We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: 2015 - Robert's adventures in the Northern Sierra Nevada - California  (Read 65063 times)

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
Re: 2015 - Robert's adventures in the Northern Sierra Nevada - California
« Reply #315 on: May 07, 2015, 02:43:09 AM »

In shady locations there were still a few Calochortus albus in bloom.

Dudleya cymosa were blooming everywhere on rocky outcroppings and cliff faces. They generally like some shaded protection from the hottest sun.

Pseudobahia heeramnnii. A xeric species liking very, hot, dry and sunny locations. It does not look like much when out of bloom, however blooming plants are very attractive.

In more shaded location Dichelostemma volubile can be found. It is one of the few "climbing" bulbs. The flowering stems can twin around other plants up to a meter or more in length.

Triteleia bridgesii. I found some good patches of this beautiful species.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #316 on: May 07, 2015, 02:53:12 AM »

It is Clarkia season at the lower elevations. I saw 4 species blooming on this outing.

Clarkia biloba.

Clarkis biloba with Pseudobahia heermannii. Another good color combination.

Clarkia heterandra - a very interesting species with its small flowers. They grew abundantly on shady hillsides.

Clarkia purpurea. I only found a few plants of this attractive species.

Wallflower, Erysimum capitatum. They grow here and there in shady location.
Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #317 on: May 07, 2015, 03:04:04 AM »

Our native Delphiniums are among my favorite native plants. The low elevation species are completely xeric and do well in the summer dry shady garden. I spent a lot of time checking on them.

Delphinium hansenii. This species can generally tolerate more sun than some of the other species.

Delphinium patens. This species grows on shaded hillsides.

Here, maybe, you can see some of the color variation of this species.

A beautiful creamy lavender form of Delphinium patens.

As I move toward the top of the canyon I found good stands of Wyethia angustifolia.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #318 on: May 07, 2015, 03:13:32 AM »

Acmispon glaber, our native "Chaparral Broom".

A close up of Acmispon glaber. This species enjoys hot, dry, sunny banks. It stays fairly small, maybe .5 x .5 meters.

It was wonderful to get out again! For me the scent of the chaparral and pine forest is intoxicating - pure pleasure and heaven.

Definitely a successful outing. We will see what the next outing brings.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #319 on: May 07, 2015, 09:25:46 AM »
Greatly enjoyed that trip Robert. The flowers of California would make a wonderful Natural History programme with references to their ecology and ethnobotanical uses in the past (even present). Kind of brings the whole landscape to life in the same way as reading some of the American plant explorers of the past. The frustration is not being able to get out into the landscape on foot and see it directly as you do. Learning a great deal from your adventures  :).
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #320 on: May 07, 2015, 11:22:20 AM »
I agree with Tim. I too am learning lots from your reports , Robert, as well as vicariously enjoying  these trips more simply as  "outings". Thank you!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Robert

« Reply #321 on: May 07, 2015, 02:00:58 PM »
We were awaken today by the sound of thunder. It appears that yesterday's trip was good timing. The rain and cool temperatures will be good for the land and prolong the blooming season.

For me the next 4 days will be culture shock - visiting the big city.  :P  However, I will be getting a much needed rest.

When I get back early next week there will be much to do as seed gathering season has started. Maybe I will not miss the seed exchange dead-line this year.  :'(

Thank you all for the encouraging comments!

Until next week...

Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #322 on: May 08, 2015, 06:44:51 PM »
Robert,

It is still a great pleasure to follow your steps on your outings! And of course see all the beautiful flowers :)
Hope you got a real "rotbløyte" ;) of rain the other day and I wish you a nice time in the big city!

Regarding my California Buckeye it is much darker than your plants, also when the leaves are fully developed. Mine is more like this: http://www.taboomerphotography.com/nature/NAT0015.html

I would love to try some from seed ;D
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

ruweiss

« Reply #323 on: May 08, 2015, 08:32:31 PM »
Robert,
Thank you so much for your interesting reports of your native floral gems.
Please keep on the good work.
Rudi Weiss,Waiblingen,southern Germany,
climate zone 8a,elevation 250 m

Robert

« Reply #324 on: May 11, 2015, 03:11:59 AM »
Robert,
Thank you so much for your interesting reports of your native floral gems.
Please keep on the good work.

Ruweiss

I very much appreciate your encouraging comments. Yes, I very much desire to continue this project. I have kept a journal of my outings for many years. My skills have improved tremendously since I started the postings on the forum. I hope that all who follow the diary benefit as much as I have.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #325 on: May 14, 2015, 02:09:36 AM »

It has been a very busy week. There is much work to be done to prepare for the fire season at the farm. Today I went into town to get a few items. I should have known better than to take the scenic route - a 45 minute trip turned into a 3 hour outing. The scenery is fantastic and there are still many wildflowers in bloom.

Philadelphus lewisii is just starting into bloom. In some areas the whole understorey can be in bloom with this species. The fragrance on a warm day can be very nice.

Kechiella breviflora grows on dry, sunny cliff faces and ledges. At one time Kechiella was in the genus Penstemon. It is a very tough xeric species.

Collinsia heterophylla is found on shady slopes. Large patches are extremely showy. They are looking great in our garden right now.

Collinsia tinctoria enjoys shady slopes too. I have never found C. heterophylla and C. tinctoria growing in mixed stands, however at times they do grow in close proximity to each other.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #326 on: May 14, 2015, 02:27:31 AM »

The scenic route traverses the south canyon face of the South Fork of the American River. Quite a few families live out this road so one needs to drive with caution. Most of the time there is little traffic and it is very quiet except the sounds of nature.

A this time of year, Penstemon heterophylla is blooming on the sunny road banks. In places the display is spectacular, especially when there is a mixture of wildflowers.

The main reason why I drove out here was to get a good photograph of Dichelostemma congestum. It was far too windy. This is the best I could do.  :P  There is always next time.

The weather has been very cool with rain showers at times. Thunderstorms are expected the next few days. Monday may be the first opportunity I get for an all day outing. There is still much to see at the lower elevations. Snow and cold weather has slowed the plants at the higher elevations.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #327 on: May 14, 2015, 08:51:26 AM »
Robert,

if I had driven that road I think the trip had lasted several more hours :)

I like the colour of the Penstemon!

What kind of wood do the Philadelphus prefer?
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Yann

• Journal Access Group
  • Growing and collecting plants since i was young
« Reply #328 on: May 14, 2015, 09:53:15 AM »
Robert again a fantastic report of your countryside and mountains. Does Calochortus albus always grow in shady conditions?
I always lost them under the glass, may be i need to shade a few.
North of France

Robert

« Reply #329 on: May 14, 2015, 02:08:39 PM »
Robert,

if I had driven that road I think the trip had lasted several more hours :)

I like the colour of the Penstemon!

What kind of wood do the Philadelphus prefer?

Trond,

Philadedelphus lewisii generally grows on north and east facings canyon sides. They grow in somewhat open oak-pine forest, the predominant species being Pinus ponderosa (Ponderosa Pine) and Quercus kelloggii (California Black Oak). I have to say that our forests are generally a jumble of many different species. This does make things interesting.

Yes, I have to be careful when traveling the scenic route. It is very easy for me to get carried away and spend far too much time checking on the plants, etc.  ;D
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal