clients has been seriously disrupted, so I am very eager to get back out for many good reasons, one of which is that I enjoy posting my outings on this web site.

Despite the difficulties my situation is slowly improving.  :)
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Chris Johnson

« Reply #427 on: June 20, 2015, 08:21:49 AM »
... I enjoy posting my outings on this web site.

... and I for one enjoy reading it. It give a valuable insight into another part of the world.
South Uist, Outer Hebrides

Robert

« Reply #428 on: June 20, 2015, 01:47:25 PM »
Chris,

I appreciate your comment very much.

I took my elderly parents for a "ride" yesterday up into the mountains. There is much in bloom now in the middle and high elevations of the Sierra Nevada. I saw Navarretia prolifera ssp. lutea in bloom. This annual, El Dorado, county endemic, is quite showy with fairly large yellow flowers on a small plant. I have a good idea where I will be heading first when the time arrives. In this area the base rock is metamorphic. There are also areas with volcanic base rock with a somewhat different set of plants.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #429 on: June 21, 2015, 01:03:57 AM »

I returned to Peavine Ridge today with my elderly parents. They both like the area so they did not mind a return visit. This time I brought my camera.

Peavine ridge follows the 5,000 foot (1,524 meters) contour, more or less.

A nice view of the Crystal Range from the top of the ridge.

Dichelostemma multiflorum were blooming in large patches throughout the area.

Near the road was this beautiful Lilium washingtonianum with its first flower.

Navarretia prolifera ssp. lutea is an El Dorado County endemic. It is considered rare, however I found it growing everywhere along the ridgeline.

Collomia grandiflora pictured above.

Here is Navarretia Collomia grandiflora mixed with Mimulus torreyi.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 03:27:06 AM by Robert »
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #430 on: June 21, 2015, 01:17:38 AM »

Under a pine tree I found a patch of Viola lobata in bloom. What a shock!  :o They were blooming back in April when I first visited the ridge. Generally they are long since dormant by this time of year. Considering there was more precipitation in May than in January, by far, this might account for the strange behavior of the Violas. The soil is still quite moist in this area.

Viola purpurea in bloom too.  :o   :o

Another treat were the Penstemon speciosa blooming along the route.

The soil was still moist so there were masses of Monkeyflowers still in bloom. Most were Mimulus torreyi such as this plant.

Although in areas there were masses of Mimulus bicolor too.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #431 on: June 21, 2015, 01:25:51 AM »

Lupinus lepidus. It was very nice to see them blooming too.

There was so much to see, however I will have to wait a few more days until I am able to hike around and explore in a way of my liking. This trip did give me a taste!
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #432 on: June 21, 2015, 11:56:16 AM »
Your reports give me such joy, Robert, that I can only imagine how much pleasure the trips with your parents must give them - to be able to get out and have even a simple ride to such areas must be a real treat for them.  Seems like you are doing a lot of folks good with this!  8)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Robert

« Reply #433 on: June 21, 2015, 01:38:25 PM »
Your reports give me such joy, Robert, that I can only imagine how much pleasure the trips with your parents must give them - to be able to get out and have even a simple ride to such areas must be a real treat for them.  Seems like you are doing a lot of folks good with this!  8)

Maggi,

My folks are both in their 90's. My father had a stroke several years ago and my mother has dementia. They both struggle, however getting out in nature gives them both a tremendous amount of pleasure even if they can only sit in the car and look. The back roads are especially nice - there are plenty of wildflowers and it is easy to stop, open the doors and let them smell the sweet air, and see the wildflowers first hand as they are sometimes growing right at the edge of the road. Generally, I do not like picking any flowers, however sometimes I will pick one or two so they can inspect them closely. They both like this. Having nature in hand seems to touch them deeply and it clearly brings them great joy to handle the plants and inspect them in hand.

I benefit from the outings too - in so many ways. When others in the forum can benefit - well, that is about as good as it can get.

Maggi, thank you for your comments. Caregiving is also extremely difficult. A few kind words can mean so very much.  :)
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #434 on: June 21, 2015, 10:04:42 PM »

I do not know how I missed it! - A very nice photograph of Penstemon speciosus from the other day. Here in California it is also known as Showy Penstemon, a very appropriate name.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal