We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: 2015 - Robert's adventures in the Northern Sierra Nevada - California  (Read 65092 times)

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
Re: 2015 - Robert's adventures in the Northern Sierra Nevada - California
« Reply #405 on: June 02, 2015, 04:38:23 PM »
This paper on the new Calystegia  may be of interest to readers : 
http://scholarship.claremont.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1115&context=aliso

Maggi,

This link is very helpful for me!  :) I have been very busy and not had much time to check the web for additional information (It does not help that I do not like surfing the web). Anyway, thank you.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #406 on: June 02, 2015, 04:40:30 PM »
Robert, that the link is also useful yo you is a real bonus for me - I am one of those who so much enjoys these travels with you into the hills to see the plants that I am delighted to be able to be of some use.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Robert

« Reply #407 on: June 02, 2015, 04:47:48 PM »
Super! All the better!  :)   :)   :)
Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #408 on: June 02, 2015, 05:09:57 PM »
Hugely enjoyable as usual Robert, many thanks.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #409 on: June 02, 2015, 06:18:01 PM »
Trond,

Thanks for all the information about Trientalis europaea. In the correct life zone one sees them everywhere in our parts. I agree, from the photographs I can not tell the two species apart, however it would be interesting for me to grow T. europaea at some point.

The oak forests are very interesting in our area. In some cases they grow in mixed stands. In other circumstances they grow in pure stands. California Black Oak, Quercus kelloggii, is often found in pure stands in thermal belts on mountain and hill sides. During the spring when they are leafing out it is very noticeable.

Robert,

I usually get some Trientalis fruiting in my garden, so seed shouldn't be difficult to obtain.

I really like the oak forests! So thank you for info and pictures :)

The rocky outcropping where you told about the rattlesnake, could it be serpentine ( ;) ) rocks? Does that mineral occur around there? All the mining around you certainly reflect some mineral rich bedrock and soil many places?
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Hoy

« Reply #410 on: June 02, 2015, 06:35:56 PM »
And more - What is a garden worthy plant? For me almost any plant is garden worthy. I even have difficulties with removing "weed" from my beds. I always let it develop a bit to be sure what it is before removing it also. (My garden is not a common one with lawns etc ;D)

And as I have said before, the natural native flora in this part of the world is poor, especially when you take into account the size and different habitats available. Therefore I like to try as many different species as I can! My worst enemy isn't climate (well in a way it is) but foreign slugs (Arion vulgaris) imported as eggs with nursery plants from abroad. (It is not just me which has problem with it, it has spread almost to every corner of southern Norway.)

So I like every plant you show, Robert, even the tiny "weeds"!

Robert

« Reply #411 on: June 03, 2015, 02:50:05 AM »
Hugely enjoyable as usual Robert, many thanks.

David,

I'm glad you are enjoying the outings.

Did you see the photographs of Lewisia kelloggii in bloom a few postings past?  ;D
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #412 on: June 03, 2015, 03:11:29 AM »
Trond,

I would certainly be pleased to receive a few seeds of Trientalis europaea.  :)

I know what you mean, what is a garden worthy plant? A highly subjective subject!  ;D  Like you I am not afraid to try just about anything in the garden. I do try to avoid potential "thugs". Sometimes it is how a plant is used in the garden that can bring out its worthiness. Maybe most of the time it is the disposition of the gardener.

I am surprised that slugs and maybe a few other creatures have not taken over the planet. Slugs (unknown species) are a pest even here in dry California.

Personally I enjoy your "Notes from Norway" immensely. Norway is a long way from California. I know next to nothing about your native flora, so for me it is more educational than you might expect. I am sure there must be subtleties to your flora only you can bring to our attention. I appreciate your efforts!
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Hoy

« Reply #413 on: June 03, 2015, 07:52:01 PM »
Robert,

skostjerne is added to the list ;)

Glad you like what I write! However I have not been as productive as you! But it isn't much to write about at the moment except the weather ::)

Here is a picture from today:

http://www.nrk.no/hordaland/15-meter-sno-pa-fonna-i-juni-1.12391958

They have gotten 3m new snow the last week at this ski slope not so far away from where I live. Now they have 15m (40ft) of snow! The season usually lasts a while up here, but this year?

Robert

« Reply #414 on: June 04, 2015, 02:45:42 PM »
Trond,

We could use some of your snow! My wife and I made it half way to the summit of Pyramid Peak yesterday. The streams were high, but there was very little snow. Generally there is a considerable amount of snow in the Sierra in early June. Not much this year.

Our outing yesterday turned into a rescue mission for an injured hiker we came across along the trail. We did not get much done in the way of botany - no report this week. We did manage to notice about 70 species of plants including 4 species of Viola - all blooming. V. bakeri. V. purpurea, V. glabella, and V. macloskeyi. We were glad to see the rescue team show up as it was going to be dark soon and they had a long distance to carry him before they reached their rescue vehicles. It looked like rain too. No place to be when injured!

I wish to (and need too) get out on a regular basis, however it is back to care giving for me in a few days so who knows what I will get done now (at least for awhile).
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 11:46:13 PM by Robert »
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Hoy

« Reply #415 on: June 07, 2015, 07:29:22 PM »
A dramatic end to the outing!

Once I found a man lying on his stomach in the middle of the path far away from any houses. I though firstly he was dead. But he was a diabetic in need of sugar so he got my chocolate. In a few minutes he recovered dramatically and walked away in great speed. Hope he got home safely.

Robert

« Reply #416 on: June 07, 2015, 10:42:05 PM »
Trond,

The hurt man had a sever ankle injury. Might have been broken, hard to tell. It did not help that he was a large man, over weight, and not in the best of physical condition. The terrain was very rocky making movement difficult with this sort of injury. There was plenty of rescue help so I am sure that he taken out safely and is hopefully recovering well.

It looks like I will be able to get out Wednesday on some sort of outing. At this time of year there is so much to see and do at all the different elevation zones in the Sierra. Given my limited time right now I will have to make some hard choices. There ever I end up it will be good.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #417 on: June 08, 2015, 02:16:04 AM »
For those who might be interested......

Back on reply #392, 02 June 2015:
http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=12636.msg334850#msg334850 
The plant I found labeled as Calystegia occidentalis is indeed the new species C. vanzuukiae. I finally had some time to do the research and the plant found does fit the description. It was straight forward once I read that C. vanzuukiae can have both entire or lobed bracteoles. I have been back to the site and have found many more plants some with hastate bracteoles.

With this mystery cleared up, it is now time to solve some other vexing plants such as the Mimulus species that does not quite key out. There are always plants like this that show up from time to time. Most likely there is a solution, however I can always send a specimen in to be identified if the mystery goes on too long. This is the story behind both C vanzuukiae and C. stebbinsii.

Edit by maggi to add direct link to post 392 cited by Robert.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 11:14:30 AM by Maggi Young »
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #418 on: June 09, 2015, 02:01:08 PM »
Dear forumist,

I am such a Doubting Thomas! No sooner do I write that the mystery of Calystegia vanzuukiae is cleared up -  and... well... my imagination is filled with many other possibilities. Our farm is located more or less bulls-eye center to the natural range of Calystegia occidentalis, C. occidentalis ssp. fulcrata, C. malacophylla, C. stebbinsii (I can walk to where they grow from the farm) and C. vanzuukiae. I have too many niggling questions to let this drop. As I am able, I will come back to this subject with comparison photographs (Who knows when, I have other plant related priorities too). I hope this will be interesting to others as it is certainly interesting for me.

In addition, all of the above species grow within my primary study area. Into the future an interesting map of their distribution should develop. How all of this translates into something relevant to our gardens I am not sure, but I hope to make this connection too.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Hoy

« Reply #419 on: June 10, 2015, 08:33:24 PM »
Robert,

I am looking forward to your next report wherever that might be!

All the described and undescribed species in your area make it even more exciting! It would certainly have been an added bonus if I found some new species here! It is not likely. The most I can hope for is to find one new to me ;)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal