We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: 2015 - Robert's adventures in the Northern Sierra Nevada - California  (Read 65048 times)

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
Re: 2015 - Robert's adventures in the Northern Sierra Nevada - California
« Reply #345 on: May 23, 2015, 01:49:28 PM »
IRON MOUNTAIN
Part I

Wednesday's, 21 May 2015

Weather: Cloudy

Temperature, High:69 F (20.5 C)  Low: 50 F (10 C)

I have been anxious to get into the high country of the Sierra Nevada. I have been unsure how the plants might be progressing. The weather has been cool with rain and snow in the higher terrain for the last three weeks or so. Had this slowed their growth or was the season still progressing rapidly?

Today the weather was forecast to be stormy in the mountains with thunderstorms, rain and snow. As you can see from the photograph the day started with partly cloudy skies.

I made my first stop at the base of Iron Mountain, 5,946 feet (1,812 meters). The hike to the top, 6,238 feet (1,901 meters), is short, only 1 mile (1.6 km).

There is a road to the top of Iron Mountain, however hiking through the rocky terrain is far more interesting - prime habitat for many beautiful plants.

There were colonies of Balsamorhiza sagittata in full bloom.

The large flowers are very showy. Easy to grow in the garden too.

Lupinus breweri is far more challenging in the garden. The beautiful silvery mats of foliage and fragrant flowers makes it worth the effort.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #346 on: May 23, 2015, 01:59:07 PM »

Many bulbs and rock garden type plants like to grow in and around the rocks and ledges.

Two Alliums were in bloom at this time. This is A. campanulatum, a very common species at this elevation.

Another common species at this elevation is Allium obtusum. The flowers seen today ranged from pale pink to bright lavender-pink.

Many of the Paintbrushes are very showy when flowering. This is Castilleja applegatei.

This species has distinctive wavy foliage that makes it easy to identify.
Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #347 on: May 23, 2015, 02:17:51 PM »

Another early blooming species is Sanicula tuberosa. This Apiaceae is one of the showier dwarf species from this family and a good one to try in the rock garden.

The whole area was full of Violas - V. purpurea. They were growing and blooming both in the rocky areas as well as in the forest. This is a highly variable species with many forms.

One of the more interesting Claytonia species is C. rubra. I have never tried it in the garden, however I do like the foliage and will give it a trial at some later time.

Near the top of Iron Mountain there is a mixed conifer forest. At this elevation it is predominately Jeffrey Pine (Pinus jeffreyi), White Fir (Abies concolor), and Incense Cedar (Calocedrus decurrens).

At the edge of the forest there are brushy areas with shrubs such as Ceanothus cordulatus. The flowers of this species are nice, however the ends of the twigs have sharp spines. One needs to use caution when hiking around them!
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #348 on: May 23, 2015, 02:33:04 PM »

Prunus emarginata is another shrubby species that grows at the forest margins. The small fruit is very bitter and not worth eating.

Senecio integerrimus likes growing at the forest margins too. The flowers have a ragged appearance. I like growing some plants with this look in the garden as to me it looks very wild and natural.

A delightful annual is Five Spot, Nemophila maculata.

I enjoy growing our native Delphinium species in the garden. I was delighted to find D. gracilentum.

The flowers in this area were mostly shades of white with light lavender, however they do have a color range from deep purplish lavender to paler shades of lavender - pink.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #349 on: May 23, 2015, 02:37:05 PM »

Quickly the storm clouds were brewing. It was time to return to the truck and move on up the mountain.

To be continued..........
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #350 on: May 23, 2015, 02:53:39 PM »
 Hello Robert, in Reply #348 ( above at  02:33:04 PM)  what are the little reddish leaves to the left of the Senecio integerrimus ?
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Robert

« Reply #351 on: May 23, 2015, 03:09:36 PM »
Hello Robert, in Reply #348 ( above at  02:33:04 PM)  what are the little reddish leaves to the left of the Senecio integerrimus ?

Maggi,

Quecus kelloggii, California Black Oak - aren't they beautiful?!

In the spring there are groves of this species that go through a color change from reddish shades, to yellow-green, to soft green, then bright green. It is a beautiful site, especially with the back drop of the dark green foliage of Ponderosa Pine, Pinus ponderosa.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #352 on: May 23, 2015, 03:12:49 PM »
Maggi,

Quercus kelloggii, California Black Oak - aren't they beautiful?!

In the spring there are groves of this species that go through a color change from reddish shades, to yellow-green, to soft green, then bright green. It is a beautiful site, especially with the back drop of the dark green foliage of Ponderosa Pine, Pinus ponderosa.
They are just lovely.  Must be a delight to observe their transitions.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #353 on: May 23, 2015, 04:12:11 PM »
Robert - is Lupinus breweri typically low growing/prostrate? I have a plant grown from seed named as this but it looks more like L. albifrons to me, bushy and upright growing. They must be difficult to distinguish and I know there is also a small low growing form of albifrons (collinus) which I've had and lost. Really like these shrubby lupins, so beautiful in leaf as well as flower.
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
« Reply #354 on: May 23, 2015, 07:56:07 PM »
I really enjoy your posts  Robert, I love seeing the plants in their native habitat- I especially like the wee Alliums.
Thanks for letting us join you on these trips.
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

Robert

« Reply #355 on: May 23, 2015, 08:33:44 PM »
Robert - is Lupinus breweri typically low growing/prostrate? I have a plant grown from seed named as this but it looks more like L. albifrons to me, bushy and upright growing. They must be difficult to distinguish and I know there is also a small low growing form of albifrons (collinus) which I've had and lost. Really like these shrubby lupins, so beautiful in leaf as well as flower.

Tim,

My best guess would be Lupinus albifrons too. From a previous comment you made, I have started some L. albrifrons var. collinus. They are doing quite well, however I will not see any blossoms until next spring. A low spreading form of L. albifrons seems great to me. They are from coastal California. I hope that they take the inland heat and drought well.

Lupinus breweri is a fantastic species. Low, spreading and fragrant flowers. It has been difficult for me to grow in the past, however now I have some sand beds now where I think that they will do well. Right now I have an nice little Lupinus lobbii, one of the many forms of L. lepidus, doing well in the sand bed, as well as another form of L. lepidus.

Yes, we have some beautiful perennial type Lupines locally. I have a considerable interest in them and hope to post more photographs of them as I can. The Sierra crest and the east side have more Lupinus species that I want to try-out in the garden. I guess one gets familiar with identifying the species. A hand lens is handy out in the field. Where hairs are located on the keel or banner is often used to key the species out, however after a while one can just look at them and give a good guess as to the species.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #356 on: May 23, 2015, 08:51:42 PM »
I really enjoy your posts  Robert, I love seeing the plants in their native habitat- I especially like the wee Alliums.
Thanks for letting us join you on these trips.

Ian,

I am happy that you enjoy my adventures in the Sierra Nevada. This is turning into a passion for me, or maybe I should say it ready is a passion.

You might want to give some of the wee Alliums a try in your garden. They are tiny. Maybe you can find room. For me it would be very interesting to see how they do with your climatic conditions. A. obtusum and A. campanulatum are both xeric species. I have no trouble growing them, no big surprise, however it is easy for me to let them rest dry during them summer. Given your skill at growing bulbs, I think that you would be successful.

While I am at it....... I do not have much time to check some of the other topics in the forum right now, however I always check the "Bulb Log". Thank you for all your efforts over the years. For me the bulb log and your garden are still an inspiration!

Thank you so much.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #357 on: May 23, 2015, 10:00:26 PM »
Well Robert, this never seems to end! And I don't want it to either ;) A plethora of plants!
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #358 on: May 24, 2015, 02:20:39 PM »
I concur!
Thanks, Robert, for undertaking this reporting so that we can see the way the season progresses in your neck of the woods!
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Robert

« Reply #359 on: May 25, 2015, 04:31:20 AM »
Well Robert, this never seems to end! And I don't want it to either ;) A plethora of plants!
I concur!
Thanks, Robert, for undertaking this reporting so that we can see the way the season progresses in your neck of the woods!
cheers
fermi

Trond -  Fermi,

Thank you so much!

It is an exciting time of year as there is so much to see. All the various life zones have different stages of plant growth and activity. For me it is true joy to be out there.

A plethora of plants - I saw about 130 species on this outing.

Now on with Part II.......
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 04:57:12 AM by Robert »
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal