We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: 2015 - Robert's adventures in the Northern Sierra Nevada - California  (Read 65052 times)

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
Re: 2015 - Robert's adventures in the Northern Sierra Nevada - California
« Reply #225 on: April 02, 2015, 05:12:34 PM »

I did not find anything different along the creek so I decided to work my way back up this rocky slope to the Dam site. Maybe I might find Lewisia serrata among the rocks.

This turned out to be a good decision as there were many good plants to see. This Phacelia species, perhaps P. stebbinsii, grew in among the rocks, as well as Eriogonums, Lomatiums, Delphiniums, and many others.

Cheilanthes gracillima grew in the rocks.

This species is another one of our xeric fern species.

I worked my way about 267 feet (81 meters) up this slope, enjoying all the different plants. Unfortunately, I had climbed too high and had to work my my down to the dam site.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #226 on: April 02, 2015, 05:29:52 PM »

From high on the slope, there was a good view of some of the burned forest from last year's King Fire.

As always, the time to turn back came too soon.

On the way back I was tempted to stop again along Peavine Ridge. This turned out to be very good as I found many Viola purpurea in bloom.

The flower in the background on the right hand side, shows the back of the flower of this species and the reddish color of the back side of the upper two petals.

Viola lobata was another Violet species that I saw frequently. This is the first flower, spent, that I have seen on this species anywhere this season!

Lomatium species grew with the Viola purpurea (generally very sunny locations). I generally do not like to take samples of plants home with me. There is a whole different set of Lomatium species that grow at this elevation that I would like to learn about. There were many plants, so I took part home to examine more closely. I wish that I could come out more often, then I would not feel I needed to do such things.
Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #227 on: April 02, 2015, 05:51:14 PM »

While looking around for Violets, I found this beautiful mat of Ceanotheus prostrata with fantastic bluish flowers. I will come back to get cuttings from this plant, it certainly was an excellent form!

Here and there were plants of Fritillaria micrantha getting ready to bloom. Many of the plants had there tops eaten off by the deer.

Another surprise were blooming plants of Calochortus minimus. I have to admit that I am unsure what to call this plants. I use many keys, books, and other sources to identify plants. Some refer to it as C. nudus. Unfortunately, I have found no consistency in the naming - everyone claiming they are correct. I feel helpless with this one.  ???   :(

Another plant I like is Sierra Morning Glory, Calystegia malacophylla. As the season progresses the stems will vine around with attractive wooly white stems and foliage. The white flowers are nice too.

In a rocky area nearby were many Lupines that had finished blooming. They looked like they could have been some form of Lupinus lepidus.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #228 on: April 02, 2015, 05:57:37 PM »

In the rocky open area with the Lupines, were more Dodecatheon hendersonii aff. They grew in the shade of stunted Acrtostaphylos patula. I wish that this photograph had turned out better. The Dodecatheon in this area were outstanding!

There was so much to see and time got away from me. Time to return to the farm, but not without one last look at the Crystal Range.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #229 on: April 02, 2015, 06:22:57 PM »
Hugely enjoyable as usual Robert. On one of our national news programmes earlier this week was an item, and I'll have to resort to memory here (dangerous in my case!), about the Californian State authorities having to vastly reduce water supplies to companies, farms and individuals owing to continuing drought. It was being suggested that lawned areas in public spaces be converted to plantings able to exist in drought conditions and severe limitations be placed on farmers wishing to use water for irrigation.

Sorry you didn't see Lewisia serrata, maybe next time.

According to my Calochortus book (Gerritsen and Parsons) C. minimus and C. nudus have been mixed up by quite a few Botanists. Too much for me to quote here but, unless I've missed something there is one particular diagnostic tool that seems clear in the colour of the flowers. minmus- greenish/white. nudus-pink to lavender.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Robert

« Reply #230 on: April 03, 2015, 12:32:41 AM »
Hugely enjoyable as usual Robert. On one of our national news programmes earlier this week was an item, and I'll have to resort to memory here (dangerous in my case!), about the Californian State authorities having to vastly reduce water supplies to companies, farms and individuals owing to continuing drought. It was being suggested that lawned areas in public spaces be converted to plantings able to exist in drought conditions and severe limitations be placed on farmers wishing to use water for irrigation.

Sorry you didn't see Lewisia serrata, maybe next time.

According to my Calochortus book (Gerritsen and Parsons) C. minimus and C. nudus have been mixed up by quite a few Botanists. Too much for me to quote here but, unless I've missed something there is one particular diagnostic tool that seems clear in the colour of the flowers. minmus- greenish/white. nudus-pink to lavender.

David,

It seems you have a very good memory!  :)

My brother is here right now taking care of my parents, however I was at their house and picked up the "Sacramento Bee" the "Big City" newspaper. The Thursday, 2 April 2015 headline is 'UNPRECEDDENTED' CUTS, California drought, State entering uncharted water territory; 25% cut is mandatory, a first in state's history; Sweeping order slaps reductions on urban water use.

I already knew that I was out of business as a farmer and have something else to do, even if it is not much (better than nothing).

I guess I could show photographs of the dead and dying Rhododendrons in the garden, however it might seem depressing. I am not depressed at all, as for me it is an opportunity to move forward with our California native plants and other xeric plants from around the world. There is a huge need (even without the drought) here, both for creative new plant material, as well as the need for improved design and gardening technique. Folks around here want nice gardens, however they are very busy with livelihood, children, etc. It is difficult for them to even find the time to learn something new about gardening. A huge opportunity for me to help out on this planet.

Yes, I was hoping to see Lewisia serrata. I will be checking with the ranger station to see when the area might be open to the public. I think that they are doing salvage logging in this area (removing burned, dead trees). Very dangerous! I am glad that I am not foolish enough to walk in.

Thank you for the information about Calochortus minimus. By any chance do you know what the prevailing though is, i.e. concerning the naming? I get confused enough with all the plants I see on my outings. I am running into the same situation with the genus Phacelia and others (names are dropped, but what is the new name?  ???  ). Somehow I wish to convey my thoughts and ideas in a way that is understood. Or maybe this is just how it is on this planet.  :)  The more I participate in this forum and work with the plants in nature, more I find that I am so ignorant of the grand scheme of Nature. Mr. Gandhi talked about becoming Zero, maybe this was a hint for me. Maybe not such a bad thing, better to be happy than get too concerned about shifting plant names and such!  ;)   :)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 12:34:59 AM by Robert »
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #231 on: April 03, 2015, 01:42:16 PM »
Robert,
When returned from a 10days trip to Burgenland/Austria I was greeted by your latest set of pics and because of my special
interest in violets I am very excited to find those of V. purpurea and V. lobata. Thank you very much for including them.
I would be glad if you could add some details about the special conditions (soil, sun or shade, surrounding vegetation, winter minima) in which they grow.

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Robert

« Reply #232 on: April 03, 2015, 03:25:02 PM »
Robert,
When returned from a 10days trip to Burgenland/Austria I was greeted by your latest set of pics and because of my special
interest in violets I am very excited to find those of V. purpurea and V. lobata. Thank you very much for including them.
I would be glad if you could add some details about the special conditions (soil, sun or shade, surrounding vegetation, winter minima) in which they grow.

Gerd

Gerd,

Due to the dry / drought conditions the season is progressing very quickly. The good news is the weather is about to make a huge change in the next few days. Where I traveled this past week will be covered with snow in the next few days, with even more cold weather and snow in the forecast. This will slow things down. Most likely it will be several weeks before I can return to the higher terrain to see the small pants. The snow will have melted. The violets and other small plants are very tough and will be okay. I have found a new site where Viola sheltonii grows. Most likely I will find other sites, as I have a good feeling about the habitat this species prefers.

There are other Viola species higher yet up the mountain, still dormant and under what little snow there is right now. I keep field notes on all sorts of things. Please, always feel free to ask questions. I try to keep my postings of general interest, however there are many details I am more than happy to provide, when asked.

A few things I have observed about Viola purpurea and V. lobata:

Viola purpurea seems to prefers much more sun than V. lobata. At the lower elevations, V. purpurea grows in open areas, with high shade from tall trees, generally conifers such as Pinus ponderosa and Pseudotsuaga menziesii. At higher elevations, V. purpurea can grow in both full sun and the filtered high shade of tall conifers, mostly P. ponderosa and P. jeffreyi.

Both species grow in a light clay soil, most of the time with many small and not so small stones and rocks. The soil is acid, pH 6.5, plus or minus, however never lower than 5.5 and never higher than 7.0 . The soil is highly mineral, however there is some organic material in and on the soil. Generally pine needles on the soil. V. lobata seems to prefer more organic material in and on the soil.

When observing Viola lobata, there are indications that this species prefers more seasonal moisture. Plants tend to congregate near subtle depressions where more moisture will collect. With both species the soil drainage very good.

Both species grow where the soil becomes "bone" dry during the summer and early autumn. The plants are dormant at this time.

Both species grow were winter temperatures can get quite low by California standards, -12 to -17.5 C, sometimes even lower. The plants do not start growth until the snow melts, however there may or may not be a return to snow cover when the plants are in growth. I have never observed "frost damage" on there new growth, even at temperatures as low as about -8 C.

There are more details that I am sure that I have forgotten, so please ask about other specific details. Also, you may want to check out some of my earlier postings that include V. douglasii.

I use the vernacular, so I hope that this information is helpful.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

GordonT

« Reply #233 on: April 03, 2015, 04:05:53 PM »
Hello Robert,
I have been quietly enjoying your posts since joining the club. My partner grew up in California, so your observations have captivated me. I would like to explore more of the state- beyond the urban centers. I have started to test some California natives here in Nova Scotia (I've been growing Pacific Coast Iris species from seed- to find out how well they would cope with our winters.) That Ceanothus prostratus drew me to finally comment. What sort of winters would it experience under normal conditions? If I am lucky in germinating Ceanothus americanus this year, I would love to try this one as well. We miss the rich blue cultivars that thrived on the west coast.
Southwestern Nova Scotia,
Zone 6B or above , depending on the year.

Robert

« Reply #234 on: April 03, 2015, 10:11:28 PM »
Gordon,

I agree Ceanothus prostratus in its best forms is a fantastic plant. At its higher elevation limits 0 F (-17.5 C) could be considered close to its low temperature limit. Some forms from the east side of the Sierra Nevada I am sure could withstand even lower temperatures. Consistent snow cover is helpful. Unfortunately, this species is more likely to give up and die due to summer moisture, both rainfall and humidity. Even here in California it is not the easiest plant to get established in a garden setting. I frequently see die-back on plants in the wild. I was very pleased to see no die back on the plant pictured!

In its natural habitat it is found growing in a light acid clay soil, under the high shade of conifers, such as Douglas Fir and Ponderosa Pine. The soil drainage is always excellent and often the soil is very deep, so roots can go down deep into the soil for moisture during the dry summer months. The crown of this species likes to stay dry. Also, keep in mind the temperatures can get quite high during the summer, with many days close to 38 C, in most locations where this species grows. The relative humidity is very low too, 10 - 15%.

Having said all of this I encourage you to try this species. If you can get plants established I know you will be very pleased!
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #235 on: April 04, 2015, 08:51:19 AM »
Robert,

I have also read in the newspapers here of the cut in water usage in California. I can't understand that people need to irrigate all those lawns!

Hopefully the most of the native flora will survive. It is as always a pleasure to follow your steps. Some gems you showed this time (wont name any though as they are all nice!) :)
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #236 on: April 04, 2015, 09:32:38 AM »
Robert,
Thank you so much for your detailed descriptions - I would like I will ever gain your power of observation
 - just impressive!

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Robert

« Reply #237 on: April 06, 2015, 03:26:42 AM »
Robert,

I have also read in the newspapers here of the cut in water usage in California. I can't understand that people need to irrigate all those lawns!

Hopefully the most of the native flora will survive. It is as always a pleasure to follow your steps. Some gems you showed this time (wont name any though as they are all nice!) :)

Trond,

Our little bungalow in Sacramento is one of the few places that does not have a lawn. However, we have certainly made our share of mistakes in landscaping! This is the third major drought here in California within my lifetime. I was able to get plants, such as Rhododendrons, through the first two periods of drought, however the pressures of increased population, the severity of this drought and other factors have changed everything this time around. There are many high water use plants that I am having to let go. I do not see this as such a bad situation as it is certainly an opportunity to learn and change to something that is much more appropriate for our climate. It may seem odd that I am enjoying the change. Many of our neighbors need help too. The folks next to us in Sacramento just had their lawn removed and replaced with so called drought tolerant plants by a professional landscaper. Some of the new plants are already dying, as they are not truly xeric plants, such as Woodwardia Fern and Japanese Maple. I feel sad for both the neighbors and the landscaper as they both seem to be very good people, that just do not know how to handle the situation. My wife and I see this situation repeating itself here and there throughout the neighborhood. Most are keeping there lawn however. We shall see what happens.

I think that our native flora will do just fine, however stay tuned as I hope to keep reporting on our native flora well into the future. We will see what happens.

I know next to nothing about the flora of Norway. I hope to learn much from your postings. I certainly have a keen interest!
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #238 on: April 06, 2015, 03:39:37 AM »
Robert,
Thank you so much for your detailed descriptions - I would like I will ever gain your power of observation
 - just impressive!

Gerd

Gerd,

I hope that the review of some of the information on our native violets was as helpful to you as it was for me. There are still many more details.

As I come across more of our native violets during this coming season I will included a few more details in my postings, as I know that you are very interested in this Genus. Please ask questions for the details that are of interest to you! I try to stay very open, to learn something new from the same species each time I encounter them. We are getting winter-like snow now. This is very good, however I will have to wait for the snow to melt before visiting the violets at the higher elevations.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 03:41:30 AM by Robert »
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #239 on: April 06, 2015, 08:10:48 AM »
Robert - our flora in the UK is relatively impoverished just as that of Scandinavia, but it is very closely studied and monitored by natural historians, especially the Botanical Society of the British Isles and, more recently, Plantlife. There is very much the same fascination that you find in California even if far fewer species to see and record. From our personal point of view we use our garden very much as a resource for propagating material for the nursery, and as a 'shop window' to show gardeners the much wider diversity, especially of natural (though mostly not native) species, that can be grown in the garden. It must be the growers in California who have special interest in the native species and try to encourage others to think about gardening with them more - it's curious how easily you can take what is around you for granted. Maybe more Californians will wake up to the wonders of the natural vegetation given the present climate? Here keen gardeners tend to always reduce their lawns in order to grow many more interesting plants! Those who are not keen cover their front gardens in tarmac for cars :(. The same must be true in other very rich and interesting floristic regions such as South Africa and Australia where the landscape seems limitless and few gardeners actually grow the plants around them! It's good that there are those few people with such a deep and enquiring interest in the flora around them and a desire to understand plants much more.
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal