We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: 2015 - Robert's adventures in the Northern Sierra Nevada - California  (Read 65003 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: 2015 - Robert's adventures in the Northern Sierra Nevada - California
« Reply #300 on: April 26, 2015, 03:41:07 PM »
There couldn't be many better ways Robert.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #301 on: April 26, 2015, 07:08:43 PM »
Robert,

Glad to hear that!
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #302 on: May 01, 2015, 03:14:56 AM »
My father felt good today so my wife and I took him for a short ride up the mountain.

This was a quick and fast ride. We made it to the 6,000 ft. (1,829 meters) elevation with camera in hand.

This route has many good views of the Crystal Range. I wish there was more snow! Maybe next year.

It is "early" spring at this elevation.

Viola purpurea was blooming everywhere.

In moist area along the road there were masses of Five Spot, Nemophila maculata.

At this elevation there can be thickets of Bitter Cherry, Prunus emarginata.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #303 on: May 01, 2015, 03:26:42 AM »

The Wallflowers, Erysimum capitatum were just starting to bloom.

Pinewoods Lousewort, Pedicularis semibarbata. Many of the other Pedicularis species have flowers that show themselves much better.

We made the best of a quick trip. I am sure there was much more to see, however it will have to wait for another day. Starting next week I should have more time available for botanizing. The season is progressing quickly. It was 70 F (21C) at 6,000 feet (1,829 meters), and 30 C at the farm. I have already missed much this season.
Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #304 on: May 02, 2015, 04:09:07 AM »
I was able to get out for another short ride today.

Today I took the scenic back route from town.

I was very happy to scout things out, as there is still many plants flowering at the lower elevations - 1,000 ft. (305 meters).

There was not much that I could do as I has both of my elderly parents with me - both 90 + years old.

Triteleia ixioides - they have been blooming for a month or more. A progression of this species coming into bloom.

There were whole banks of Castilleja lineariloba blooming with other wildflowers such as Gillia capitata, Dudleyas, and many more. Triteleia bridgesii was blooming. I took several photographs, but none of them turned out. Bummer!  :(  This one is a beauty - hopefully they will last until next week, when I will have much more time.

With so many wildflowers in bloom it is important to keep an eye on the road. It is a long way to the canyon below and the road is narrow and one lane at times.

The first of the Clarkias are now blooming. This one is Clarkia biloba.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #305 on: May 02, 2015, 04:19:48 AM »

Wyethia angustifolia - This is the last of this genus to bloom at the lower elevations.

It is also Penstemon time - Penstemon heterophyllus.

There is variation in the flower color, some darker, some lighter, etc. This is an extremely xeric species, growing on hot, dry banks, in more or less full sun.

I am eager to get out next week, as there is still much in bloom at the lower elevation. It has also been very hot for this time of year - 90 F (32 C) today. I hope that the flowers can hold out. The weather is to cool in the next few days. This will help.  :)

Until next time.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #306 on: May 04, 2015, 03:48:55 AM »

A few more photographs from the ride the other day.

California Buckeye, Aesculus californiaca. They tend to grow open to the sky on north or east facing hillsides. Trees in full bloom are very beautiful.

Calochortus monophyllus. I often find them growing and blooming near Calochortus albus. I understand that the two species can cross with each other, however I have never found any that appear to be hybrids. The late blooming species have not started yet. i.e. C. ventustus, C. superbus, etc.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Hoy

« Reply #307 on: May 04, 2015, 07:35:22 PM »
Glad to see "your" plants Robert as we still have an early spring here! My California Buckeye has just got some tiny "mouse ears" (and I don't expect any flowers!).
Interesting to see the lousewort. The last couple of years I have tried to establish different hemiparasitic plants around. So far I have been lucky with one Castilleja and one Pedicularis.

Robert

« Reply #308 on: May 05, 2015, 04:14:40 AM »
Glad to see "your" plants Robert as we still have an early spring here! My California Buckeye has just got some tiny "mouse ears" (and I don't expect any flowers!).
Interesting to see the lousewort. The last couple of years I have tried to establish different hemiparasitic plants around. So far I have been lucky with one Castilleja and one Pedicularis.

Trond,

I have a similar fascination with hemiparasitic plants. I have yet to try Pedicularis. The some of the local Castilleja have been satisfactory so far, others from higher elevations have not done well. I have to admit that I have not put much effort into the project lately. For me, an interesting puzzle to resolve.

It would be good to experiment with others. There is a good chance I can help you out in this regard.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #309 on: May 05, 2015, 07:47:46 AM »
Robert,
Thank you very much for the ongoing report concerning the most impressive flora of your region.
Enjoy it a lot!

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Robert

« Reply #310 on: May 05, 2015, 12:40:45 PM »
Robert,
Thank you very much for the ongoing report concerning the most impressive flora of your region.
Enjoy it a lot!

Gerd

Gerd,

I have not given up hope of finding blooming plants of Viola sheltonii. The weather has turned cool again, with rain showers in the forecast, some snow in the higher terrain. This will certainly slow everything down. Starting tomorrow (Wednesday) I will be back out in the field with much fewer restrictions.  :)

How the plants will get along in the higher terrain this season is a mystery. This season the Sierra Nevada received its lowest snow pack in our recorded weather history of about 150 years.

I encourages me to hear that my efforts are enjoyed and appreciated. Thank you!
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Hoy

« Reply #311 on: May 06, 2015, 02:36:31 PM »
Robert,
Thanks ;)

BTW, here is my California Buckeye - not as advanced as yours!

Robert

« Reply #312 on: May 06, 2015, 03:24:26 PM »
Robert,
Thanks ;)

BTW, here is my California Buckeye - not as advanced as yours!

Trond,

The new growth on your Buckeye is beautiful!

Here in California I have never seen Aesculus californica with new growth that is reddish in color, I always see new growth that is green. Also, the new growth is smooth.   ???  Maybe your climate?

Are you able to import Aesculus seed? It is large. This fall I could send you a box of seed. Maybe for you it would be interesting to grow some of our local seed on and see how they grow and compare. Will they be similar?

Any way, thanks for sharing the photograph.

Today, I will be able to do some field work!  :)  I will report soon.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #313 on: May 07, 2015, 02:17:53 AM »
Wednesday, 6 May 2015

Weather: Partly Cloudy

Temperature:  High:74 F (23c)  Low:44 F (6.5 C)

Today I scouted the South Fork of the American River. I wanted to catch the late season bloomers at the lower elevations. I started at 1,191 feet (393 meters) traversing the northern canyon wall. Near the end of the outing I moved to the top of the canyon at 2,598 feet (792 meters).

Despite the drought conditions there was still plenty of plants in bloom.

Gilia capitata was blooming abundantly in most the sunny locations at the lower elevations of this trip.

G. capitata - The blossoms attract many insects.

Gumweed, Grinelia camporum is an attactive late bloomer. The phyllaries of this species are very distinctive.

The top of the flower buds are full of a sticky liquid that this useful for the treatment of poison oak.

By the way, the clay treatment that I used for first aid was successful in preventing poison oak on a previous outing. Gumweed works too.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #314 on: May 07, 2015, 02:30:35 AM »

Acmispon argophyllus var. fremontii. This species was still blooming. They grow on rock outcroppings and cliff faces that are extremely dry, sunny and hot.

Erigeron foliosus var. hartwegii another xeric species.

Here it is growing with Pseudobahia heermannii. I thought that the two made a good combination.

California Buckeye, Aesculus californica in full bloom. I my mind a very attractive species when in bloom.

I found one Buckeye still in active growth. A good look at the new growth.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal