We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: 2015 - Robert's adventures in the Northern Sierra Nevada - California  (Read 65073 times)

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
Re: 2015 - Robert's adventures in the Northern Sierra Nevada - California
« Reply #390 on: June 02, 2015, 03:42:37 AM »

Most of the time one sees Castilleja applegatei in shades of orange-red, however at times there are plants that bloom apricot or soft peach.

Along the trail there were large stands of Gilia capitata, often mixed with other blooming wildflowers such as Eriophyllum lanatum, and Eschscholzia californica to name a few.

Another common wildflower in this area is Silene laciniata Ssp. californica.

I know that there are already good forms of this species in cultivation, however I was going to turn my back on this one. This species roots easily from cutting so I took a few and will give them a trial in the garden with a few other clones I already grow.

There are a number of fine plants in the genus Chaenastis. This is Chaenactis glabriscala, and in my mind a beauty.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 03:44:51 AM by Robert »
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #391 on: June 02, 2015, 03:55:02 AM »

Here and there along the trail grew Death Camas, Toxicoscordion venenosus. It is very poisonous, but the flowers are attractive.

Along this section of the trail it is very rocky and dry for the most part. Among the larger rocks grew Dudleya cymosa.

I am very fond of Triteleia bridgesii. Here they grow abundantly.

They look great mixed with other wildflowers, here with Eriophyllum lanatum.

Finally the trail moving higher into the chaparral.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 05:25:08 AM by Robert »
Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #392 on: June 02, 2015, 04:22:13 AM »

Here a completely different group of plants grew, such as this - Quecus durata, the dwarf growing Leather Oak.

In places there were masses of the tiny sandwort, Minuartia douglasii.

As well as Navarretia intertexta.

Chaparral Honeysuckle, Lonicera interrupta, is a commonly encountered species at this elevation. They climb among the shrubs and trees. The bright red berries in the fall can be very attractive.

Finally I came upon California Morning Glory, Calystegia occidentalis. I found plenty of the type species as well as some of the Ssp. fulcrata with its triangular bractlets on each peduncle. Unfortunately, I did not find any plants that were clearly C. vanzuukiae. The plant I found earlier in the season could be anything, as C. occidentalis does hybridize with C. malacophylla. The plant found earlier in the season has larger foliage, however it does not match C. vanzuukiae. The following day I did much searching again without any luck finding C. vanzuukiae. I will keep after this until I find them as they are said to grow in this area. A check with the botanist at CNPS (California Native Plant Society) could be helpful.

Edit to add quote from later in June (7th) about the Calystegia :
For those who might be interested......

Back on reply #392, 02 June 2015. The plant I found labeled as Calystegia occidentalis is indeed the new species C. vanzuukiae. I finally had some time to do the research and the plant found does fit the description. It was straight forward once I read that C. vanzuukiae can have both entire or lobed bracteoles. I have been back to the site and have found many more plants some with hastate bracteoles.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 11:13:23 AM by Maggi Young »
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #393 on: June 02, 2015, 04:32:36 AM »

As I continued hiking, in places there grew the lovely Linanthus dichotomous - and blooming.

As well as huge patches of Brodiaea purdyi in full bloom. Very stunning!

This species is quite dwarf compared to most other bulb species that grow in this area. In my mind very attractive too.

As I climbed higher Calochortus superbus started to appear in scattered stands.

It may be hard to tell from this photograph but this was a beautiful flushed pink form of Calochortus superbus.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 05:29:48 AM by Robert »
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #394 on: June 02, 2015, 04:42:29 AM »

Finally I reached an area with beautiful meadows full of wildflowers. Dominant were Mimulus guttatus and Triteleia hyacinthina.

This meadow was full of Triteleia hyacinthina.

Beyond the meadows, in drier terrain, grew masses of the annual, Sidalcea hartwegii, also in full bloom.

A surprise find in the chaparral were the blooming colonies of Collinsia tinctoria. Generally this species is found in more shaded locations.

Also blooming in this area was Monardella odoratissima, in its pink form.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #395 on: June 02, 2015, 04:57:11 AM »

The last stop before returning to the truck was this beautiful rock garden area. Lewisia rediviva grows in this area however they were very dormant and not to be seen.

Eriogonum tripodum was common in this area. It is a late bloomer and the flowering stems were just beginning to rise up above the foliage.

Here is Sidalcea hartwegii growing up through Eriogonum tripodum. Very lovely!

The last surprise for the day was finding a few blooming plants of Viola douglasii. The other plants in this area had already shed their seed and were doing dormant. Finding blooming plants of this species at this time was very odd.

Well I did not find Calystegia vanzuukiae - yet, however this turned out to be an excellent outing for me full of fantastic finds and an abundance of natural beauty.

This week my wife and I plan on hiking up Lyons Creek to the base of Pyramid Peak. A complete change into the high country.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #396 on: June 02, 2015, 05:39:27 AM »
Robert,
Good luck finding the elusive Calystegia vanzuukiae!
These wildflowers are very exciting to see in their habitat - but always thinking "how would they look in the garden?"!
Thanks for sharing,
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #397 on: June 02, 2015, 08:08:08 AM »
I have not posted on this topic before but I thought I should let you know I find it absolutely captivating.  I don't know if there is any great demand for this but you could be a wild flower tour guide, Robert.
Almost in Scotland.

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #398 on: June 02, 2015, 09:17:16 AM »
Just a marvellous outing  :).
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #399 on: June 02, 2015, 09:24:07 AM »
What a richness of spring flowering species!!!

Robert, is Lewisia rediviva dormant so early this year after it flowers this season?
My inside cultivated plant is just budding.

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #400 on: June 02, 2015, 11:45:33 AM »
This paper on the new Calystegia  may be of interest to readers : 
http://scholarship.claremont.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1115&context=aliso
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Robert

« Reply #401 on: June 02, 2015, 03:48:16 PM »
Robert,
Good luck finding the elusive Calystegia vanzuukiae!
These wildflowers are very exciting to see in their habitat - but always thinking "how would they look in the garden?"!
Thanks for sharing,
cheers
fermi

Fermi,

At this time, I am putting much effort into finding out just how suitable many of these plants are for the garden. Some are very garden worthy and have been in garden use for a long time now. Some may be of no garden use at all, and others may need some help (i.e. selection, etc.) to be truly garden worthy.

Here in California, the drought and population pressures have change the gardening situation greatly and most likely permanently. There is a huge need for both education and appropriate plants to fit this "new" need of which I am now taking a small part in.

In other parts of the forum I will be posting photographs of some of these "worthy" plants in the garden setting or close to it as I get a chance. I hope others will enjoy this. Unfortunately there is a tremendous amount of work for me transitioning from farmer to naturalist-botanist (a de facto title). I will post on this here and there as I get a chance.

Thank you, as always, for your comments.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 04:40:23 PM by Robert »
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #402 on: June 02, 2015, 04:09:26 PM »
I have not posted on this topic before but I thought I should let you know I find it absolutely captivating.  I don't know if there is any great demand for this but you could be a wild flower tour guide, Robert.

Alan,

Your comments and those of others are always appreciated and I do the best I can to reply if I can.

My wife and I have already thought about guiding wildflower outings. Here in California there is no shortage of "experts" in this realm. A few are truly experienced and in considerable demand. Where I fit into this is uncertain. For sure, always improving my skills is on my mind as well as keeping my ideas fresh and exciting. So we are certainly open to this idea, however it appears that we have a ways to go before we are ready. From my prospective, when we are ready the locals will let us know by their interest. So far this has not happened. I think of John Muir - for me a very worthy standard to strive for!

Again, I very much appreciate your kind words of encouragement. I strive to do something interesting and of benefit for the forum and SRGC.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #403 on: June 02, 2015, 04:22:14 PM »
What a richness of spring flowering species!!!

Robert, is Lewisia rediviva dormant so early this year after it flowers this season?
My inside cultivated plant is just budding.

Gerd

Gerd,

Lewisia rediviva is dormant both in its local natural habitat as well as in the garden here. This may be a bit early but not by much. Most of the Lewisia species in our area have a quick turn-around time, i.e. they flower and set seed very quickly. Often there is ripe seed 2 weeks after flowering, even at the higher elevations where temperatures are cooler and there is more moisture in the ground.

At some future time I will PM you with good news concerning our local Viola species. It is not a big deal, so I will wait until I gather more information.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #404 on: June 02, 2015, 04:34:15 PM »
Just a marvellous outing  :).

Tim,

I certainly appreciated your comments about our native Lupines a while back. They can be tricky to identify correctly, especially if one gets careless. There can be considerable variation in Lupinus breweri. The more vigorous forms of Lupinus breweri can be confused with Lupinus grayi if one does not give proper attention, however with attention the differences are obvious. I know that I will be returning to the Iron Mountain area to confirm the identification of L. breweri in this area. Even without flowers this can be done.

Your comments help keep me alert and my skills finely honed. Thank you.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal