We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: 2015 - Robert's adventures in the Northern Sierra Nevada - California  (Read 64975 times)

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
Re: 2015 - Robert's adventures in the Northern Sierra Nevada - California
« Reply #330 on: May 14, 2015, 02:32:55 PM »
Robert again a fantastic report of your countryside and mountains. Does Calochortus albus always grow in shady conditions?
I always lost them under the glass, may be i need to shade a few.

Yann,

Yes, Calochortus albus almost always grows in somewhat shaded conditions.

It is one of the easier species to grow, at least for me. Not surprising.

Here are a few tips that may be helpful:

> The bulbs and / or seedlings do not like any water / irrigation when dormant.

> I generally transplant my seed pan directly into a larger container as soon as I can during their first season of growth. When the seedlings go dormant I place the pot in a very shady location where it can get completely dry and stay dry until the autumn rains. There is good air circulation too.

> They will generally start blooming during their third season of growth. I then start transplanting them, always in the autumn as the fall rainy season starts. Never right after they go dormant.

I hope these comments are of assistance. As a last comment, even xeric bulbs species can desiccate if handled at the wrong time or in the wrong way.

Good luck!  :)
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #331 on: May 14, 2015, 03:13:20 PM »
One more plant from the outing the other day. One of those vexing Asteraceae to key out. This one appears to be Eriophyllum lanatum var. croceum.

Who ever it is, it is a beauty. A very compact, bushy little species with many showy flowers.

Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #332 on: May 17, 2015, 06:19:57 AM »
Trond,

Philadedelphus lewisii generally grows on north and east facings canyon sides. They grow in somewhat open oak-pine forest, the predominant species being Pinus ponderosa (Ponderosa Pine) and Quercus kelloggii (California Black Oak). I have to say that our forests are generally a jumble of many different species. This does make things interesting.

Yes, I have to be careful when traveling the scenic route. It is very easy for me to get carried away and spend far too much time checking on the plants, etc.  ;D

Thanks Robert. The reason why I ask is that I have 3 seedlings of Philadelphus, that I believe are lewisii. I wonder where to plant them!
I like your "jumbling" forests. They are so much more species rich than ours.

The Eriophyllum is certainly worth a picure!
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Robert

« Reply #333 on: May 18, 2015, 02:31:00 PM »
Friday, 15 May 2015

Weather: Partly Cloudy
Temperature, High:66 F (19 C)  Low:44 F (6.5 C)

On Friday, my wife and I traveled to a low elevation (601 feet to 698 feet, 183 meters to 213 meters) section of the Middle Fork of the American River. The previous day there were violent thunderstorms. Some areas received over 2 inches (50.8mm) of rainfall in just a few hours. There was flash flooding in areas, so today we were uncertain what we might find.

Another reason for our site selection has been the unseasonal cool and wet weather for the past week or so in higher elevations of the Sierra Nevada. There has been a considerable amount of snow. This slows the plants down and of coarse small plants are buried in snow. The rain and snow will not end our drought conditions, however it does help.

We traveled the north facing canyon side very near the river. The California Buckeyes, Aesculus californica were in bloom throughout the area. The weather was warm enough where we could enjoy the fragrance of the blossoms wafting through the air.

This specimen had pinkish flowers. It definitely stood out as the majority are white.

I find the seed pods of Dutchman's Pipe, Aristolochia californica, beautiful and interesting.

At this elevation, many plants are starting to dry-up and go dormant for the summer. On the north facing cliffs and ledges there is still many plants in growth and bloom , such as these, Heuchera micrantha.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #334 on: May 18, 2015, 02:48:18 PM »

There were many Dudleya cymosa still in bloom on the cliff faces. There is a goodly amount of variations in flower color as well as the color of the foliage.

Dichelostemma volubile is another late bloomer that enjoys the semi-shaded north facing rock faces.

Clarkias is, rightly called, Farewell to Spring in our area. The Clarkia biloba were making good displays in some areas. When the seasons bring average to above average rainfall the display can be spectacular.

Clarkia unguiculata is another common species in this area. So sorry, terrible photograph! It does have an interesting flower shape.

Another showy plant this time of year is Erigerin foliosus var. hartwegii. There were many blooming on the north facing rock ledges.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #335 on: May 18, 2015, 03:05:31 PM »

I was very please to find Mimulus aurantiacus var. grandiflorus. The flowers of this variety are twice the size of M. aurantiacus and quite spectacular.

This flowers in this population had a color range from soft apricot to a deeper peach.

When in bloom there are many flowers open at the same time creating quite the show. This will continue for as long as the soil stays moist - growth continues and new flowers open. This is a xeric species. By fall the plants can look dead from the dry conditions, however the fall rains bring new growth. This species will bloom all summer when irrigated, however this creates short lived plants. Plants that go dry during the summer can live for decades.

Philadelphus lewisii was another species adding fragrance to the late spring air.

Our wild roses are now starting to bloom. This is Rosa californica, one of several species in our area. They have a good fragrance too.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #336 on: May 18, 2015, 03:19:11 PM »

Sambucus mexicana. This is never a common species. The flowers have strong medicinal qualities and are quite useful. This is the perfect time to gather the flower heads.

It is also attractive when in bloom.

Potentilla glandulosa. I enjoy growing different species of Potentilla in the garden. The flowers of this species are less showy than some of our other species, however the plants are very drought tolerant.

A fruiting stem on Ceanothus integerrimus. My wife pointed these out. They are attractive as they color. We enjoy our outings together and a second set of eyes adds to our discovery.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #337 on: May 18, 2015, 03:30:40 PM »

Near the end of our outing we came across an area with limestone outcroppings.

Here we found Layia gailardioides. This species is frequently found in the coastal mountain ranges of Central California. It is rarely found in the Sierra Nevada Foothills, so we were very glad to find this species growing here.

I am not sure if it likes the limestone. It only grew in this limestone area. Something for me to think about.

Another good outing.  :)

The cool rainy - snowy weather is forecast to continue, however I do want to get back to the higher terrain soon. There are many early species that I want to see in the high country.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #338 on: May 18, 2015, 03:53:41 PM »
By Robert: Layia gailardioides - I am not sure if it likes the limestone. It only grew in this limestone area. Something for me to think about.

An interesting point , Robert - we often discuss the question of whether a plant is truly lime- loving, or maybe just able to tolerate it when  pushed out of its preferred situation.  Works the other way round too, I'm sure.  It is not easy to interpret such things, I believe.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Robert

« Reply #339 on: May 19, 2015, 01:46:44 PM »
An interesting point , Robert - we often discuss the question of whether a plant is truly lime- loving, or maybe just able to tolerate it when  pushed out of its preferred situation.  Works the other way round too, I'm sure.  It is not easy to interpret such things, I believe.

Maggi,

Thank you for your comments. I often wonder how and why plants grow where they grow. Lately I have been working on cutting fire breaks on the farm. In the past everything was cut down - the native plant species suffered. During the past few years, as I have taken over stewardship of this project, fire control has been approached very differently. 30 years ago soap plant, Chlorogalum pomeridianum, Calochortus superbus, and Delphinum patens grew on the farm property. During the period when everything was cut down they disappeared. Now with a different approach to fire control they have returned as well as other species. I often wonder how the seeds arrived. The nearest population of soap plant is many miles away. Arctostaphylos viscida arrives with the bird droppings. I do not think of birds eating Calochortus or Delphinium seed. The things I ponder.  :)
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

astragalus

« Reply #340 on: May 19, 2015, 01:52:00 PM »
The mimulus photos were wonderful.  The flowers are beautiful and in their coloration there is a reminder of Lewisia tweedyi.
Steep, rocky and cold in the
Hudson River Valley in New York State

Robert

« Reply #341 on: May 19, 2015, 02:20:32 PM »
The mimulus photos were wonderful.  The flowers are beautiful and in their coloration there is a reminder of Lewisia tweedyi.

Astragalus,

I agree 100% ! Mimulus aurantiacus var. grandiflorus is a fantastic plant both seen in the wild as well as grown in the garden. There are still other color forms of this species - whites to shades of brick red. Unfortunately they grow too far away for me to visit them in their native habitat at this time. I do keep an eye out for attractive forms. They are easy to root from cuttings and seed grows well too, however there is often seedling variation from seed grown plants.

Anyway, I am glad that you enjoyed the photographs. I am wanting to get into the high country, however there have been sever thunderstorms and snow everyday with no change in sight. I may like adventure, however I do not want to deal with lightning. At least the rain and snow is good for the land considering the drought conditions.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #342 on: May 19, 2015, 02:26:42 PM »
The more we ponder, the better we become - without an inquiring mind we may as well crawl into a cave and give up.    To think and to question is to live and learn.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #343 on: May 20, 2015, 08:37:22 PM »
Thanks for showing all these nice flowers, Robert!

When I look at the pictures of your Asculus I have come to the conclusion that mine have to be another species. Both the colour and the structure of the leaves are different.

I know people making infusion of Sambucus nigra flowers that tastes very good. Can you use S. mexicana as well?
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Robert

« Reply #344 on: May 21, 2015, 04:20:47 AM »
Thanks for showing all these nice flowers, Robert!

When I look at the pictures of your Asculus I have come to the conclusion that mine have to be another species. Both the colour and the structure of the leaves are different.

I know people making infusion of Sambucus nigra flowers that tastes very good. Can you use S. mexicana as well?

Trond,

Generally there is always a good crop of California Buckeye seeds. They are as big as a golf ball! - however they do sprout easily. It will be very interesting for me to see how they do with your climatic conditions.

My mistake!  :-[  Sambucus mexicana is the old name that I am still using from my college days 40 years ago. To the best of my knowledge Sambucus nigra ssp. cerulea is the current name being used. Yes, the flowers are very tasty used as a tea and so are the dried berries.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal